Some SAK love

Yes... I love them.

I own about 100 SAKs and I think I can call me a collector of them. I like to use them. They are great knives... wonderful pieces for some many tasks.

But I tend to carry a traditional pocket knife for ... well... they just feel better in hand and in pocket.

I see a lot of love for the alox scales. I’ve been tempted, and watched some on the auction site, but the price!
I was watching an old cross alox soldier when it was bidding around $10, but the sharks came swarming, and I let it go.

Plus, I can’t count the times I used the tweezers to pull out splinters in my wood shop.

Maybe I ought to pick up an old military Camillus utility knife as a poor man’s alox sak. Or would that be an AAK?

SAK pioneer pruner old cross in a beautiful blue!!!

xe3prt.jpg
23hro83.jpg

Is there a trick to using the cork screw to open wine bottles? Never could get them to work comfortably for me. A friend has a locking Swiza knife along the same lines, and it was much better as a cork puller (although it is not much of a beer bottle opener).

Is there a trick to using the cork screw to open wine bottles? Never could get them to work comfortably for me. A friend has a locking Swiza knife along the same lines, and it was much better as a cork puller (although it is not much of a beer bottle opener).

I agree, I've never found my old Woodsman (similar to the current Huntsman) to have enough leverage. I get much better results with a cheap waiter's corkscrew.

I lost my favorite pocket knife about 29 years ago when I was a young Marine, an Old Timer 340T. I was a bit distraught over the loss as I had been carrying that knife for several years and used it it for most anything. That's when I bought my first Swiss Army Knife, a small Tinker (that I still carry today) that I could fasten to my belt loop with some parachute cord. It's traveled the world with me and heck, maybe I'll tell my daughters to bury me with it in case I want to try to escape:)

But one SAK I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is the Victorinox Hunter. I know this is a knife forum and not a hunting forum but I've recommended this knife to many a hunter. I was moose hunting in Canada 14 years ago and I shot a young bull. When it came time to go to work on it I pulled out my Grandad's Western fixed blade he'd given me. The guide pulls out a Hunter and opens the little saw. I asked him what he was going to do with that, he just said "watch". It wasn't chainsaw fast but it split the brisket quick enough and we made short work of that moose, primarily with the SAK Hunter, and had it ready to start packing. When I returned home I promptly bought two, one for me and one for my wife's uncle who was on the hunt with me.

Since then I've given one to my good friend who I do 90% of my hunting with and his son. I will still carry a belt knife in the woods but I can't think of a hunt I've been on that the SAK Hunter hasn't been with me. And when game is down, it does most of the work.

I agree, I've never found my old Woodsman (similar to the current Huntsman) to have enough leverage. I get much better results with a cheap waiter's corkscrew.
The Swiza is the only knife with a corkscrew that I have seen work well in action. I may need to try one out myself, but the cap lifter issue has prevented me from doing so. They do have a version with the locking blade and just the cork screw and an awl, but to me that is indeed pretty much just a step above a waiter's corkscrew.

Thanks for the ID, leghog. I've had that model on my "watch list" for quite a while, but in my infrequent eBay checks, the prices are crazy!! Patience is supposed to be a virtue, though. :)

- GT
I've also wanted a settler for a while but like you, not quite willing to pay the prices.

That´s the 108 mm Mauer model.

it is pretty the same like the GAK but with an added clip point to the knife. They are collectible. Tend to sell sell like collectibles on the secondary market. It is a discontinued model.

I bought my Vic Mauser at what I consider a great price here in BF on the sales forum.

Last edited:
Back