• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad Steven Ketchen <spketch> MIA: Overbooked? Off the grid? Lost his phone? What's up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just so we are clear your not here as a middle man correct? Look you know what he's saying about the lying but you want to be the Buddha of the gb&u. The provider went black he was giving a large timeframe to make it right. He disappointed a lot of people that over the years promoted his services. None here wanted to see him fail and I'm sure would have loved to see him comeback. But after the point this has gotten to no matter what the out come I would bet the op wouldn't change the thread title.

You are correct I am not here as a middleman nor a Guru. I am someone who is part this forum and just because you did not like the position I took, doesn't mean that I cannot be an active part of the community.
I am an honest member who has bought quite a few knives here without a hitch. Just so I understand this I don't need permission from you to post comments here. In fact I wonder why you are answering for Palonej.
in the first place, he doesn't seem to have a problem doing so when he wants to It wouldn't be as bothersome if you at least understood the point of the comment I would understand.

I am wondering are you going to be following me around and making annoying comments. If so I'll P.M. you when and where I am so that you don't have to look to hard. From what I have been experiencing It seems as though I have the freedom to speak as I please as long as you agree with it. Next time let the person that the comment was addressed to answer for himself if he so chooses it's much more polite.
Have a nice evening

A simple email, or a mass email with a brief explanation of what is happening is all it would have taken. Contacting one of us privately, is all it would have taken. We aren't asking for an autobiography of what has happened to his life in the last few years, but something is better than complete silence and false promises. As moderators, we've never divulged personal information that someone has shared with us. That is not going to change any time soon. It's not something that we take pleasure in, but we want people here to be safe and not get ripped off or feel that they have been ripped of with no recourse. It's pretty straight forward.
I completely agree with you and my comment was by no means an attempt to justify him. in fact the opposite. I just think as I said that if he has gone this far without communication I don't think he is really concerned about being banned and that the members need to find other recourse to try and get back what is owed to them. I also want a safe place to buy and sell and after my past experience here and reading about other various situations that have cropped up I am being very cautious when I buy anything.What I have seen here is that this community sticks together and try's to fix problems as a unit and I respect that. I hope something can be done to rectify this situation.

Emjay I think this situation blindsided everyone... I normally don't prepay and even though this was my first go around with Steve I did so based o. His reputation. I am pissed but if this turns out to have been a rough patch for him and he tries to rectify the situation I would forgive.

You are correct I am not here as a middleman nor a Guru. I am someone who is part this forum and just because you did not like the position I took, doesn't mean that I cannot be an active part of the community.
I am an honest member who has bought quite a few knives here without a hitch. Just so I understand this I don't need permission from you to post comments here. In fact I wonder why you are answering for Palonej.
in the first place, he doesn't seem to have a problem doing so when he wants to It wouldn't be as bothersome if you at least understood the point of the comment I would understand.

I am wondering are you going to be following me around and making annoying comments. If so I'll P.M. you when and where I am so that you don't have to look to hard. From what I have been experiencing It seems as though I have the freedom to speak as I please as long as you agree with it. Next time let the person that the comment was addressed to answer for himself if he so chooses it's much more polite.
Have a nice evening
Following you around don't flatter yourself. And I'm not answering for anyone. Now don't for a minute think I'm the only one who didn't agree with the position you took on your cry for help thread from the community. I never told you or anyone else they need permission to post. And I'm sure you have bought thousands of knives here and until you get screwed agian by a seller or a provider you won't have a hitch. But that one time like before you'll come running to the community to help make it right for you. And after the community gets after the seller that screwed you like before you'll crap in their face as a thanks. But you know you got what you wanted. So agian don't flatter yourself on a following it's just hard to not notice the smell of the poop after you step in it. Now on another note op and others the patience you've shown is amazing

Last edited:
Following you around don't flatter yourself. And I'm not answering for anyone. Now don't for a minute think I'm the only one who didn't agree with the position you took on your cry for help thread from the community. I never told you or anyone else they need permission to post. And I'm sure you have bought thousands of knives here and until you get screwed agian by a seller or a provider you won't have a hitch. But that one time like before you'll come running to the community to help make it right for you. And after the community gets after the seller that screwed you like before you'll crap in their face as a thanks. But you know you got what you wanted. So agian don't flatter yourself on a following it's just hard to not notice the smell of the poop after you step in it. Now on another note op and others the patience you've shown is amazing
I am not sure what you mean by patience. I also would like to put the past to bed and move on. If an apology is what you want then I apologize.

