Spyderco knives???????

I have seen a dud every once in a while from every top brand out there, but they are incredibly rare. The kicker with someone like Spyderco is that their customer service is going to take care of you if you do get a dud. The chances of getting the dud are less than 1%, that much I can tell you! Buy with confidence my friend!

Given the spelling and grammar I have a hard time taking this one seriously but I'll try...

In short, no brand is perfect but every Spyderco I have ever handled has been a very good quality knife, regardless of where it was made or placed in the lineup of models. On top of that, they back all knives with a lifetime warranty.

You probably got a fake. 15 years ago my uncle's spyderco police knife was cooler than a lightsaber to me.

Work on your spelling and grammar, no one will take you seriously with so many mistakes.

I'm guessing one of two things. 1. You had a "gas station jar" Spyderco and assumed it was the real thing - Or 2. You're trying to pull a few chains. (I'm leaning strongly towards 2)

I also bought my first Spyderco 15-17 years ago (FRN Dragonfly) and it completely changed my knife buying habits. I rarely buy any other brand, and I now own over 60 Spyderco folders.

Ive bought 4 Spydies in the last 16 or 17 years, and they have all been excellent knives. The steel on some of them isn't the best, but it is always good value for the money paid. For example, my Dragonfly has Aus 8 steel, which some people disdain. But its fine within its limitations, and we don't all want supersteels all the time. They are all good using knives.

Attempting to remember the details of something you "hated" 15 years ago may not paint the most accurate picture, no more so than remembering something you "loved" as a kid but lost along the way. Once you're inclined to view something negatively, that's probably not going to change with time and if anything will leave you with an impression of hating it more than you actually did. It's definitely possible that your old knife was a fake, but it's also possible that you got a dud. Fans of Spyderco may like to think that a knife of lesser quality never slips through QC, but we read about various premium brands cranking out a lemon every now and then. The thing is, anecdotal evidence on an Internet forum is rarely changing anyone's mind, and your recollection of a crap knife that you threw away so long ago makes it pretty tough to offer anything more than a less-than-educated guess.

Personally, I'm not a Spyderco fan because I simply don't care for their designs, but that doesn't lead me to think any less of their quality, especially when there are so many overwhelmingly positive comments on this forum. Information being as readily available as it is nowadays, I'd suggest doing a little research and picking a knife with the design and materials you want, and giving it a shot. There are so many sources for reviews of production knives that you can easily benefit from other buyers' experiences, good or bad.

Hmmmm, jump on, ask a "pointed" question about a very popular, well documented brand, get 26 replies, and not ever come back??? Something seems fishy about this post.

To the OP, if you are being serious, and have a real question about Spyderco and their quality, I have to agree with the previous posters. I personally think they are one of the finest production knives. That is MY opinion. Just one person. I do think plenty will agree with me though. I would find one in a design you like, in a steel you like, and give them a shot. If you don't like it, sell it here. Spydercos tend to move very quickly on The Exchange. Often at not much of a loss.

I'm not a giant fan of Spyderco's designs, but I've never had any issues with their QUALITY. In fact, I have such trust in their quality that my most recent knife order was 5 Spyderco blades, an Endura, a Delica, a Dragonfly, and 2 Manix 2's(one with the BD-1/Translucent Blue, one S110V/Midnight Blue)

The Spyderhole is definitely a love it or hate it aspect of Spyderco knives. It tends to make Spyderco blades wider than would be without it and yes, I think it takes away from the attractiveness of a lot of Spyderco's designs. But one time using a Spyderhole to deploy a blade was enough to convince me that it was well worth putting esthetics in the back seat. So I tolerate the Spyderhole for the incredible ease of use it provides.

I have a question for all the Spyderco fans and owners, how is their knife quality?????
The reason I ask, is about 15 years ago I bought one of their folders as my EDC/ work knife. I litteraly hated that knife
the quality was horrable, I could not get it to hold an edge, and after using it for several weeks I finally just through it away.
Since then i have had Kershaw, Leatherman , Case, and others . Currently I carry a benchmade.
The Question I have are there knives better know??????????????
I had a chance to Take a look at a Southard last week and it seemed to be a well built knife.
Have they always been good and I just got a junk one, or have they improved over the years?
Looking forward to some seasoned reviews, thanks :rolleyes:

I am probably wrong, but this looks like a troll post.

I am probably wrong, but this looks like a troll post.

He may be trolling, he may not be. But I think (especially here) that people are too quick to call out "troll". Not everyone with an issue is a troll. Now I could be wrong as well and he could very well be trolling, but until you know more wouldn't it be better to just to not post if you can't help the supposed issue? This isn't directed specifically at you either, a lot of people do this

I'm thinking the OP was very tired when he wrote this post and question marks must make him sleepy because every time he tried to type a question mark he dozed off with his finger still pressing the key.

While relatively new to Spyderco knives I think they are, for the most part, the best engineered production knives out there. As an engineer myself I think what draws me to them is how well thought out the designs are, and how they are built for practical use, as well as the cutting edge steels they frequently experiment with. Not to mention the fact that they exhibit excellent quality at great prices. I have a few benchmade knives as well but I prefer my spyderco knives.

I couldn't agree more. Spyderco also supports the efforts of many world class knifemakers whose work would be totally out of reach for most of us were it not for the collaborations they foster. Without a doubt, Spyderco is a major asset to the cutlery community.

I've had my fair share of Kershaw, CRKT, Benchmade, etc. In my opinion, Spyderco build quality, materials, fit-finish, design and price points are all second to none in the production knife sector. You may have gotten a dud years back. I'd encourage you to try again and see what you think.

I have had nothing but positive experiences with Spyderos. I own a Native, a Tenacious and a Delica 4 and all of them are excellent in fit and finish AND they hold an edge very well...

Jay

I have been using Spyderco's since 1990. Been collecting since 2006. Out of the dozens of Spydies I own, none have had issues that were worse than I have seen on Benchmades, Kershaws etc. And most issues like blade play and centering can be adjusted or fixed. As for the steel quality, inho Spyderco has THE BEST heat treating of any high production knife maker. They have even adjusted HT's because of customer concerns from Mule Team knives. Plus they have fantastic customer service and are run by two of the greatest knife nuts, Sal and Eric.

I think your issue might be from a fake, and while I am not sure you are trolling, posts like yours just spread disinformation...especially since you gave zero information on the model, steel etc.

I think the main question to ask is, what isn't great about Spyderco. They are fantastic! Some haters will knock on them, but my Delica 4 is to the same quality of my friends' Benchmade's!

Back