• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Sold, 9 swords

Nathan the Machinist

KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
What is a ninja sword?

I'm glad you asked.

I have no idea...

20240209_115412.jpg20240209_115422.jpg20240209_115427.jpg20240209_115445.jpg

Believe it or not. Some aspects of our heat treat are actually not completely 100% totally easy to do perfect every time and the swords were especially challenging.

In this situation, steel was exposed to oxygen at a temperature where we lost a little bit of the carbon on the skin of the steel in a process called decarbonization.

Hiccups were expected in this pre-order which is why we made 145 swords for an order of 100.

And there have been other losses.

But, 32 took on some decarbonization. About 20 of those are salvageable. This sale is for 9 that are ready.

Historical swords were made with lower carbon steel cladding on the outside to prevent them from breaking in hard impacts. This is because (gasp) the steel that historical Japanese swords were made from was actually TRASH, which is what necessitated the development of their outstanding forging skills and techniques. Our steel, on the other hand, is the best in the world and does not need a soft cladding for phenomenal durability. Our steel doesn't break and would cut those historical swords in half. The lower yield point on the decarburized surface makes the sword take a set sooner during a harsh bend and is not something I want on my work.

So, as a way to salvage these swords and get them into the hands of you high quality hooligans, we have ground the edge back .030" and also ground the primaries and the flats down into good steel. Areas that do not lend themselves to grinding have been chemically etched back. I can say with confidence, these swords are 100% up to any task you want to press them to.

$1,600.20240209_115455.jpg

Back