Spyderco Delica w/profile MODIFICATION...

Distressed green canvas Micarta w/black G10 liners and green canvas Micarta back spacer...

jqQytDB.jpg

u7JHbt1.jpg

2hQDoop.jpg

DEinFcQ.jpg

An inquiry was made asking if a Lil'Matriarch was compatible with the profile modified GrindMod Delica/Lil'Para scales... so I did some investigation.

I had actually assembled a set of lined Micarta scales onto my Lil'Matriarch months ago and determined that there are issues with the signature Reverse 'S' blade as it has a much fuller belly and that changes the depth and angle of the KICK vs the rest of the Delica blade line... FFG, saber, the new Wharncliffe etc. I filed the information away and pretty much forgot about it. The Lil'Matriarch isn't as popular a knife and requests regarding that model were few.

uOdn4Kb.jpg

7H6cJxA.jpg

I had difficulty recalling just what the issues were so I scanned my Lil'Matriarch blade and brought it into CAD. Once you overlay the Lil'Matriarch blade profile onto the FFG blade profile the issues becomes apparent.

SlbceWI.jpg

The Lil'Matriarch blade profile is represented in RED... the FFG blade is in black. With the blade in the open position notice how the intersecting angle at the choil has lowered and become more acute. With the remainder of the Delica blade line that straight line choil region is a forced compromise with regards to ergonomics. It becomes worse with the Lil'Matriarch blade profile.

The next issue is with the blade in the closed position. The square corner of the lock notch preceding the thumb ramp is proud of the scale profile. I managed to bury that notch corner with the rest of the Delica blade line. IF someone does desire modified scales for their Lil'Matriarch... I can most likely massage the nose region and tailor a choil scallop to get this Reverse 'S' blade a better fit and at least bury the lock notch corner. There still will be a forced compromise with the intersecting angle of the kick at the choil.

Lefty tip up is absolutely doable... however peel ply OD green is a sticking point. On the retail market for G10... nobody is supplying a medium or fine textured G10... ONLY coarse. I machined a couple of coarse textured scales and I won't do it again. Coarse textured G10 is worse than a rasp when it comes to pocket fabric.

Even the medium textured black G10 I had been offering as seen in your referenced photo has dried up on the retail market. My supplier Alpha Knife no longer has it in stock.

Lefty tip up is absolutely doable... however peel ply OD green is a sticking point. On the retail market for G10... nobody is supplying a medium or fine textured G10... ONLY coarse. I machined a couple of coarse textured scales and I won't do it again. Coarse textured G10 is worse than a rasp when it comes to pocket fabric.

Even the medium textured black G10 I had been offering as seen in your referenced photo has dried up on the retail market. My supplier Alpha Knife no longer has it in stock.
That's cool, I'm not that picky. Is there a list of colors available to you for the scales/spines I can reference?

Thank you

Not really...

I do not have a web site... just my FLICKR photo archive where I store past projects and some CAD renders. It takes a LOT of scrolling as it is in chronological order. My most recent projects are first... oldest projects are last. https://www.flickr.com/photos/mica17/

Not really...

I do not have a web site... just my FLICKR photo archive where I store past projects and some CAD renders. It takes a LOT of scrolling as it is in chronological order. My most recent projects are first... oldest projects are last. https://www.flickr.com/photos/mica17/

fkwu87.jpg

Top is the color but if Black is not available is there a Dark Gray? Bottom is the version I'd like, can do? If so let me know where to send the money.

Thank you very much

Last edited:
supahfreak said:
Top is the color but if Black is not available is there a Dark Gray? Bottom is the version I'd like, can do? If so let me know where to send the money.

Thank you very much

My books are currently closed so that I can eliminate my backlog prior to some extended time off. I anticipate reopening my books sometime mid-summer 2017.

The NoMod Delica/Lil'Para was the initial profile modified design I came up with. It used all the stock Delica hardware and liners. Once the design was posted on the Forums suggestions for improvement were made and the MKII design became the GrindMod Delica/Lil'Para. This version required a slight amount of grinding to remove the protruding nose of the Delica's stainless liners to fit the new profile shape.

The popularity of the GrindMod version caused me to abandon the NoMod design. I no longer machine the NoMod version.

Back