Sooner State Knives

Status
Not open for further replies.
I knowingly overpaid for a Paramilitary 2 ($175 total, I don't have a problem with that) on the bay a while ago. A week later I get the knife, and all is well!

But...

I was cleaning house today and went to toss the box my order came in. Inside the box with my invoice was this:

I'm all for religion. I was raised Mormon before deciding it wasn't for me at the age of 18. I think religion can be wonderful for some people, and terrible for others. My opinion is that religion is a personal choice, and who am I to infringe upon that? Because it is personal, keep it to yourself. I won't be ordering from SSK again if I have a choice.

Note to business owners: Don't use your business as a soapbox, unless your business is soapboxes.

pwerfel

Gold Member
Agreed, but I would be really angry paying that much for the PM2...'-)

Best

P

Keep something in mind, and many people do not realize this which is why I bring it up. Klahoma is considered part of the "Bible Belt". It's not unheard of to travel through various Souther states and feel a profound exposure to religious messages, preaching, etc.
i've done business with Sooner State Knives, and have never had a problem. I don't take offense to other people trying to share their beliefs with me. I respect and love that we live in a country that protects their freedom to do so. I, have the ability to discard any such material into a waste receptacle and not be bothered. Much bigger things to worry about these days than a pamphlet.

sheathmaker

Custom Leather Sheaths
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Keep something in mind, and many people do not realize this which is why I bring it up. Klahoma is considered part of the "Bible Belt". It's not unheard of to travel through various Souther states and feel a profound exposure to religious messages, preaching, etc.
i've done business with Sooner State Knives, and have never had a problem. I don't take offense to other people trying to share their beliefs with me. I respect and love that we live in a country that protects their freedom to do so. I, have the ability to discard any such material into a waste receptacle and not be bothered. Much bigger things to worry about these days than a pamphlet.

.......and you just proved your are indeed a "supporter of common sense", as your title states.:thumbup:

Paul

As I recall, Buck knives used to come with a statement of faith - which cost them their B.S.A. contract.

Bigfattyt

Gold Member
If you were raised Mormon, you should have a bit of tolerance to some one who feels it is part of their religion to spread it.

Many religions, including Mormonism, have that built into the religion. If it is not for you, just ignore it, or throw it in the garbage.

What I don't like are aggressive, in your face confrontational people.

My attitude for it is:
"I've got my thing, you've got yours, and lets part ways without any harsh words."

As long as it is not some eco terrorist group, in your face, like PETA etc..............

I'm a rather assertive atheist, and I don't care if they stick a pamphlet in the box or not. Other dealers also weigh down their mailings and orders with political and religious ramblings. I can't stop them from doing it, and they can't make me read it. Even-Steven.

So long as the box also contained what I ordered. And Sooner State Knives gets a Thumbs-Up from me. :thumbup:

Will Power

Gold Member
Well, I agree with the OP, I dislike anybody assuming they have the right to promote their views via their business. I'm even handed here, I would not like political propaganda, or single issue items being sent out or any other type of religious faith (or atheism) being dished out with products. It's arrogant, because behind it all is the idea that "I'm right, I'm good but you are not"

Yes I've had dealings with this company which were otherwise good, their prices&delivery costs are high however.

Well, I agree with the OP, I dislike anybody assuming they have the right to promote their views via their business. I'm even handed here, I would not like political propaganda, or single issue items being sent out or any other type of religious faith (or atheism) being dished out with products. It's arrogant, because behind it all is the idea that "I'm right, I'm good but you are not"

Yes I've had dealings with this company which were otherwise good, their prices&delivery costs are high however.

You see, it's anything but an an assumption, and it is very much their right. The First Amendment guarantees it as a matter of fact. It's not arrogant, it's their business. ;)

I have ordered many knives from my neighbor over there in OK. I have found that he has a huge selection of Case knives at a good price point and the service is awesome. I do feel you though on the religious material because one of the last knives I bought from them I also got the same pamphlet. Also when I was at one of the last big gun shows here in Dallas I saw them there and the same pamphlets where sitting amongst all his knives. I remember looking over at my buddy and not being able to stop smiling when we both saw them.

I actually prefer to deal with someone who cares about having a Higher Power in their life, whatever name they choose to call that power, and will often choose to deal with them over others based on that alone.

There is another dealer here who offers to send you a free Bible with your order if you would like one. I find that both honorable and admirable.

I might also mention that I am not at all "religious" nor do I really subscribe to any particular faith, but I do believe in a power greater than myself whom I call God.

I don't think I've ever bought from SSK, but I surely will in the future. :)

I don't take offense to other people trying to share their beliefs with me. I respect and love that we live in a country that protects their freedom to do so. I, have the ability to discard any such material into a waste receptacle and not be bothered. Much bigger things to worry about these days than a pamphlet.

:thumbup:

You see, it's anything but an an assumption, and it is very much their right. The First Amendment guarantees it as a matter of fact. It's not arrogant, it's their business. ;)
:thumbup: :thumbup:

Last edited:

JPD1998

Gold Member
I'm a repeat SSK customer and have gotten those pamphlets with my orders.

I even read one of them and can report that nothing happened to me....

JDieseljoe69

Full Throttle Tools
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Sooner State Knives is a fine dealer in my book! I have ordered from them quite a few times. I don't recall the pamphlet though?

brownshoe

I support this site with my MIND
I got the same pamphlet, you've got to expect that kind of stuff in the Bible Belt.

They didn't used to do it though. Wonder what changed, born again, brush with death or a new wife? :)

They are a good dealer. I've never had a problem and gotten some real good prices, particularly on some of the pricier Case knives. They may be from OK, but they know what the market will bear and price accordingly. They also hit the show circuit and make deals on the floor. Not the friendliest people though, but I'm buying knives, not looking for a friend.

If it doesn't do any harm, who cares? It's America, freedom of speech and religion is our right, as long as it doesn't infringe upon another's.

I've ordered from Kenny before, and I've ordered from another BF dealer that shares his beliefs on his website. I am a lapsed Catholic jolted by a near death auto accident to explore my relationship with God, sticking with Catholicism. These guys have knives I want, I have no issues with them. I buy from atheists and agnostics too. All are good people and I respect everyones belief.

Will Power

Gold Member

Freedom to disagree yes. But it is an assumption. Just because somebody is located in the 'Bible Belt' does not mean we should expect such a thing. Maybe sending packages with propagandist tracts is OK within the USA but sending them to me overseas jars. I've had business dealings, postal deliveries from all over the world, but I haven't received Jewish literature from Israel, Islamic materials from Muslim countries, Zen tracts from Japan, nor opus dei stuff from Italy! If you send somebody a tract it's because you assume you know what's best for them, people in other countries are not always that keen on this stance.

If I ran a business I would not assume that other people need copies of The God Delusion, they can find it if they need it.

But, as I wrote, in terms of service it's an OK knife supplier albeit not very competitive.

NPE

i received religious literature with some case knives I bought from kenny - i'm sure he means well - but i will never buy from him again - religious extremists just bother me (Christian and/or otherwise) – if I wanted a sermon, i’d go to church (a church of my choosing) – he can evangelize to somebody else

Status
Not open for further replies.