• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad Steven Ketchen <spketch> MIA: Overbooked? Off the grid? Lost his phone? What's up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could you send him a prepaid shipping label to return your knives? Via email or physical mail.

It would be an attempt to recover your knives with no expense to him. If that doesn't work then he is a thief.

If someone sent him a check/money order through the USPS, then they can file with their post office. Then the mail inspectors start looking and they canfile federal fraud charges.

Damn. Really don't know what else there is to say.
After getting to know Steve these last 3 years, and seeing how he is acting......I probably will never trust anyone on the net again.
I would have sworn he would never rip anyone off. Truly sworn.
Damn.
Joe

Can't tell you how many times I posted pics of the scales he did for me and recommended him highly.
Feels real shitty now.

I was the same Joe. Heck I even had his clickable link in my sig for probably 2 years.

Can't tell you how many times I posted pics of the scales he did for me and recommended him highly.
Feels real shitty now.

Joe I've also sent him several jobs DIRECTLY by word or mouth from knifeknuts I had talked up unsolicited on his behalf...not counting who knows how many jobs I helped him generate INDIRECTLY via posting pics of his work for me over at the official Spyderco forum. I've been a member over there 11 years.

When you sing a guy's praises for no other reason than you think he's a great dude and he's done great work for ya--- when you do that out of the heart...and then have him dump all over that goodwill...well, it's just so wrong we can't wrap our minds around it. IT MAKES NO SENSE ON ANY POSSIBLE LEVEL!

That is exactly what state of mind I have been in since you first posted my friend.
Not much surprises me anymore......but this did.
Big time.
After speaking with him in the beginning of July, I had 2 high enders all packed up ready to ship to him the beginning of August.....which is when he told me he'd be starting back up.
You saved my butt brother, and I thank you.
I'm still having trouble processing this whole ordeal.
Sucks.

Joe I've also sent him several jobs DIRECTLY by word or mouth from knifeknuts I had talked up unsolicited on his behalf...not counting who knows how many jobs I helped him generate INDIRECTLY via posting pics of his work for me over at the official Spyderco forum. I've been a member over there 11 years.

When you sing a guy's praises for no other reason than you think he's a great dude and he's done great work for ya--- when you do that out of the heart...and then have him dump all over that goodwill...well, it's just so wrong we can't wrap our minds around it. IT MAKES NO SENSE ON ANY POSSIBLE LEVEL!

Gonna ask PayPal if they can help me recover the $60 I G&S'ed Ketchen a year ago...I know it's outside their statute of limitations, however since it's connected to this last actionable claim, maybe I have a shot.

It's worth a try anyway...

So what's the quickest way I can talk to an actual person over at PayPal to explain what's going on? Who should I ask for? A supervisor? Is there a secret handshake? Hell, is there even a phone number? This is uncharted territory for me, I'm a total noob on filing claims or complaining to PayPal :oops:

Petey, from the PayPal site after you log onto your account, you will need to find and click onto Help which will give you the options one of which will be the phone access option. I think that they will generate a code which you will need to use when you make the call. Those reference codes are typically only good for 30 mins or an hour (I forgot as to which). You will get a PayPal rep on the other end and hopefully you will get a native rather than an outsourced one. I don't know at what point, if any, you will be entitled to request for a supervisor but the rep may be able to escalate it for you.

Good luck and I'm saddened by this clusterfcuk although I have no skin in this game. Case in point and the moral of the story, anyone can go bad at any time for any ungiven reason. When folks can not deal with some tough sh*t in their lives, I suppose that past loyalties and adherences to civilities will be the first to be thrown out of the window, for the me-first types.

After speaking with him in the beginning of July, I had 2 high enders all packed up ready to ship to him the beginning of August.....which is when he told me he'd be starting back up.
Mine weren't "high end"...but one was virtually irreplaceable (my Microtech LCC - purchased new, way back when). As previously mentioned, I had spoken with him about two simple jobs, which I was supposed to ship to arrive the last week of July - he'd told me he wouldn't even charge me for them (yeah - they were that simple; but I was going to pay him, anyway). To be honest, the loss of my M4 PM2 with venom pearl kirinite scales (by him) wouldn't have fazed me; but I'd have been crushed if my LCC didn't come back.

