1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Something I've been working on, size comparison

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by n850gt, May 17, 2018.

1. n850gt

n850gt Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Busse Swords.png

Busse Long Butaniku, Short Butaniku, AK47, Gladius, HNWS, FMV14 and FMV8.

Folks here have been asking how the FMV8 and FMV14 compare to other swords, so here is a rough example.

These are drawn from pictures that have varying degrees of foreshortening and perspective skew. Using blade width numbers, blade length and overall length helps, but there is still error and lots of imprecision. Therefore, the lines aren't perfect orthographic projections. They're as close as I can get.

For my own purposes (and as a distraction from Grad School), I've been compiling Busse knives and swords as an identification guide because let's be honest, there are a plethora of models and I usually have no idea what I'm looking at. When I find a pic of something I haven't seen, I save it to later compile as 2D line work in my CAD software. I have about 50 drawn with probably a hundred or more remaining.

So anyway, here's an informational view of where the FMV14 lines up.

2. Will York

Will York Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 21, 2000
    That’s amazing—thank you!:thumbsup:

3. Leonardo63

Leonardo63 Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2017
    That is really cool! That perspective answers a lot of questions.
    One thing that sticks out to me right off is the point comparison between the FM14 and the Gladius - I'm not sure of the right term, with bullets it's called the "ogive" the geometry of the curving transition from straight edge to the point - the FM14 has a much more pointy profile- I really dig that a lot!

4. zombieassassin

zombieassassin Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2015
    I have a Short Butaniku.....
    Your pic makes me yearn for a Long one.
    Thank you.

Murman and Ryker like this.
  5. tokerblue

tokerblue

May 1, 2010
    That's awesome!

I'm not sure if I'm the only one interested in this kind of comparison, but I would love to see the blades lined up at where the hilt starts.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  6. Will York

Will York Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Nice analogy—FM14’s long ogive would have a higher ballistic coefficient.:thumbsup::D

In that vein, the Hognose has almost a “meplat”.:eek:;)

Still Voracious likes this.
  7. Cheesehead_Slasher

Cheesehead_Slasher

Apr 21, 2016
    Nice work!

8. honorearth

honorearth Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Thanks for the visual. Looks great

9. SpyderPhreak

SpyderPhreak Rocketman for hire Platinum Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Very cool! :cool: :thumbsup: Shows just what a beast the Hognose really is! :eek:

What CAD software are you using?

10. n850gt

n850gt Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Thanks all!

I’m using Rhino 6 for line work, Illustrator to adjust line weights and add color fills.

11. SpyderPhreak

SpyderPhreak Rocketman for hire Platinum Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Cool, that's one I'm not familiar with.

12. Murman

Murman

Nov 11, 2015
    Copy of IMG_20180326_024108.jpg One thing you don't realize about the gladius until you hold it, you can grip at the pummel for added reach. Most people only consider blade length. it's formidable and a good bit longer than the fmv14 when you consider that . Same for AK 47.

13. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    I have an Ak47 and now want the short butaniku!

clampdaddy likes this.
  14. nydude

nydude Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2009
    very cool.

15. xxwarderxx

xxwarderxx Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 27, 2015
    This is some really good stuff. Well done and thank for sharing.

FMV14 looks promising as an addition to a Gladius.

I’m really liking how the handle on the FMV8 seems to be shaping up. It appears to have a handle sized right for a dagger.

This makes me yearn for a short butaniku.

16. clampdaddy

clampdaddy Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 31, 2013
    Same here.

unwisefool likes this.
  17. Ryker

Ryker Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Excellent work, thank you. These kinds of pictures help me a lot, especially if I actually have one of the blades pictured.

I would like this too. After looking at it more closely, I realized that the blade length of the AK-47 is closer to the Short Butaniku than I thought.

18. BlackKnight86

BlackKnight86 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 14, 2003
    Wow! That is a wonderful, useful graphic!

Nice job; and thanks so much for doing it!

19. BlackKnight86

BlackKnight86 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 14, 2003
    I hope you don't mind, N850GT; but I did a quickie in Paint....just selected and scooted the images over to line up the talon holes:

Busse Swords-edit.png

20. Daniel Halcomb

Daniel Halcomb

Sep 26, 2015
    This is fantastic! I've searched for something like this before on multiple occasions, but had given it up as a lost cause.
    Thank you for making this, I'm saving it to show people.
    If you ever make any more comparisons, please post them.

... also, if you ever feel like nicely arranging all 50+ drawings you've made into something that resembles a poster, that could be really cool. Just a thought.:thumbsup: