Spring into Spring with a "Barlow a Day for Thirty Days"

For Day 2 ............. my old KA-BAR-LO. I actually find myself toting it pretty often. It has the pen behind the main and is very thin for a two bladed Barlow. I also find that I enjoy the very smooth opening blades, which don't have half stops, to be a pleasure and easy on my thumb-nail. I use it to cut most things, but, not so much for heavy cutting chores. As good or better than new walk and talk. I like the look of it as well. 😊

View attachment 2504180

View attachment 2504179
Those Ka-Bar-Lo are awesome 👍😎
Day 2:
Good morning! Same knife, different day 😅 I don't show the pile side of this knife off very often as it doesn't have the case xx bolster stamp. But, this side might have a bit of soup to it? I like this old pocket worn saw cut red bone either way!

Love the old Case Barlows!
Learned new today. 😇👍
Ulster #10 is Clip Point primary.
The #11 was Spear Point.
The #12 was the rare (in USA) Sheepsfoot primary.
All had a pen secondary.
I thought all the divisions used the same numbering.

A real beauty you have.
Thank you!

Day 2:

Knew I wouldn’t need much knife today, so the little 14 didn’t get a friend for the day. Only cut a bagel and an apple…. Real “hard use” 🙂

View attachment 2504881
I've encountered some surprisingly tough bagels in my brief time on this world... 🥯🤣

Barlow content: The #14 is honestly a bit small for me, even with the thiccc Purple Sage Natural Bone covers. I felt like I needed a bit more blade and a little more weight. Conveniently, this one is still enjoying that golden period after receiving a new knife where it lingers seductively on the coffee table and whispers to me to pick it up as I ambulate about the living room.

"Pick me up, birdsbeaks... take pictures of me..."

Lx2bIVc.jpeg

🤣

Please forgive my asking ...
1) Do you know about when it was made? I'm guessing it isn't a Queen made, and dates to pre-1930's.

2) How can you not tote such a beautiful classic all your waking moments since you got it? 🤯😳
Truth be spoken, I'd have difficulty not 'totin it.
(full disclosure: Same for any pre-Queen Russell Barlow that isn't used up ... or an early USA made Robeson Barlow, for that matter. 🥰)
Of course you can ask Steve, should as this is Forum :)

1. You're way off I'm afraid, these were Green Rivers made by Böker, Solingen at the start of this century I believe, I bought it online around 2006? There were Clip versions but prefer Spear on Barlows generally, possibly singles too. A great Stag one got left behind by me...follies of non youth :D But this bone aint poor.

2. I don't have a strong belt like you for all those carries....I just have whims or caprices :cool:

Enjoy the day

Thanks, Will

DAY THREE

A no nonsense son of the earth true proletarian Barlow...none of your MOP ;) Queen Cutlery Jigged Delrin Workhorse series, carbon and very good finish despite being a late Queen, exposed pivot-pin so you can give it a whack if any play develops, not that there is any....and blade centre.

39se3oA.jpg

A 30 day Barlow challenge? I’m your Huckleberry! Day 1, it is.

I have three Barlows - all from my Grandpa Abby. This CAMCO USA (Camillus’ budget line, I believe) is the most well used of the three. The other two Imperial’s appear to have been his sock drawer backups in the event this one ever broke or went missing.

This Camco lives on top of my dresser with an Old Timer from my other grandpa. Those two men truly were “The Greatest Generation.” I rarely carry it, so the joints need oiled and the edges need touched up. Honestly, I don’t think I’ve touched it to a stone since he died and I inherited it 16-ish years ago. So this morning waiting on my computer to boot, I made a few passes on this Buck Hard Arkansas stone that I found among my Grandpa Bob’s things when he passed. Incidentally, it was found among his shooting/hunting gear with gun smithing screwdrivers. I’ll bet you a donut he used it to polish sears.

And Mr. Primble Primble , my wallet has you to thank for an overnight lightening. I’ve been watching my grail Barlow on auction (sentimental knives excluded, of course) for several weeks now and thus far had resisted. Well, if this is going to be Barlow month, and since my Birthday is this weekend… it doesn’t take a genius to put two and two together. :) Soon I will own four Barlows.

5736C40E-AFD3-40FC-B7C5-CEE0D045A7C0.jpeg

1FCEF7ED-4715-41CB-8E93-927E236EB308.jpeg

Day 1: lionsteel roundhead Barlow ck01 with home made scales. Paper cut test to ensure sharpishness... (Highly technical term).

I've only got two barlows and I tend to get distracted with life and I've never tried one of these daily things so why not. I tend to try to live more day by day so we'll see how this goes and if I can remember. :) I remembered today and today is all I have.

Attachments

• PXL_20240222_143335344~2.jpg
    PXL_20240222_143335344~2.jpg
    799.1 KB · Views: 4
Day 1: lionsteel roundhead Barlow ck01 with home made scales. Paper cut test to ensure sharpishness... (Highly technical term).

I've only got two barlows and I tend to get distracted with life and I've never tried one of these daily things so why not. I tend to try to live more day by day so we'll see how this goes and if I can remember. :) I remembered today and today is all I have.
Nicely done on the home made covers. They look fantastic, and add to the "Classic" look of the knife.👍

Back