Damn. Really don't know what else there is to say.
After getting to know Steve these last 3 years, and seeing how he is acting......I probably will never trust anyone on the net again.
I would have sworn he would never rip anyone off. Truly sworn.
Damn.
Joe
What you are saying is that if one person has lied to you that would be enough for you to never trust anybody else ever. I am sure at some points in your life you have been lied to by someone at least once. I am pretty sure that you haven't gone through life not trusting anyone else, in fact I would bet that at least one person in you life lied and then apologized and it was forgotten.
Everyone has their price and their breaking point. From what I understand Steve has been on the up and up until now and suddenly he fell apart, this is indicative of something life changing has happened to him.
I by no means am justifying what he has done, to the contrary. I am just tring to say that a person that had been OK for so long and went aerie in such a big fashion has problems that are much bigger than being banned from this forum. I hope you all eventually get satisfaction from Steve but at the moment it seems unlikely.

This behavior is
Not an overnight thing it started late last year. Steve kept stringing people along, asking for money upfront and making promises he appearently never intended to keep. He told me my knife would be ready in a couple of weeks in June and that I would get priority service on another knife we were is discussion about.. if you read through he made promises to others as well...Then he stopped communicating.. he also made some false claims as to shipping people their knives. Now he is totally dark... sorry but I have some suspicions that I will keep to myself as I have no proof to substantiate them.

And to be clear, that is a temporary "ban"?
Permanent, until he gets back to civilization and starts mailing out finished work. I cannot cut him slack if he refuses to communicate. This is really the only last option to be had. I'm sure every moderator on this forum fully supports this action too.

It's listed as Temporary..
It will be permanent, until we start seeing some movement from him. Craftsmen will be held accountable for their nondelivery and for them not communicating, simple as that.

Permanent, until he gets back to civilization and starts mailing out finished work. I cannot cut him slack if he refuses to communicate. This is really the only last option to be had. I'm sure every moderator on this forum fully supports this action too.

It will be permanent, until we start seeing some movement from him. Craftsmen will be held accountable for their nondelivery and for them not communicating, simple as that.

Absolutely..

It's not the first time for a knifemaker or a craftsman to go sideways on their commitments.
We all get it, life can be challenging at times..but communication goes a long ways towards moving on from a great many of those challenges.
Sad to see things go down this way- He is a talented craftsman for sure..Hope he gets on track for the clients that are hanging.

What you are saying is that if one person has lied to you that would be enough for you to never trust anybody else ever. I am sure at some points in your life you have been lied to by someone at least once. I am pretty sure that you haven't gone through life not trusting anyone else, in fact I would bet that at least one person in you life lied and then apologized and it was forgotten.
Everyone has their price and their breaking point. From what I understand Steve has been on the up and up until now and suddenly he fell apart, this is indicative of something life changing has happened to him.
I by no means am justifying what he has done, to the contrary. I am just tring to say that a person that had been OK for so long and went aerie in such a big fashion has problems that are much bigger than being banned from this forum. I hope you all eventually get satisfaction from Steve but at the moment it seems unlikely.

Just so we are clear your not here as a middle man correct? Look you know what he's saying about the lying but you want to be the Buddha of the gb&u. The provider went black he was giving a large timeframe to make it right. He disappointed a lot of people that over the years promoted his services. None here wanted to see him fail and I'm sure would have loved to see him comeback. But after the point this has gotten to no matter what the out come I would bet the op wouldn't change the thread title.

A simple email, or a mass email with a brief explanation of what is happening is all it would have taken. Contacting one of us privately, is all it would have taken. We aren't asking for an autobiography of what has happened to his life in the last few years, but something is better than complete silence and false promises. As moderators, we've never divulged personal information that someone has shared with us. That is not going to change any time soon. It's not something that we take pleasure in, but we want people here to be safe and not get ripped off or feel that they have been ripped of with no recourse. It's pretty straight forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back