Spyderco Neck Knife

Sal,
Neck knives aren't about speed! They are about wearing neck knives! Maybe a little stealth if you are so inclined. I was grabbed from behind by a well trained friend and was unable to get to my pants pockets. I pulled my Woo out of my shirt and all I heard as he let me go was "S***!!! Where did THAT come from!?!"

Blilious,
You are correct. The "other Lynn's" knives are hardly amazing. They are hardly worth buying. Way too bulky for a neck knife. One of their mini-tanto's (with the tsuba(?)cut down a bit and a flatter grind) would make a handy if not heavy neck knife.

DaveH,
CRKT Stiff Kiss series knives are far from the "Killer App." of the neck knife arena. (AUS6 is just nasty.) Right now, I would say thay title would go to Newt Livesay's Woo. (Some might argue REKAT's Hobbit Fang or Hobbit Utility.)

I think a Spyderco neck knife is a wonderful idea and must Second (or sixth at this point) Lynns nomination as a possible collaborator. A couple of sizes would be nice. A Sr. and Jr. version!

Lynn,
You got to be kidding.
Do some research. Find Knives '89 Annual and go to page 102. Many of that type knife was made by alot of us, even back then.

As Joe Friday used to say, "Just the facts, Mam."

lynn,

again i must bow to your lameness. wharncliffe's have been around way before you were born, son. shesh

Lynn,

Advertising incessantly ad nauseum is one thing, but taking credit for designs that were around before you were even a gleam in someone's eye is just plain wrong and the height of self delusion.

And before you go accusing all of us of not liking you,(as usual), why don't you just reflect on what it is that we object to?

Apologies in advance to the Spyderco forum for taking up valuable space to address this.

Blues

------------------
Live Free or Die

Some Knife Pix

This is probably not the best place to post this, but bear with me:

Anybody has any experience with Pat Crawford's Titanium neck knives?

They go for 250 $ on www.robertsoncustomcutlery.com

Your knowledgeable help will be greatly appreciated

As a daily neck knife wearer as well as a major Spyderco fan, I have to chime in here. I would absolutely love the idea of a Spyderco neck knife -- but, first, what exactly is a neck knife? From what I've read here and in many other places, apparently it's different things to different people. IMO, neck knives & small knives capable of being carried discreetly are not synonymous.

At 6'2" & nearly 260 lbs, I can conceal a knife at least as well as most people. (A Hell's Belle in a Dundee rig disappears under a light vest.) However, as much as I love my damascus Nealy Pesh Kabz for discreet carry, a package 9" long X almost 2 1/2" wide doesn't hide very well under a t-shirt. Weight & handle thickness are also factors. Here's a pic of 2 of my favorite small FBs, a REKAT Hobbit Fang & an AG Russell Sting:
View

Although they are very close in OAL, the Sting is simply too heavy & too thick for me to consider wearing as a concealed neck knife.

My specs for an ideal concealed carry neck knife w/sheath are: <= 7" OAL; <= 4 oz, the lighter the better; and, not much more than 1/4" thick, including scales. As to blade shape, I'd like to see something a bit more general purpose than a Wharncliffe. I think a satin finished Frank Centofante tapered spearpoint would be great combined w/thin white micarta scales & a minimal-size CF pattern Concealex sheath.

Finally, Lynn, the only similarity I see between your Sniper & CRKT's Neck Peck is that both have "Wharncliffe" style blades which, as has been mentioned, is a very old pattern. (According to CRKT's site, the pattern was "Named for the sixteenth century Earl of Wharncliffe who introduced it to England, it was in fact developed and used by the Romans.") If anyone cares to open pictures of your Sniper & CRKT's Neck Peck in separate browser windows, they will clearly see that the execution of both blade pattern & handle shape is very different.

------------------
Cheers,

--+Brian+--

aka Dagda the Insatiable, Member of the Terrible Ironic HORDE
"I may be goin' to hell in a bucket, Babe, but at least I'm enjoyin' the ride."

[This message has been edited by bcaffrey (edited 01-05-2000).]

I think that Mike Sastre has filled the Spyderco neck knife void quite well.
He can make a sheath to fit any Spyderco that you want to carry. His sheaths are more that adequate and he doesn't scream to everyone about how good they are.

Bobby Branton

Originally posted by Knifeslinger:

I think that Mike Sastre has filled the Spyderco neck knife void quite well.
He can make a sheath to fit any Spyderco that you want to carry. His sheaths are more that adequate...

I have several of Mike's sheaths & I agree that they're great. A G-10 Harpy in one of his neck sheaths is my absolute favorite when I'm on the water and I frequently throw a Matriarch around my neck when going out to walk the dogs. However, this brings me back to a point that I was trying to make about varying neck knife purposes & concealment. IMO, they are fine under a jacket, sweatshirt, etc. or when you are carrying openly, but I find they do "print" under a light shirt.

...and he doesn't scream to everyone about how good they are.

Hehe.
wink.gif

------------------
Cheers,

--+Brian+--

aka Dagda the Insatiable, Member of the Terrible Ironic HORDE
"I may be goin' to hell in a bucket, Babe, but at least I'm enjoyin' the ride."

[This message has been edited by bcaffrey (edited 01-05-2000).]

Lynn,
In Your statement above did you loose your mind?
Man do the investigation before opening your pie hole.

