Off Topic Springtime is lovely for a stroll in the snark

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is just a horizontal, offset smoker with a propane burner near the bottom of the firebox.
kBODc9H.jpg

They sell burners for ordinary propane grills, that is what I shopped for. I found one that was oriented in a long, narrow rectangle.
WwernkQ.jpg

All I had to do was feed it the right amount of gas, which I attempted at my own risk. The bottle and regulator are typical gas grill items, then I plumbed a ball valve inline before the burner, to act as a burner control.
H2qW21L.jpg

The trick is to feed the burner a proper gas/air mixture. Propane requires a very, very small jet opening in front of the vented inlet of the threaded burner port. The vents allow air in to mix with the fuel jet. That fuel jet was created with my smallest drill bit and some odd piece of threaded brass plumbing fixture, which was the hardest part to locate, for me. Honestly I don't recall how I found the brass plumbing component to drill my fuel jet hole into. I might have soldered it shut first, or brazed it shut, I can't remember. I didn't find it on any shelf though. If I knew what to look for, it probably already exists. Not sure if that helps.

Trial and error results:-
I tried pumping propane straight into the burner at first. All I got was a huge flame thrower, don't do that.

Fair Warning:-
Propane inside a closed firebox is a recipe for disastrous explosions if the conditions are right. Worst case scenario might be if the flame is extinguished, but the fuel keeps pumping. Any ignition source will certainly cause an explosion. The bottom of my firebox is always wide open to dump any unburnt fuel and defeat the enclosed vessel scenario just for that reason. There are no piezo-electric ignitors involved, I use manual bbq lighters only to ignite the burner.

The ball valve does give good positive control over the flame height though, and thereby control the cook chamber temperatures. I also balance the spread of heat across the full width of the cook chamber with tuning plates under the grill, water pans on top of the tuning plates, and two adjustably damped smoke stacks, one near each end of the cook chamber.
Thanks man. Great overview.

Happy Thanksgiving, y'all!

Edit - well now I see there is a dedicated Thanksgiving thread. Oh well. One post closer to not having this one still open when Spring rolls back around.

so - Boulevard smokestack series bourbon barrel aged imperial beers: 13.3 - 14.4% ABV
that's the equivalent of roughly 4 or so ounces of whiskey per 12 ounce glass.
the imperial brown with pecans is tasty in a pie sort of way. Definitely desserty
the imperial porter is like mixing 1 part bourbon, 1 part branch, and 1 part molasses with an oak edge. (would make an amazing float)
the imperial stout isn't bad - would go well with a dark leaf ceegar.
the imperial stout/barleywine mix is pretty decent.

We had an really good day today:

Started in the morning with a tree planting action from my local community, planted about 800 trees. Together we were around 20 planters:)

threema-20211127-125022479.jpg

Weather was decent and they grilled sausages and had mulled wine afterwards.
IMG_20211127_120637_compress97.jpg

Then we hit the gym and when we got back, we treated ourselves with a french onion cheese tart. ( Elsässer Flammkuchen )
IMG_20211127_170130_compress22.jpg

IMG_20211127_174316_compress7.jpg

Now we'll watch a movie and I'm treating myself to a small sip of Finlaggan Cask Strength:)

Yeah, the sense of accomplishment was quite nice:) So the trees were 3 year old beeches an 1 year old sweet chestnuts. Those trees have the best chances to survive the coming years, as they have a higher tolerance to the increased temperatures. This is what the official forest warden / ranger (don't know the correct name in English) told us...

The spruces that were there before were wiped out by bark beetles, having a feast due to the last three dry summers...

That's a lot of traps. You got an infestation? We had a problem in the garage. Caught about a dozen before I found the hole they were using to get in. Sealed the hole and the mouse problems went away.

Woke up to snow on the ground. Just a couple of inches so I'm not sure if it's gonna stick around. Winter is coming.

It was in the low 50's yesterday, so I used my mower to mulch the leaves. Seemed strange mowing the yard at the end of November. Supposed to hit 64° Thursday. Crazy ass weather.

Saw where "several gallons" of a $400K load of Jack Daniels was lost when an 18 wheeler tipped over on an I24 ramp near Murfreesboro, TN. No report on how much survived. Cleanup crew, anyone?

Picked up a hitchhiker on I-395 at 65mph this morninAlso, my GF does NOT F-around when it comes to mice (that's 60!) 😅:

IMG_20211126_162129-small.jpg

have you seen the latest in tilty - bucket traps - i got one off amazon from the REAL original vendor (made in murrca by murrcan, not some knockoff trash). amazing simple design. catches BUCKETS of rodents. whoa.

i made my own spinny can version with antifreeze, and i'd say it caught 50-60 mice/rats a month, until the herd was thinned out in my shed. nasty things.

Came down with Covid last week so I've been stuck at home, but it's given me a bunch of time to bush hog and catch up on things here at the farm. After seeing the BeckerWest pics, its gotten me thinking about potentially hosting a future Becker meetup here. We have plenty of space and wooded areas, and some nice views. Anyone near this part of the country (Northern Shenandoah valley, NW Virginia) who would be interested?

51687989425_58c240a880_z.jpg

VA is a damn bit closer than TN ever was.

the North is a lonely place, but the gathering we manage up here cheers my heart (when i don't forget about the last one).

i need to totally rethink my camping situation though. been a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back