Spyderco Neck Knife

stjames

Sebenzanista
Reading through the “Fixed Blade” thread has gotten me thinking about the one area that is lacking in the Spyderco line-up, and in the Production Knife Industry in general: A high quality, truly useful neck knife.

It seems that the next fixed blade offering by Spyderco will be along the lines of a traditional belt knife, which is all well and good. But the company could enter the neck knife field at the head of the pack by offering an actually useful tool that can be worn and used in a variety of settings. It seems that the most popular configuration would be a flat ground, drop point blade with a length of <4”. I would be good to have something other than a skeletonized or cord wrapped handle, with Micarta being my personal choice. It has to have Function, first and foremost, with the added elements of convenience and concealability.

I can think of no better design than a Production version of the Lynn Griffith Patrolman. Anyone who owns one of Lynn’s knives can attest to their quality, and that quality begins with the clean, elegant, functional design of each of his pieces.

If Spyderco were to implement this on a large-scale version, they would be leaps and bounds ahead of the competition, instantly. It also has a name that fits into the line well, right alongside the Police and Rookie folders.

Most LEO’s would hesitate to purchase a Custom knife for their everyday backup, but a production version of the Patrolman would be perfect for their needs, at a cost they could afford and with the quality they demand. Spyderco would be the perfect company to bring this to life.

Who knows, Sal. In a few years you might have the bragging rights of “discovering” Lynn Griffith and brining his designs to the world. That would be another feather in your already plume filled cap.

------------------
James Segura
San Francisco, CA

Sal, I must agree with James. I think the Griffith Patrolman would be an outstanding idea. Combine two great names in the knife world, Griffith/Spyderco. Just could not get much better than that. The Patrolman is a wonderful, and very versatile knife. I know, I own the custom version
smile.gif
Spyderco would be the perfect company to turn out a production version. I truely hope you would consider that, it would be a match made in knife heaven.

View

Just imagine, owning a Spyderco Police, Rookie and Patrolman
smile.gif

Richard

Ouch... now that's one sweet knife, Richard.
smile.gif

Hmmm... Now the question is, what would Spyderco add to make it unique from the original custom design of Mr. Griffith?
smile.gif

Dan

St. James - Neck Knives bring up questions for which I do not have answers.

Mike Sastre is making very nice neck sheaths for our folders...these do not open until after they are clear of the body.

I have difficulty imagining drawing a 4 or 5 inch razor sharp (plain or serrated) blade from beneath my shirt, in a hurry, without cutting something on the way out. If I have to unbutton the shirt, or tear in open superman style, then is is much slower than pocket carry???

Richard - How long is the blade on Lynn's "Patrolman"?

Dannyc - What would you add to Lynn's design?

sal

Hi Sal, the blade on my Patrolman is about 4", maybe just a teeny, tiny bit under that.

Richard

I would think a slightly smaller blade (3") and very slim carbon fiber or micarta scales would be an easier carry. I think Sal does have a good point tho, when he mentioned Mike Sastre's sheaths, they kind of already fill the neck knife slot. Not that I wouldn't line up to buy a fixed blade neck knife from Spyderco!!
biggrin.gif

Brian

------------------
A dedicated ELU
Buck Collectors Club Member
Knifeknut(just ask my wife)
Cetan Blood Brother Society Member

Before the kydex neck sheath, I just hung my Delica on my chain with my dog tags. I know thats not what you want, but it worked for me at the time.

Blades

I would add the aforementioned slightly smaller blade, carbon fiber handles, I also might shape the handles differently to add to its unique ness from Lynn's custom design.

I change the blade steel to soemthing that would appear exclusivly on the Spyderco model.

I also might do a small run of Lynn's talonite blades with Spyderco markings.

Speaking the Spyderco mark I think it should be a cut out Spyder about 3/8" across located where the Spyderco hole would be were this a folder.

Later,
John

P.S. If you get the carbon fiber handles you might as well go with carbon fiber Concealex as well.
smile.gif

Speaking of the shealth, I think besided being a neck shealth you should be able to screw on a clip for belt carry. This should be a versitile "system" allowing the shealth to be carried at many angles.

Later,
John

P.S. This should also be the only Spyderco fixed blade with carbon fiber handles adding to its uniqueness.

[This message has been edited by automantic (edited 01-02-2000).]

I see some concern with neck only carry stated above. I think neck carry would be only one option. However, Lynn uses the tek-lok system, which gives you good belt carry options. Below are some links to pictures of my new Griffith Tracker with the tek-lok.
Makes an already outstanding knife even better.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=110070&a=805643&p=14849730&Sequence=0
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=110070&a=805643&p=14849731&Sequence=0
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=110070&a=805643&p=14849734&Sequence=0
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=110070&a=805643&p=14849735&Sequence=0

Richard

Sal, I am not a huge fan of neck carry myself. The only time I really do carry a knife that way is now, sitting around the house in sweatpants and relaxing. Fortunately, as Richard points out, the knife is versatile enough to be used with a variety of options, including standard belt carry.

