Spyderco "mislead" about price increases!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. Rocket science involves numbers and math. ;)

That said, I'm sure that's a factor. The question is how much of a factor. For instance, how much more expensive is G-10 at that scale of production? A point I made earlier is that G-10 and actions on bearings aren't as rare as they used to be. They can now be found on some real bargain-basement knives in 3Cr13 (etc.) that cost less than the price difference between a Meadowlark and a Tenacious.

First off, so whatcha sayin’? You’re the one who doesn’t seem to “get it”, no matter how often it’s pounded into your head. o_O

As to your second “point”, G-10 is not all the same. It is not made of the same materials using the same processes. Neither are bearings or bearing systems (or liners, or blade steel, or anything else for that matter especially when it comes to Chinese manufacturers). I had planned on going into great detail with cited examples to illustrate, but it quite frankly isn’t worth the time.

Google phthalates in Chinese plastic toys sometime. 50%+ of these things imported from China contain toxins. Sure, they’re plastic toys, but made with no care to what goes in them. The Chinese tell their own citizens not to let their kids put the toys into their mouth. Why do they do this? It’s cheaper.

Think their knife material manufacturing processes are any different? o_Oo_Oo_O

Last edited:
character_themuppets_gonzo_1e23c382.jpeg
160827617105892p

Yep. Definitely says the kind of stuff one would expect.
Nice touch.

I love my Sage 3, my most often carried knife.

You owe Sal and Eric an apology for this fairy tale you've concocted to justify your own agenda. This is just pure blatant slander from a true piece of shit member. If you don't like them or if you haven't worked hard enough in your life to buy the range of quality Spyderco puts out, that's on you GarbageFan take your pissing and moaning somewhere else.
I was thinking the same thing. That title is pretty slanderous. I'm not seeing any evidence of Sal lying.

Spydercos are worth every penny in my experience. Now I'm definitely buying another one.

Last edited:
Carried my s45vn para 3 today! Awesome knife and worth every penny. This is the dumbest thing I have seen here in awhile. Just because it is made in China doesn't mean anything really. There are a crap ton of chinese made pay as you go phones at gas stations for $20. Iphones are also made in China and $1000. “Made in China” does not make an apple an orange.

G Ganzofan if someone were to ask me which knife manufacturer I consider to be generally trustworthy and genuinely customer oriented, I wouldn't even stop to think before answering Sal/Spyderco.

Your portrayal of them as too profit driven and hypocritical seems silly, as does your reasoning. Your manner of presenting it seems to be willfully insulting. Why?

Here's a pic of what I consider to be value for money. Why? Because this knife will be reliably doing what I need it for, long after I forgot the price.

mjSC5KO.jpg

Last edited:
Let us know the location of the dumpster you throw them in. :D

Oh no, I live on the ocean and can easily drop them in 1000 fathoms any day they must be made unusable by anyone.

This post is really silly, why is it even going on. Spyderco puts out a knife with a price on it; if you like it buy it if you don't nothing more needs to be said.

OP had to know this was going to inflame a lot of people. I love my Spydercos. That said, I am happy I bought them years back before the price increase. I was looking at a CQI Military and I cannot justify the new price when I got my older Millie for $130.

There's some yokel on youtube who touts TwoSun constantly as well. I will stick with a knife I that uses the materials it advertises. I am willing to bet that TwoSun has never even had D2 Steel in their building, much less on their knives.

Spyderco already has enough problems with counterfeit knock-offs everywhere you turn, they don't need to be libeled against to make it worse, ive never heard a single problem, with the exception of a clicking sound as it "detents" from a tenacious i bought at walmart, which in my mind is small fish, the company deserves all the respect it has earned

G Ganzofan If you want to accuse Spyderco/Sal Glesser of lying (who is a pillar of the knife world and a member in good standing), you'd better bring some convincing proof to the table. Your opening post wasn't exactly a smoking gun. If you really want to be convincing, you should perform something called a 'should-cost analysis'.

