Spyderco Advocate

I don't post a lot these days and I try to avoid attaboy posts, but I just have to point out - here's a man who's:

- calm when some pretty serious things are being said about his product
- not taking any of this personally
- calling a spade a spade, not ducking or making excuses
- resolved to do whatever it takes to fix the problem

This is just so rare, in every part of life... :thumbup:

Attaboy :thumbup:

Great post .

Ken

Been a few weeks, any update Sal? Still an issue.

No update yet. We're in our heaviest travel season so it's tough to get all the people involved in the same room to work through the issue in a faster manner. I promise we haven't forgotten and we are still working on it. As soon as we can, we'll post an update.

Thanks for hanging in there with us!

Kristi

No update yet. We're in our heaviest travel season so it's tough to get all the people involved in the same room to work through the issue in a faster manner. I promise we haven't forgotten and we are still working on it. As soon as we can, we'll post an update.

Kristi
Thanks for the quick response

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

You folks at Spyderco HQ rock! Once you come up with a fix, will all who have already purchased one be able to send it in for the upgrade? Haven't had a single problem with mine (yet), but if the fix will improve longevity/function, I would probably like to have it done. And if so, would there be a charge for this service other than shipping? In any case, thanks for watching out for your customers. It is becoming an increasingly rare occurence with many other companies.

Kristi

You folks at Spyderco HQ rock! Once you come up with a fix, will all who have already purchased one be able to send it in for the upgrade? Haven't had a single problem with mine (yet), but if the fix will improve longevity/function, I would probably like to have it done. And if so, would there be a charge for this service other than shipping? In any case, thanks for watching out for your customers. It is becoming an increasingly rare occurence with many other companies.

Hi, stevekolt:
Answers to all of your questions are part of what we're working through. We'd like to be able to give a detailed solution and will as soon as possible. Thanks for checking and thank you for your kind words!

Kristi

Spoke to Spyderco today regarding my Advocate. They are issuing a credit because they cannot provide one that does not grind in the pivot or ball detente. That is the best that I can expect (paraphrasing).

They have to redesign the pivot with no end date or even that it will be done. Personally, I will never buy a bearing pivot knife from Spyderco unless they totally redesign their pivots.

I am not at all happy about this situation, either. I really like the knife design and I believe that the pivot can be fixed. However, the one thing that really pisses me off is that they are still selling this knife with full knowledge that is has a poorly designed and constructed pivot.

Last edited:
Spoke to Spyderco today regarding my Advocate. They are issuing a credit because they cannot provide one that does not grind in the pivot or ball detente. That is the best that I can expect (paraphrasing).

They have to redesign the pivot with no end date or even that it will be done. Personally, I will never buy a bearing pivot knife from Spyderco unless they totally redesign their pivots.

I am not at all happy about this situation, either. I really like the knife design and I believe that the pivot can be fixed. However, the one thing that really pisses me off is that they are still selling this knife with full knowledge that is has a poorly designed and constricted pivot.

Hi, Daniel:
I won't rehash what I posted in reply to your post on facebook, but I would like to clarify what you've said.

I spoke with Eric and our W&R team at length this afternoon regarding both your specific knife and the Advocate in general. We have issued you a full MSRP credit for your knife. Unfortunately, we cannot meet your expectations. Your knife was found to be within specs. We cannot say that it grinds, as you say. We did not tell you that we have to redesign the pivot. We did place the Advocate on hold, briefly, to allow us to evaluate our remaining inventory. Every Advocate currently on our shelves meets specs and performs as designed. Eric himself was involved in this process. We have thousands of flippers in the market that are without issue and provide the high-performance that they were designed to. There isn't an inherent issue with our flippers but we will apply CQI to all of them just like we do with everything we make.

Any changes that we make to the Advocate will be part of our CQI and will be rolling changes. If anyone with an Advocate, or any of our knives, feels there is an issue or is unsatisfied with the performance please send it into our W&R team. We evaluate every knife on a case by case basis and will be as fair and transparent as we can be. I know you are disappointed and for that, we sincerely apologize.

Kristi

I found a youtube video where the guy took his advocate apart and replace the thin and flimst washers with these that are a little thicker. He kept the bearings in place after re-assembling the knife he says it works perfectly. This is the link to the washers he used.
http://usaknifemaker.com/folding-kn.../washer-pb-3-16-187-inside-hole-diameter.html

This is the video the guy made after the washer replacement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F56KfyCKdl4&list=WL&index=16&t=1s

I personally don't have an Advocate, but I am about to purchase one secondhand from a guy that's downsizing his collection. I'm planning on replacing the washers as soon as I feel any kind of problem in the action.

I found a youtube video where the guy took his advocate apart and replace the thin and flimst washers with these that are a little thicker. He kept the bearings in place after re-assembling the knife he says it works perfectly. This is the link to the washers he used.
non dealer link removed
This is the video the guy made after the washer replacement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F56KfyCKdl4&list=WL&index=16&t=1s

I personally don't have an Advocate, but I am about to purchase one secondhand from a guy that's downsizing his collection. I'm planning on replacing the washers as soon as I feel any kind of problem in the action.

Ooof. I was going to grab a few of those washers, but they want to charge 45 bucks for shipping here!

Is there any further update on the issues with this knife? I have had one in hand several times and really dig the knife. I am waiting to see if some kind of solution is reached.

Will Spyderco continue to make the knife?

Is Spyderco currently sending out more knives of this model to retailers?

Will there be a retrofitted solution to go into existing Advocates or will it be redesigned (i.e. buy now or later)?

Any update would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Is there any further update on the issues with this knife? I have had one in hand several times and really dig the knife. I am waiting to see if some kind of solution is reached.

Will Spyderco continue to make the knife?

Is Spyderco currently sending out more knives of this model to retailers?

Will there be a retrofitted solution to go into existing Advocates or will it be redesigned (i.e. buy now or later)?

Any update would be appreciated.

Thank you.

I got mine secondhand from a dude on Spyderco forum and I have no issues with it. I've been carrying it for about a month now. There is a video on YouTube that uses slightly bigger PB washers to replace the thin crappy one and that fix works perfectly. I'm going to do it if mine develops any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back