A bit premature to be forgiving. Seems this has been a gradual decline over the last year based on previous posts.

What's telling is he seems to have actively recruited work while having no intention of completing it.
I am not forgiving him.. I stated that if he took steps to rectify and if he had a reason that is justifiable I would forgive him... but trust would be another issue altogether.

The only problem I'd have forgiving Ketchen would be if he'd be able to convince me that his apology was sincere-- and after that, I'd have to convince myself of his sincerity.

In the final analysis I'd have to judge the tree by the next crop of fruit.

But with the way he's conducting himself currently-- the plum tree's been chainsawed even with the ground and the stump grinder's on it's way to the orchard right now...

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yes, I remember the whole Eric thing now.
:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::poop:

The only problem I'd have forgiving Ketchen would be if he'd be able to convince me that his apology was sincere-- and after that, I'd have to convince myself of his sincerity.

In the final analysis I'd have to judge the tree by the next crop of fruit.

But with the way he's conducting himself currently-- the plum tree's been chainsawed even with the ground and the stump grinder's on it's way to the orchard right now...
The only redemption would be for all to regain possession of their knives with the work commissioned to be complete. This would also entail a sincere apology along with a rarional explanation of why. Steve had it going people claimed his work was more art than craftsmanship stated he was an honest and upfront guy , that was the only reason I broke from my standing practice of not paying upfront. The mystery of why leaves us all searching for answers and our looted possessions. I have seen our responses go from give him some time he will make it right to he's a thief and liar. I did take one final shot at trying to get his attention and if it works I will let you know.. but not holding my breath. As far as trust goes that will be hard to gain if not impossible for Steve.. forgiveness is easy trust will be harder to regain.

I've been following this thread in shocked sadness. I've worked with Steve on one custom project in the past and am lucky enough to have picked up a couple of knives on the Exchange that wore his scales. We can all agree that Steve has talent and, in my dealings with him, was professional and communicative. From my understanding, Steve is a family man. I'd like to take a moment to divert our concern over knives and emails and shipments and consider the family that's going through a potential crisis first hand; a crisis that we're only witnessing a collateral part of here. I'm not trying to downplay anyone's financial loss or frustration, only trying to contrast our "knife world" problems with some real world problems. Just a little perspective.

P2P1, you've handled this situation with restraint and class. Of the knives you've lost, the only one I own is a Spyderco Chaparral. I'm sending you a PM to arrange shipping you my Chaparral to help make up for your loss.

Not that I need to explain anything to you, but no, I will not be sending over $1000 in knives, plus a couple hundred more dollars to any service provider again.
Do me a favor, you do you.
Not sure who the hell you think you are, but in the future, keep it to yourself.

What you are saying is that if one person has lied to you that would be enough for you to never trust anybody else ever. I am sure at some points in your life you have been lied to by someone at least once. I am pretty sure that you haven't gone through life not trusting anyone else, in fact I would bet that at least one person in you life lied and then apologized and it was forgotten.
Everyone has their price and their breaking point. From what I understand Steve has been on the up and up until now and suddenly he fell apart, this is indicative of something life changing has happened to him.
I by no means am justifying what he has done, to the contrary. I am just tring to say that a person that had been OK for so long and went aerie in such a big fashion has problems that are much bigger than being banned from this forum. I hope you all eventually get satisfaction from Steve but at the moment it seems unlikely.

Major kudos my friend, for an excellent and generous gesture!
Joe
:thumbsup:

I've been following this thread in shocked sadness. I've worked with Steve on one custom project in the past and am lucky enough to have picked up a couple of knives on the Exchange that wore his scales. We can all agree that Steve has talent and, in my dealings with him, was professional and communicative. From my understanding, Steve is a family man. I'd like to take a moment to divert our concern over knives and emails and shipments and consider the family that's going through a potential crisis first hand; a crisis that we're only witnessing a collateral part of here. I'm not trying to downplay anyone's financial loss or frustration, only trying to contrast our "knife world" problems with some real world problems. Just a little perspective.