Look up CASE knives, Camillus cutlery, ect just for a start. There just the modern folks who have used this design. Hell adding a handle to the blade doesent make it yours. .
That blade style is older than all of us for god sake. In this industry all we can do is give our spin on what has been done in some form.
Les Robertson had a series of warncliff tacticals out a few years back. Just because you have a curve differnt or whatever doesent mean you are the owner. If you are show me the patent or trademark.
Invent something ,get a patent then come hollaring!
Give us a break ok!

cool.gif

------------------
Web Site At www.infinet.com/~browzer/bldesmth.html
New Web at www.darrelralph.com

page 40 of Knives82 has a wharncliff and there is also a Buck multiblade folder in
the back under production knives with a
wharncliff blade.

how old were you in 82 lynn?

Darrel, Kit, Blues,
did you guys get a rather nasty email from
lynn too? he really can't take criticism very
well.

lynn,
why don't you post your nasty responses here in forums like the rest of us? show everyone how you really feel.
rolleyes.gif

i apoplogize to spyderco also for taking up
space with this nonsense, but felt a response was necessary.

------------------
Tim Herman
visit Herman Knives at:
Herman Knives

[This message has been edited by HermanKnives (edited 01-05-2000).]

I think y'all are misinterpreting what Lynn said.

Either that, or he has gone insane.
wink.gif

Later,
John

------------------
The King of Sweden was out hunting in the woods with one of his assistants. As they looked around suddenly there appeared in the clearing another man. The King raised his rifle. The man shouted "I'm not a moose!" The King fired a shot and killed the man. Stunned, the assistant said, "Sire, he said, 'I'm not a moose.'" "Oh" said the King, "I thought he said, 'I am a moose.'"

Tim,

He may have sent me a nastygram, but I think my kill filter might have gotten it first.

Blues

------------------
Live Free or Die

Some Knife Pix

No I didnt . I feel slighted.
I am not trying to make Lynn feel bad . I just dont think he has done his homework.
The handle design on Lynns knife is a standard fore finger rear wing grip. The blade is a warncliff.
Please .... CRKT has a great rep and I dont think its proper to state things that are not true without investigation.

So ding me .
I think we all owe someone for some part of what we do as knifemakers.. Some parts of a knife can be redesigned a little . The basics are most always the same though. So it may look like someone is on your trail and they really are not.

cool.gif

------------------
Web Site At www.infinet.com/~browzer/bldesmth.html
New Web at www.darrelralph.com

[This message has been edited by Darrel Ralph (edited 01-05-2000).]

Darrel,

i agree, i dont think anyone can come up with
a totally new knife design that hasnt got some part from another knife in it or been used before. the german s.s. daggers are just like knives made 3000 years ago by one civilization! we can change a line here and a curve there to give a design "our" look that seperates it from others and thats what makes
it ours.

i can tell anybody that wants to know where my design ideas came from on any given knife i make and i gladly give credit to the maker.
to me one should strive for their own look and it is amazing how just one little design change, a curve or a line here or there, will change the look of that knife and will be distinguishable from other makers work. those with the design sense to do this stand out from the crowd, those that cant follow.

i am not trying to make lynn feel bad or be insulting either, just get real! he calls me an insecure troll but i sure dont have to try and take credit for something i didnt do. my designs i feel are different from others but they are far from absolutely original. they are influenced by many good maker/designers.

lynn,
come down off your throne and join the rest of us
smile.gif

------------------
Tim Herman
visit Herman Knives at:
Herman Knives

[This message has been edited by HermanKnives (edited 01-05-2000).]

"There is NOTHING new under the sun".

I read this in the Bible and at the time it seemed somewhat profound. It applies to most all things and situations. It especially applies to the world of knife blade patterns.
As man's most basic tool, I think every conceivable practical pattern has been tried and refined or discarded at one time or another in the knife's long history. Trying to claim any one particular pattern as one's own, is, at best, an exercise in foolishness as there is nothing new under the sun. At least as far as knife blade patterns are concerned.

------------------
So, what IS the speed of dark?

Lynn pointed out that a photo of his knife was published in a magazine in close proximity to a photo of a product put out by a factory. The factory then came out with a version of the same knife with a blade profile remarkably similar to the one presented next to it. It doesn’t seem a stretch to think that viewing the two different knives together “inspired” the idea of a Warncliffe version of the STIFF KISS. It might be a coincidence, it might not. But nowhere has Lynn ever claimed that he “inventing” a certain blade style. He was just expressing his opinion of the situation.

That several well-known custom makers decided to use this as an opportunity to publicly slam another person in their field seems rude, at best. I would think that your own experiences with past design plagiarism would give you some insight into Lynn’s take on the matter. I have great admiration for your work, Gentlemen, but this misguided public display is far from your finest moment. I though better of you.

(H)is friends used to heckle him for being a Platonist, but everywhere he goes he sees the same few ideal forms shadowed in the physical world. Maybe he’s just stupid or something.

-Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

------------------
James Segura
San Francisco, CA

stjames,
The factory then came out with a version of the same knife with a blade profile remarkably similar to the one presented next to it. It doesn’t seem a stretch to think that viewing the two different knives together “inspired” the idea of a Warncliffe version of the STIFF KISS. It might be a coincidence, it might not.

how can you say that adding an age old blade shape, which is currently very popular, be an idea stolen from lynn?? of course it looks similar, its a wharncliffe!!!what a coincidence! did they copy his handle shape exactly? them decicing to make a wharncliffe knife is just keeping up with what is popular.

i was talking of a total look of a knife that is redesigned by a particular maker to make it his style of knives. copying an exact shape is totally differnt. if that were the case then companies and all makers alike are copying some who lived long before any of us.

------------------
Tim Herman
visit Herman Knives at:
Herman Knives

[This message has been edited by HermanKnives (edited 01-06-2000).]

Back