Spyderco Civilian & Matriarch Review

Hey Sal, makes good sense but I feel that such are the quality of steels today that this isn't so great a concern. With the likes of CPM-M4 and S90V we are truly blessed with steels that seem to hold an edge forever.

Hi Buffalohump,

The argument against that notion is that a knife used for self defense should be as sharp as possible to be the most effective. A knife that is used for general utility is slightly dulled with each use and may be far less effective if needed for self defense. Hence Brownshoe's comment.

sal

Hey Sal, makes good sense but I feel that such are the quality of steels today that this isn't so great a concern. With the likes of CPM-M4 and S90V we are truly blessed with steels that seem to hold an edge forever.

That is true.

sal

Thanks for the kind words about the review. Perhaps there is some variation in when the knives are shipped, but both the Matriarch and Civilian came to me with the "NOTICE" tags attached, as shown.

attachment.php

yep they are not good for everyday tasks but what they are good for, they cant be beaten. when ya gotta slash the sh*t out of someone or something, accept no substitute!

Nice review Lava Lamp. Thanx much.

Hi Buffalohump,

The argument against that notion is that a knife used for self defense should be as sharp as possible to be the most effective. A knife that is used for general utility is slightly dulled with each use and may be far less effective if needed for self defense. Hence Brownshoe's comment.

sal

I think that any relatively sharp and pointed piece of steel will be effective in self defense whereas the ability to deploy it successfully when under stress is much more important. This can be done with religious practice or with repeated daily use. I carry a byrd rescue that a generous person ;) sent me. I carry it, deploy it, and cut with it daily. I am intimately familiar with the knife and it's abilities and can draw, open, cut with, close and replace the knife with little to no concious thought. It is muscle memory. if the SHTF on my boat or on the street I am more confident in getting this knife out and into play than a knife I carry specifically for SD and only occasionally.

That said, I also subscribe to the theory of the man that sent me that knife: all good, just different. :D

Thanks for the kind words about the review. Perhaps there is some variation in when the knives are shipped, but both the Matriarch and Civilian came to me with the "NOTICE" tags attached, as shown.

attachment.php

I own one of each of the new Matriarchs and neither of them came with those tags.:confused:

I have carried my Matriarch so much the clip has a most of the paint worn off. However, the knife has only cut once :)

No matter how good the steel, if you are going to use a knife for defense, it needs to be as sharp as possible, particularly the tip. If you use a Matriarch for utility, the tip will be the first thing to dull or break.

Also, IMHO, if you are going to use it for defense, the aggressive serrated version is the best. It should rip through a lot, and the knife is obviously not a a stabber. I like the Lone Wolf Defender for that. Plus, just looking at the serrated Matriarch (after it appears from "nowhere") makes people pause. Women like the name and the fact it's designed for them :)

I have carried my Matriarch so much the clip has a most of the paint worn off. However, the knife has only cut once :)

No matter how good the steel, if you are going to use a knife for defense, it needs to be as sharp as possible, particularly the tip. If you use a Matriarch for utility, the tip will be the first thing to dull or break.

Also, IMHO, if you are going to use it for defense, the aggressive serrated version is the best. It should rip through a lot, and the knife is obviously not a a stabber. I like the Lone Wolf Defender for that. Plus, just looking at the serrated Matriarch (after it appears from "nowhere") makes people pause. Women like the name and the fact it's designed for them :)

the tip wont necessarilly break first as most of the cuts would be pull cuts with the belly thru stuff like rope and vines. either way, the tip isnt that weak. I dont understand why people think it will break. if it gets dull, sharpen it!

If I ever had to use a Civilian or Matriarch in a self-defense situation, I honestly wouldn't expect the tip to survive. I'm not saying it'd always break, but I wouldn't use the knife in a manner as though I was worried about the tip breaking (ie: only targeting soft tissue, but not risking hitting bone). Being designed specifically/exclusively for self-defense, I've always thought of these knives as "one and done". A knife you hope you never have to use, and if you do, never expect to use it again.

Per "I dont understand why people think it will break." I've seen used Civilians for sale with broken tips, so it does happen. My Matriarch is first run, the second run supposedly has a stronger tip.

Per "I dont understand why people think it will break." I've seen used Civilians for sale with broken tips, so it does happen. My Matriarch is first run, the second run supposedly has a stronger tip.

link please. I have never seen one and dont understand how one would break when cutting thru a jacket/flesh. unless your using it to pry with, and even then it would just bend.