P2P1, you've handled this situation with restraint and class. Of the knives you've lost, the only one I own is a Spyderco Chaparral. I'm sending you a PM to arrange shipping you my Chaparral to help make up for your loss.

Hack...I have an embarrassment of riches as far as blades are concerned over here. Regardless, I will accept your Chappie in the spirit it was given. And I will be on a mission to find a craftsman who can do it justice by crafting some handles for it like those I requested from Steve. At that point, it will enter my EDC rotation and it will not change hands again until one of my sons inherits it.

It's hard to express emotion via a keyboard-- but trust me, I'm choking up now-- the best consolation anyone could offer me can't be shipped in a Priority mailer. I've already gotten it. The kind gestures, friendships, supports, and commiseration are the greatest and without price. And among knife knuts like us, gifting a blade like you have done for me is extra special and carries a lot of gravity.

I keep thanking everyone for their kindness. Amazing that I lose some physical goods to get much better intangible things to replace them.

I don't know what has made Steve turn into Mr. Hyde, but it likely is a significant emotional event-- he's told me some stuff himself. Is it true???...I just am snakebit and don't feel like I can trust him frankly.

If you guys can show me this much support over some lost $$$ & steel...just imagine what this community would do for Steve Ketchen if he was truly in some strait and needed a hand up. We want good karma for him as much as possible. But it's real lonesome standing on the shore casting our bread on the water and getting no return. He's gotta communicate and be 110% honest-- we're not getting even close to that.

Thanks again!

Very well put brother.....as usual, and I couldn't agree more!
Joe

Hack...I have an embarrassment of riches as far as blades are concerned over here. Regardless, I will accept your Chappie in the spirit it was given. And I will be on a mission to find a craftsman who can do it justice by crafting some handles for it like those I requested from Steve. At that point, it will enter my EDC rotation and it will not change hands again until one of my sons inherits it.

It's hard to express emotion via a keyboard-- but trust me, I'm choking up now-- the best consolation anyone could offer me can't be shipped in a Priority mailer. I've already gotten it. The kind gestures, friendships, supports, and commiseration are the greatest and without price. And among knife knuts like us, gifting a blade like you have done for me is extra special and carries a lot of gravity.

I keep thanking everyone for their kindness. Amazing that I lose some physical goods to get much better intangible things to replace them.

I don't know what has made Steve turn into Mr. Hyde, but it likely is a significant emotional event-- he's told me some stuff himself. Is it true???...I just am snakebit and don't feel like I can trust him frankly.

If you guys can show me this much support over some lost $$$ & steel...just imagine what this community would do for Steve Ketchen if he was truly in some strait and needed a hand up. We want good karma for him as much as possible. But it's real lonesome standing on the shore casting our bread on the water and getting no return. He's gotta communicate and be 110% honest-- we're not getting even close to that.

Thanks again!

There is a lot of class being displayed in this thread by people that have been ripped off. No one would blame you for a few harsh words, and yet you guys continue to take the high road. You guys have earned my respect and I wish you all the best.

Just a little perspective.
If you want a little perspective, you should start with the communication end of the issue.
He says that he has been working on some scales for folks, and that he is going to have some free time here and there.

Use that time to compose an email, not work on scales. The same email can be CC'd or BCC'd to everyone that he owes an email to.

If he just flat out said, sorry folks, major familial issues atm, and I don't have the funds to ship or reimburse. Email me with a screenshot of the PayPal and I will start totaling everything up, so I know what I need to scrape together.
Or
If your scales are ready but I don't have the funds to ship, expect a follow-up email to figure this out.

Either of these would go much further than a missed deadline and another bout of silence.

I get it, times can be tough, and sometimes even tougher. But the only thing he should want to do is be honest, and if that isn't possible, them he should send one email apologizing, offer refunds when possible and disappear until times are better unless he is contacting someone for a refund.
I do have to commend you on this. It is quite the gesture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back