Something I've been working on, size comparison

That is AWESOME thanks for drawing this up!!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Now all I need is the full size Butaniku to complete the set!

This helps me a lot but also raises questions,

Im looking for a Japanese inspired woods sword, something that can clear brush, chop small limbs, but light enough to carry and durable enough to baton with.

I was thinking the Ak-47 in sr101 would be fine but this has me wondering about the short butaniku..Anyone use both or prefer one over the other carrying it moderate distances?

any input is good input. Thinking of black/maroon micarta and bronze coating.

Im looking for a Japanese inspired woods sword, something that can clear brush, chop small limbs, but light enough to carry and durable enough to baton with.

I was thinking the Ak-47 in sr101 would be fine but this has me wondering about the short butaniku..Anyone use both or prefer one over the other carrying it moderate distances?

I don't use mine for a woods sword; but I think the short butaniku is the perfect Busse sword, balance-wise, weight, and reach.

Having said that, for the purposes you stated, I would say the slightly shorter AK would give you the most utility, with weight just a bit low. It won't stop you; but you'll do a bit more work, I think.

Yeah, while drawing the two Butaniku profiles I decided I’d be happy with any of them. They’re simply awesome.

Another thing I’m trying to do is develop some kind of taxonomic chart tracing the lineage of each model of hog, rat and dog by their features and overall form. It’s very tough as a task because I don’t know what came first in the grand scheme. For instance, it’s striking how the Dog Soldier lines up wih the TG series in profile, like the DS is an offspring:

Top to bottom- DS8, TGLB, TG with swedge, DS6, TGM, TGM with swedge.

DS v TG arranged.png

I’ll start a thread (in about two weeks) listing what I have drawn already, what I have in pics. I would like to rely on all willing Hogs to point out what I’m missing and get me some pics. I want this ID chart to be a thing.

I don't have any Butaniku(s) (Butaniki?), but iirc, they're 0.25" thick, whereas the AK-47's are generally thinner. Something to consider. I think the AK would be just fine, especially in INFI.

I would like this too. After looking at it more closely, I realized that the blade length of the AK-47 is closer to the Short Butaniku than I thought.

In hand the short butaniku feels waaay longer than the ak47 (to me). That extra 5" of blade makes it feel like a legit sword and the extra length on the handle gives some added reach as well. If you like the ak47, the short butaniku will blow your mind.

awesome project! I do like them lined up on the hilt as it gives good perspective of handle length as well! Nice touch!
Need to get you a photo of the Gemini Crusader too! and yes, the DS are basically a res-C TG - THat's what makes the recent DS8 an AWESOME piece I certainly have a place for, just as soon as I hold my hogb8 and finally experience the Res-C - I'm expecting a lot and confident it will deliver.

An AK-47 works well for those tasks. A Short Butaniku might be better, but an SR101 AK has the added virtue of actually being attainable. Good luck finding a Butaniku, long or short, for much under $2k, if you can find one at all.

In hand the short butaniku feels waaay longer than the ak47 (to me). That extra 5" of blade makes it feel like a legit sword and the extra length on the handle gives some added reach as well. If you like the ak47, the short butaniku will blow your mind.
the short butiniku (sp) was the longest that felt right in the hand, balance wise.

short butiniku on the left.
sbrpvr8.jpg

The short Butaniku is 5" longer than the AK, and when you hold one in each hand you can really see and feel the difference. Like SpyderPhreak SpyderPhreak said the Butaniku is .25 and the AK is .1875 and there's a LOT more heft to the Short Butaniku.
26151491561_0213c55140_o.jpg

25615126343_62969855db_o.jpg

Unless you're gonna sling it in a baldric rig, I'd take the AK.

Can anyone measure their BURPs for me? OAL, Blade length, width at the widest point, length of the grip, spike and distance from brass grommet to grommet either from the centers or edges? Can’t find these numbers posted, so either my Google-fu is weak or they really are elusive numbers.

I’ll post the results after I get them corrected/scaled.

Light and fast, with good edge geometry is needed for this application. And if the blade is too long, it will become unwieldy on the trail. I had an AK-47, never used it, but the edge profile seemed rather steep for fast light cutting. My Ruck and Waki have both been reprofiled to a narrower edge angle for improved cutting performance. Think 'long machete' rather than'sword'. YMMV.

You might reach out to lorien for his perspective (most active on the Custom and Carothers forums). He lives in BC and cuts mountain bike trails with various knives.

Of the three I have, although I like the length of the AK the most, I like the blade geometry of the Rucki and Waki better. For slashing. The AK seems to be more of a poker, with slashing a secondary talent. Just based purely on blade geometry, edge geometry. Those are the only ones I have... until the FMV14 is delivered! :eek:

AK47 - Check
HNWS - Check
FMV14 - On Order
FMV8 - On Order

Remaining Wish list:
Long Butaniku (Added)
Gladius
War Boar

Thank you for the comparison! The thirst will never truly be quenched :(

Back