"Link please" ???

Sorry if you don't believe me w/o proof...is your name Thomas :)

I have been haunting knife shows and internet sales too long to remember and also been looking for a used Civilian before I got my Matriarch. I've seen two in hand and one in the bush (i.e. internet) with marred tips out of about a total of 10. IIRC the Spyderco warning statements about "not for utility use" came about due to customers breaking tips, that's why this run of Matriarchs has a different tip.

"Link please" ???

Sorry if you don't believe me w/o proof...is your name Thomas :)

I have been haunting knife shows and internet sales too long to remember and also been looking for a used Civilian before I got my Matriarch. I've seen two in hand and one in the bush (i.e. internet) with marred tips out of about a total of 10. IIRC the Spyderco warning statements about "not for utility use" came about due to customers breaking tips, that's why this run of Matriarchs has a different tip.

I can say I have a golden cane for sale with a 40karet diamond on top and want to sell it for 1 billion dollars. does it make it so? no it doesnt and you saying you have seen broken tips is total bullsh*t to me unless I see proof otherwise! yes your word doesn't mean crap to anyone without proof! Hell tell ya what, I have see 4 Matriarchs first hand with broken tips for sale for 30 bucks at a local flea market. I also saw big foot there trying to get it on with a wookie. :jerkit:

We've had communications with customers that had reported broken tips in hard utlity use (cutting large ropes, etc.). So Brownshoe is speaking the truth. That's why we put the information on the knife.

We are considering a redesign, and may in the future, but we don't want to decrease the effect of the thin tips.

sal

I just ordered a Civilian. :) Figured I should probably get it out of the way since I always find myself looking at them online.

As far as the tip goes... it seems that Spyderco tells you up front they are not utility knives. Can't complain when you do some damage to the knife when using them in utilitarian roles.

I for one will not be using the knife for utility use. :) More of a folding and collection piece than anything, but it will still be carried in pocket. I enjoy large folders, but I normally carry something smaller with me as well.

I can say I have a golden cane for sale with a 40karet diamond on top and want to sell it for 1 billion dollars. does it make it so? no it doesnt and you saying you have seen broken tips is total bullsh*t to me unless I see proof otherwise! yes your word doesn't mean crap to anyone without proof! Hell tell ya what, I have see 4 Matriarchs first hand with broken tips for sale for 30 bucks at a local flea market. I also saw big foot there trying to get it on with a wookie. :jerkit:

not sure what's so hard to understand about broken tips. I have seen tips broken off of knives with much thicker/stronger tips than civilians. Sometimes people use them stupidly (screwdriving or prying), sometimes they cut through a material and don't realize there is something much harder underneath it. Stuff like that. And no, the tip on a civilian will have hardly any "bend". A very slight amount of flex, maybe, but it will certainly snap before any real bend takes place.

This is an older thread so may not get any responses. Nonetheless, I have a question about the Matriarch. I am lucky enough to own one. I love it but wonder about the lack of jimping. I've flirted with the idea of getting a machinist to run some jimping an inch and a half or so back on the blade on top of the handle and maybe a half inch on top of the blade as it comes out of the handles -- the jimping to run that length without interruption. With the screw construction, the blade could of course be easily exposed to do the work. Anyone care to share your thoughts -- I'd sure appreciate the advice/comments. Thanks!
Regards,
sweetwater
P.S. I'm of course aware that some forum members have the equipment for such an endeavor, but I take a medication that makes my hands tremble a bit -- love that gettin' older thing! :) At any rate, it is not a do-it-yourself project that I would be comfortable in undertaking.

Re: Jimping

It's possible of course, but thumb-ramp jimping on a knife purpose built for draw cutting or slashing won't really afford more control. I would go so far as to say it's likely a bad idea. If you were to use this knife in an SD situation (God forbid of course), jimping is more likely to abrade your fingers and weaken your grip as the knife shifts in your hand.

Same reasoning that Michael Janich gave for removing jimping on the Yojimbo 2.

I'm glad this thread was brought back to life. I was just admiring my Matriarch yesterday and thinking about purchasing a Civilian. What's stopped me so far (aside from the price) is the increased weight.

If Spyderco does another sprint run of the Matriarch (a good idea) I'd like to see a better handle colour and a larger spyder hole.

Back