Somebody convince me I'm making a bad choice...

Hey dude... I don't want to be argumentative but ;)... have you tried this??? The KBAC-27D seems to be a robust piece of equipment... but I'm imagining overcurrent protection coming into play with this scenario... or worst case, a puff of smoke and no more VFD. :eek:

A lot of motors and drives are dual voltage rated; wiring it one way or the other will allow it to run on either 110V or 220V. I don't think javand was recommending anything dodgy.

As far as the VFD choice, I'm currently working on a couple grinder projects. One of them uses a 2hp Leeson TEFC 3450RPM motor with a KBAC 27D controller that will run on 220 to power my new horizontal grinder. That combo recommendation came directly from Brian Fellhoelter. Last time I checked, Brian knew what he was talkin' about!:D

J, if that motor and controller works for Brian it will certainly work fine for whatever you and I have to throw at it!:thumbup:

Thanks Jonny, I agree. Or maybe I should say, if it's good enough for you it's good enough for me.:)

My neighbor came over and figured out a good way to get 220 to my shop.

My revised plan is a 2 hp motor on the KBAC 27D running on 220 power. I won't know what to do with all that power, mwuahahahaha.:D

Sounds good J:thumbup: I think that will be a solid setup that will serve you well! I think we take things to the overkill level sometimes with our setups. My KMG currently has a 1.5hp Leeson motor with the step pulleys. I normally use the middle speed to do most of my grinding work and I have never, not even once stalled the belt during normal bevel grinding, profiling, or anything else. It's got great power.

We love to say that we were able to take a 1.5" square bar of steel and put every ounce of our weight into the platen, shooting five foot long spark rockets all over the shop without ever bogging down the grinder......but I can't say I ever really needed that kind of performance to make a knife. Sure it's nice to have a hog monster of a grinder but I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep over the setup you're putting together. You're gonna haves FUN!!;)

ROFL, I just visualized those spark rockets flying. Then I pictured the look on my wife's face watching me do that. Hilarious!

Oh yeah, I'm going to have FUN!!

A modified 1x42 Kalamazoo and I am really starting to feel limited by it. I need more speed, power and surface area. :D

OMG, this is so humbling.
I too, use a 1x42 for small blades. Can I have yours when you upgrade? it must contain some magic not found in my Craftsman. :-D

-Daizee

Ha ha, no I better keep it. I plan to keep using it to put on edges and do some detail work. Plus it's my good luck grinder. :D

Thanks man!

Jared, all I've ever used was a 1 1/2 hp Leeson Farm Duty motor with my KMG with the 3 step pulley. It runs on 110. I've done thousands of blades with no bog down even doing large, thick blades. Just keep the drive belt tight enough and you'll have no issues with bogging down the grinder.
Scott

I havent' read all the posts, but here's some stuff I've learned.

KBAC27D....110V or 220V input easy to switch voltages, just dont plug it in to 220V untill you switch the jumper in the box. It will run up to 2hp motor on 220 or 110, does suprisingly well on 110.

KBAC29.......220 volt input, can run 2hp on single phase input 3hp on 3 phase input.

I'll take a 2 hp 1725 motor over a 3hp 3450 rpm motor. This depends on the rpm range you will be running. If you plan on ever running a small wheel attachment, forget about the 3450rpm, MY OPINION, from my experience.

There is a new controller out from KB that will do 3hp on single phase power. I think it's the KBAC29-1P, the only problem with 3 hp/3450 rpm motor is you lose a LOT of torque at slower belt speeds (my experience).

Also whatever VFD you use, I would add a fuse to the power in. The 27d typically calls for 25amp on 110v, and 20 amp on 220v. It's real simple my grinders use the same fuses as my truck, and I still get them from NAPA. It's cheap insurance.

Don't talk on the phone, while checking jumper settings, with the grinder plugged in......nothing like near electricution while explaining settings to prove ones intelligence

Also whatever VFD you use, I would add a fuse to the power in. The 27d typically calls for 25amp on 110v, and 20 amp on 220v. It's real simple my grinders use the same fuses as my truck, and I still get them from NAPA. It's cheap insurance.

Should that be 15amp ?

I'm glad your paying attention, cause it sounds funny, but bigger duse on 110V.

From KB's manual page 10, table 4.

The input line should get fused with a:
25amp fuse on 115volts
20amp fuse on 208/230

The higher the voltage, the less amps to get the same power. 110v grinders will blow the 20 amp fuses pretty easily.

NOTE: these amperages were out KB's manual and vary for each controller; 24D, 27D, 29.

Fuse not duse, dang "d" right next to the "f"

I'd hate to see you type a story about ducks. :p

Thanks for your help on that Travis. I have the 27D on it's way to me now and need to get the toggle switches ordered up. I'll throw in a fuse as well. One day I will have one of your sweet grinders too. One step at a time now though.

Would this KIT with this FUSE work for running 110 power? I plan to run 110 at first, then once the 220 is hooked up switch everything over.

ROFL, I just visualized those spark rockets flying. Then I pictured the look on my wife's face watching me do that. Hilarious!

Oh yeah, I'm going to have FUN!!

If she sees you doing something that manly, she may make a pass at you, unless you are wearing your frilly fancy girl jeans........then it will just ruin the manly appeal.

Let's recap......huge shower of sparks with your studly muscles strainining to give your lady a show = amorous wife.

Same vuisual.......with the addition of faancy girl jeans........no go......

Any questuions?

Make sure to post lots of pics! I can hardly conceal my jealousy!

Sounds like you probably have this figured out now, but I have the 27D w/ 1.5 HP motor on standard household 110 (beware though, the 27D does NOT like GFCI circuits). The only time I have any issues with bogging down the motor are at extremely low RPMs, and it is rare that I run the motor that slowly during normal use.

If money was really tight for me, I'd be awfully tempted to try out the free 1 HP motor with VFD to start with, and then if I wasn't happy with the performance I'd convert that setup to a disc (or return it to the giver) and upgrade the motor on my 2 x 72.

Good luck!

If you check out the KB datasheet for these drives, the KBAC-29 only handles up to 2hp on a 220 single-phase source with a max continuous load current of 6.7amps... the exact same as the KBAC-27D. From what I can tell, the only reason you'd want a KBAC-29 is if you wanted to run a 3hp motor... but then you'd need a three-phase source.
Erin

Kbac 29 (1p) model #10001 powers a 3hp on 240 input single phase.

Okay, all the parts are in except my wheels and I have hooked it all up. KBAC 27d connected to 110 power running a 2 hp motor. I adjusted all the trim pot settings according to beaumonts website and switched the jumper to 115. The last question I have is should I switch the jumper from the 2 hp setting it came from the factory to 1 1/2 hp?

I'm ready to plug it in and run it but I'm chicken.

Try it J, either it'll automatically derate it to 1.5hp or it'll run for a few secs and start beeping at you after it stops the motor from an overrage. If it stops it, just reset the jumper lower. Either way it shouldn't damage the vfd, these kbac's are pretty resistant to our idiocy.

I've had it play out both ways with weird motors, I've tested tons of good, bad, and way over rated hp motors with my 27, and though one real bad motor made me end up having to adjust some pots later for whatever reason, it's still going strong. I still use just it to test scrap motors, since the 29 is on my main grinder now.

Thanks Javan, worked like a charm! Now once the wheels and belts get here I'll be in business!

Back