Spyderco 701 profile stones?

Hi. It's my first post in this forum, so bear with me if this is a silly question...

I'm looking for a set of spyderco 701 profile stones, yet it seems to be a product that is either out of stock or discontinued?

Is there a source for these, or an updated version / model out there?

(If the source can not be mentioned on this website, and suggestions to find one would be helpful.)

Thanks

They are discontinued, so finding new ones may not be easy. I don't know any dealers offhand who would have them.

Your best bet would be to keep an eye on the auction sites. You can also buy a Gold Membership here on BF and be able to buy, sell and trade on the EXCHANGE section of the forum. Because over the years I've had excellent luck locating stuff right here on BF.

Now there are probably dealers out there that might just have a set of 701 Profiles on their shelf that haven't sold. But I would limit my search to reputable, established dealers that most of us here have done business with over the years.

I'm currently lobbying for Spyderco to bring them back and also add more grit selections. There are a lot of people I've talked to that want a set of 701 Profiles so hopefully we will see them return at some point.

So, do you think there is enough demand to do a run of maybe 2,000 pcs of each grit. I thought about this and maybe adding a CBN version as well?

sal

I believe a two piece medium fine and three piece course combo set would sell well.

Could market it to folks trying their hand at free handing for the first time and those on the go looking to do a fast touch up.

I've still got mine, but I'd buy another set for certain if it included a CBN version. I meant to buy another set before they were disco'd but never got around to it.

I would buy a second set for backup,, I mean if I break one, I will actually cry like a little girl, I would consider the CBN if its a fine/medium grit.

1234,,,:D

So, do you think there is enough demand to do a run of maybe 2,000 pcs of each grit. I thought about this and maybe adding a CBN version as well?

sal

I'd buy a set of each grit for sure, maybe even a spare of each as well just to hoard for the end times ;)

~Chip

I'd definitely buy a set of the profile rods. I have heard nothing but good about them and would love to have a set.

I've had the medium profile for a long time, but I've never been able to locate the fine. Yes, I would buy a set. I'd also be interested in a CBN version.

sal

I think it's possible, there seems to be a rather large demand for them now they have been discontinued.

sal
Absolutely. Seems like i see people reference the desire for 701 stones almost every other day!

Heck I bought my only set years ago, and it was the very last one I could find on the entire Internet.

Bringing them back is long overdue, if you can do it profitably. I also really like the idea of CBN rods!

I'd buy a couple more sets just to know I'd never be without again!

Please bring back the Pro Files!

ETA- I've actually always been curious why these were discontinued despite their popularity, if you don't mind the inquiry?

I've seen people praising them for as long as I've been sharpening. They were already discontinued by the time I heard of them, making the acquisition of my set like the Holy Grail!

Thanks!

Last edited:
I would buy two in CBN.

Have two sets of original 701 profile stones, great design.

Regards,
FK

sal

I would love a set of CBN 701 stones! I would get another set of the ceramic also in case I ever loose or break the set I have now. Put me for one of each.

Bruceter

sal

YES!! Yes!! and YES!! Oh I have no doubt that you would sell those very quickly Mr. Glesser. There isn't hardly a week that goes by that I don't talk to at least 3 to 5 people that want to know where they can get a set of those. And to offer them in other grit selections?? YES! I will buy at least 3 sets of what I currently don't have and I'm sure that a lot of the Brothers will want to add to their 701 Profile kits. Case Closed.

Back