Spyderco as a brand reminds me a little bit of Apple: they have good products that excel in design and ergonomics, but you're probably also paying extra for the logo. Thankfully, that's where the similarities end, because Spyderco seems like a decent company, and Apple's business practices seem a little sketchy lately.

Look, I get it, Spyderco seems a bit more on the expensive side of the spectrum compared to some other offerings. But there can be a lot of reasons for that. I can think of a few; consistent quality control, good materials, good and consistent grinds, regular sprint runs, fair deals for suppliers, fair working conditions and wages, the unique designs... The list goes on. And yes, the logo and brand name are probably on that list too. It's up to the customer to decide if that's the deal they wanna make in exchange for the knife they're gonna get. It's no secret many people consider it worthwhile.

As an aside, I do not think you need to have certains qualifications to form an opinion on the price. As a consumer, you want to have reasonable conviction that you're paying a fair and reasonable price. The regular consumer cannot be expected to become an expert about every product he/she/whatever buys. They can, however, be expected to think about prices and costs and make decisions based on that. Think about it: If you're buying a new car you're probably looking at those aspects. A house? A boat? A new PC? You can't be an expert on all things combined. It's very common for people to ask questions about the price and price increases. And it's also very common for the vendor/manufacturer to provide some form of plausible explanation.

I think it's a sign of transparency when someone openly admits to lacking a certain expertise. Some people here are being way too harsh. This is a forum where knife enthusiasts are meant to come together to enjoy talking about their shared hobby. There shouldn't be a 'this tall to ride' requirement. It didn't come across as very welcoming.

I am.

The knives are not comparable.
  • Tenacious has G10 handles
  • $25 RAT has FRN handles with no liners.
G10 is much more expensive to form and machine than the FRN handles of the RAT.

And you want to be real careful throwing around insults at the moderator. "Fanboy" is an insult.

The rat does have liners unless im missing something.

A big part of the argument is: Will you pay more for American made? Hell yes I will, gladly. 99.9999% of people who see you using that Ganzo will never think a thing of it but one person eventually will think "ahh, short-bucks there can't afford a GOOD knife".

is a company for profit, which is only normal. But for a for profit company to masquerade as an altruistic company in the interest of serving knife addicts while blaming price increases on external factors is hypocritical. While it's true Spyderco is serving knife addicts but that is also their market and that is their business where profit is derived.

You are accusing one of the best and most reputable U.S. knife companies of price gouging.

You are accusing the founder and President of that company, one of the most respected people in the knife industry, of blatantly lying.

You are accusing the Moderators of Bladeforums of victimising you by messing with your account and membership. (As though they don't have anything better to do!)

Here is the bottom line.......If you can't afford to buy a Spyderco (or simply won't pay the money) that's fine. Not everyone can.
However coming here and slandering Spyderco's reputation with lies and here-say because you are too cheap to buy a premium U.S. product is simply trolling. Then accusing the Mods of messing with your account is just the cherry on top of your trolling sundae.

My guess is you won't have to wait long before the Mods really mess with your membership!

Last edited:
Is it possible Ganzo is using 440c but with a horrific or almost non existant heat treat process ?

If the OP bothered himself to read Sal’s replies as to why Spyderco’s latest MAPP increased, then he would understand the price difference from 2008 until now.
There’s no point trying to explain things like contracts, material price increases, labor costs, value of the dollar vs foreign currency, quality control or any of the other aspects of operating a business.
Seems to me the OP has some insight into Spyderco’s overall business practices or has a beef with Spyderco.

Seems to me the OP has some insight into Spyderco’s overall business practices or has a beef with Spyderco.
He's got a beef with bladeforums, the moderators, and the members, most of which disagree with his pro clone stance. There's no point in arguing with a person like that. Makes you wonder why he's even here, and then you look at his exchange participation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back