Spyderco Civilian & Matriarch Review

Always wondered: if I used this knife in self defence, and the tip broke, would spyderco fix it for me? :)

Many thanks, like em sharp. Good food for thought. I've been pondering this for a while, and your input is much appreciated. Thoughts of the possibility of injuring my fingers and loosening my grip are more than enough to convince me to put this potential mod on indefinite (most likely permanent) hold.
Regards,
sweetwater

Many thanks, like em sharp. Good food for thought. I've been pondering this for a while, and your input is much appreciated. Thoughts of the possibility of injuring my fingers and loosening my grip are more than enough to convince me to put this potential mod on indefinite (most likely permanent) hold.
Regards,
sweetwater

If you're on the fence about it, you could always try a little test - put a little skateboard tape on the knife in the places you would want it jimped (or get someone to help you), and try cutting an old, rolled up towel or t-shirt. It's obviously nothing like cutting a person, but it'll give you some input on how the knife will move in your hand.

Always wondered: if I used this knife in self defence, and the tip broke, would spyderco fix it for me? :)

who cares as long as you can get away with your life. seriously, if your that afraid of getting attacked, get and carry a gun! especially if your afraid of scratching or breaking your knife when your suppose to be scared of having your life taken from you.

like em sharp, I've got some 3M carpet tape around here somewhere and I have an old friend come visiting this weekend. Hmmm....:) Many thanks!
Regards,
sweetwater

who cares as long as you can get away with your life. seriously, if your that afraid of getting attacked, get and carry a gun! especially if your afraid of scratching or breaking your knife when your suppose to be scared of having your life taken from you.

Good question , A.L. !

eccvets, read the note.

attachment.php

1234,,,,,:D

I just ordered the new Matriarch 2. I'm excited that it exists though I'm not sure if it's a sprint or regular run.

I'm a little disappointed that the new version has gained so much weight; I can understand moving away from the full flat grind to thicken the tip but I don't see the need for the liners.

I acquired a 1990s production Civilian (with the rubber inserts) that came with a padded keepcase. One characteristic of this classic version is that when released from the open and locked position the blade tends to fall and, being very keen, will bite the unwary newbie if a finger is in its way. I took this photo with my iPhone cam so please excuse the somewhat shabby quality.

6957325139_df4a52b131.jpg

The latest Matriarch doesn't deviate too much from the previous brown handled iteration. The blade is now a saber grind (as opposed to full flat) and the handle is that of the latest generation Endura. Sadly these changes have raised the weight of the knife which previously was wonderfully light.

Steel is VG10 and fit and finish on mine is excellent with perfect blade centering.

I love the Matriarch but wish it had stayed a little bit leaner. Regardless if this style of blade is what you're looking for it's highly recommeded.

Question:
Don't most states prohibit the carrying of "dangerous weapons"? The very definition of which being something designed to be used as a weapon. Does this not cause some complications when carrying a knife that explicitly states that it's not meant to be used for utility?

Just curious;).

I'm also mostly asking because it's usually the states that don't allow concealed carry that has these laws, thus making the carry of knives for SD out of the question as well unless you can argue that it's for utility use. I know the world's going to hell in a handbasket when the law tells me I'm not allowed to defend myself and will go to jail if I happen to be unfortunate enough to survive the encounter:thumbup:.

Just had a customer offer me an old (gen 2, non- screw pivot) matriarch. My Silat teacher back in the early 90's had a civilian, which he used with a lot of oldschool kerambit technique (minus the spins, of course). Got the matriarch kinda in remembrance of him. It's a nasty reverse grip knife... And the tip on this one is THIN.

Question:
Don't most states prohibit the carrying of "dangerous weapons"? The very definition of which being something designed to be used as a weapon. Does this not cause some complications when carrying a knife that explicitly states that it's not meant to be used for utility?

Just curious;).

I'm also mostly asking because it's usually the states that don't allow concealed carry that has these laws, thus making the carry of knives for SD out of the question as well unless you can argue that it's for utility use. I know the world's going to hell in a handbasket when the law tells me I'm not allowed to defend myself and will go to jail if I happen to be unfortunate enough to survive the encounter:thumbup:.

Most states these days permit the carry of a handgun. A handgun has little utilitarian use. Most states also allow the carry of a pocket knife. In those states where folks are allowed to carry handguns, it would seem that they have recognized the need for people to defend themselves on occasion. It would be odd to think they would acknowledge the possibility of defending oneself with a handgun, but reject the idea of defending oneself with a knife.

Sorry, but the logic of that argument escapes me. I see it often argued that a knife designed specifically for defensive use would get someone into legal trouble if they used it for a legal purpose. If the knife is otherwise legal in the jurisdiction, and its use is also legally justified, no crime, no foul.

Andy

Sal,
YRS.ago I showed you my Civilian at ORLANDO you asked "who"I was with ...at that time only LEO'S & military were supposed to have these .If I remember correctly you told me only two people had these in FL.a SEAL & me.Still have it & carry it here in Miami!
Jim

Back