My favorite way to carry the Sniper I own, another knife from Lynn’s Back Up Series, is a simple inverted carry clip. This allows me to hang the knife, tip up, from my inside coat pocket. I have been working at the Symphony off-and-on the last few weeks and we are required to wear a Tuxedo or a black suit backstage, as to be properly presentable when performing Orchestra moves (rearranging the placement of the instruments and risers for the different music pieces). This allows me to have a compact yet useful knife at my side at all times, very handy when the acoustic panels for the harpist show up wrapped in plastic just minutes before curtain.

I would also like to point out that no matter how you carry a folding knife, it is still just that; a folding knife. That is not preferred by many and completely unacceptable to some. You already have a fine line of excellent folders, but what neither you nor any production company doesn’t currently market is a versatile, useful, easily concealed fixed blade that can fill many roles at once. All the other offerings sacrifice too much for the sake of concealed neck carry. Lynn’s design proves that you don’t have to. By offering a knife that is a tool and not just a self-defense/concealed carry piece, you will be filling a real need in the current market.

I also think that John’s idea of a Spyderco Logo cutout is excellent. Distinctive yet unobtrusive.

------------------
James Segura
San Francisco, CA

Hi Sal,

Dannyc - What would you add to Lynn's design?

Hey! you just threw my question back at me! hahahaha!!!
smile.gif

Seriously though, I dunno. I'll ditto the Spyderco logo cutout on the blade.

The trademark "hole" is definitely out of the question, since it's a fixed blade. The handle is what makes Lynn's work unique, so that'll have to stay. Though you can make it out of the same stuff used on the Moran's handle.

You're right. The BF Native w/ Mike Sastre's sheath already fills the niche on neck knives as far as Spyderco is concerned. No accidental slashing as well on its way out.

Maybe not a neck knife, but a collaboration between Spyderco and Griffith Knives, for a Spydie version of the fixed blade.

After all, aren't collaborations supposed to provide us ELUs with an affordable version of the custom model?
smile.gif
I know a lot of people would want a more "attainable" version of Lynn's knives (for those of us who can't afford to spend over $200 for an FB), and we feel that Spyderco is his best bet for creating a production version of this truly magnificent knife.
smile.gif

Couple that with a sheath that resembles the one with the Moran FB, and we have a real winner here.
smile.gif

Dan

A neck sheath may be the alternative to a fixed blade. I'm delighted with my Harpy sheath from Mike Sastre.
While in South Africa recently I saw Kydex neck sheaths for most Spydercos, including a model that carries the Merlin in the open position.

------------------
Check Six...
Dennis

While holes may be out of the question, perhaps a recess (short cylindrical) or a slight indentation(?), one per blade side would add a nice touch. It could serve as both a secondary "trademark" and an additional retention point for the kydex neck sheath! What do you all think?

L8r,
Nakano

I know a lot of people would want a more "attainable" version of Lynn's knives (for those of us who can't afford to spend over $200 for an FB),

Danny,
Thanks. For the record though, my "Patrolman" starts at $150.
wink.gif
I agree though, a Spyderco/Griffith, would be more attainable. It would also be a great way for people to get my design, with out the wait. Great thing about a collaboration for me, is that I could carry a Spyderco, and not feel guilty for not carrying one of my own.
biggrin.gif
Collaboration or not, Spyderco will always be my favorite factory made knife.

------------------
Lynn Griffith-Knifemaker

griffithknives.com
GriffithKN@aol.com
Available Knives

If all of you gentleman will excuse my language - there is another Lynn in this business - Cold Steel has a trio of neck knives that are hardly amazing - but at around US$ 30 a piece - looks like a viable option

The cold steel’s that I have, perform exceptionally well - for factory knives.

Again - no offense anyone - just a thought...

Doesn't CRKT pretty much have
the "Killer App" of the Neck Knife
market with the stiff Kiss and stiff
Peck?

DaveH

Lynn,

Whoops! Sorry...
biggrin.gif
Wrong price quote.
smile.gif
Let's hope Sal considers it though, as I'm sure it'll be a big hit, no doubt.

Same here, Spyderco is also my favorite factory knife. In fact, I'm getting rid of all my Benchmades (sorry to BM lovers out there) and hopefully generate cash to get more Spyderco knives.
smile.gif
That is why I'm pretty active in Sal's brainstorming (R&D) these days coz if these things materialize, I'd be more than proud to own them for sure.
wink.gif

Dave,

Yep, CRKT have two of the more popular neck knives. But their blade steel (AUS-6) and their neck sheaths (plastic zytel) is not something I would consider heavy duty. But at $20+ a pop, they are good buys. Maybe if they improved their blade steel choices...

Dan

Look in the July 99' Tactical Knives on page 20. You will see my Sniper, and two Stiff Kiss Tantos. Shortly after this picture was released CRKT came out with the Wharncliffe version, that more than a little bit resembles my Sniper. It is my honest opinion that CRKT got the idea from that picture. To me this is an example of less that desirable buissness practice. Whether they used my design or not, what should matter to you is there choice of inferior steel.

My two cents,

------------------
Lynn Griffith-Knifemaker

griffithknives.com
GriffithKN@aol.com
Available Knives

Sal,
Neck knives aren't about speed! They are about wearing neck knives! (Maybe a little stealth if you are so inclined.)

Back