Somebody convince me I'm making a bad choice...

Yes, and I've also used a 3hp motor on the 29 with 220v 1ph with it jumpered 2hp, previous to rewiring the vfd with 3ph input.

I think it's automatic if you're at the max of a given input on the particular model. Good software is really what sets these vfds apart.

I think you're right. I planned to do what you mentioned earlier and switch the jumper to 1.5hp if it didn't work but it probably went to a default mode of 1.5 even though it was set at 2 hp.

Hey dude... I don't want to be argumentative but ;)... have you tried this??? The KBAC-27D seems to be a robust piece of equipment... but I'm imagining overcurrent protection coming into play with this scenario... or worst case, a puff of smoke and no more VFD. :eek:

Seems I owe an apology to Javand... I feel that I came off sounding condescending in the post above, when it turns out I was talking out my rear end. Color me surprised (and impressed) that you can throw a 2hp motor on the KBAC-27d set up for 110V inputs and not end up with a pile of flashing error lights. Thanks for sharing your experience guys.:thumbup:
Erin

No worries Erin, skepticism is mandatory in this post-internet era of randomly regurgitated mis-information.

The 27D is a great box and does do remarkably well running 2hp motors even on 110V. You don't get the full 2hp on 110v but there's room to grow for when 220V becomes available, the only thing is you have to remember to change the voltage setting in the box. 220v into a box set for 110V DOES MAKE A CLOUD OF SMOKE. I almost fried Tim Hancock's 3rd grinder, but was saved by grinding dust tripping the breaker before the box was smoked.

Jared, how did you resolve the input power line fuse?

I used one of these for a 110v input, 220v you would want two - one for each hot line in.

I notice that nobody seems to mention adding a fuse, but it seems worthwhile to me.

I used all my predrilled holes for switches, but It's pretty easy to drill holes in the case to add that fuse.
There is lots of room inside the case to add it to the front half.
The front cover lifts off the hinges and the wires are all on quick disconnect spades; so there is no need to get the chips in the electronic guts.

ux_a08012200ux0012_ux_c.jpg

Jared, how did you resolve the input power line fuse?

Phil, I went with Travis' suggestion and headed to the local auto parts store, which in my case was an O'reily's. I bought an in line fuse holder rated for up to 30 amps and then bought a pack of 25 amp fuses. Total cost was something like $4. Easy to install and works like a charm.

Back