Stolen Blade Annoyance

So the military sent people over to pack up our stuff and move us since we are heading to our neduty station next week.
I always put my blades in our “off limits” stuff so they don’t mess with them. So I see the packers hop in their truck to leave before I can do a walkthrough of the house.
So I run to go check on my knives and two are missing, one a Busse and one a folder that I had gotten my wife for her bday.
I told the driver that it was missing and that he needed to call them. He asked how I knew it was gone and I showed a picture I had taken earlier of it and the exact location and showed him that it was no longer there. Then he said he saw the lady with the other one and she let him use it making him think it was hers
So he called them and they had the audacity to tell him that they would try to bring them back!
How are you going to be hired to come on base and then walk off with stuff from our house!
Sorry rant over, I’m just annoyed and know only fellow knife nerds will understand why it’s so annoying (not to mention the hundreds of dollars in loss).

I feel ya Brother.
It totally sucks.

Imagine being at Blade show and a fellow knife enthusiast steals a new model knife right off of your table.
You go to the show promoter and they do less than nothing about it.
No looking at security tapes
no calling security
just shrug and say that sucks..........classy

Or go to another Blade show and thieves watch you park and go to your room and steal your pelican case worth 7K of knives and sheaths out of the rental car before you get back.
same story at the hotel
no security tapes
no insurance nothing.

I hope you get them back.

I feel ya Brother.
It totally sucks.

Imagine being at Blade show and a fellow knife enthusiast steals a new model knife right off of your table.
You go to the show promoter and they do less than nothing about it.
No looking at security tapes
no calling security
just shrug and say that sucks..........classy

Or go to another Blade show and thieves watch you park and go to your room and steal your pelican case worth 7K of knives and sheaths out of the rental car before you get back.
same story at the hotel
no security tapes
no insurance nothing.

I hope you get them back.
Damn that sucks! I can’t believe they wouldn’t try to help at all. I can’t stand a thief!
Glad I had all my firearms locked up in a huge secure case where there was no way to get to them.
My wife doesn’t get why I’m so mad, but maybe that’s my fault that she doesn’t know how much all these blades really cost

Cant you report them stolen? Then turn a copy of the police report to your base who hired them in the first place? sounds like they need to lose thier contract. At least with a police report your homeowners insurence might cover it.

I'd also let the thieves know if you didnt have them back in 4 hours you'd file the police report and include a copy the recording of them admitting to have taken them.

If they do return them i would still report them to your base.

(I am not in the military, so I dont know the intricacies of military life. I have only worked as a contractor and losing base access would have been very painful for my employer and probably costed my job.)

Cant you report them stolen? Then turn a copy of the police report to your base who hired them in the first place? sounds like they need to lose thier contract. At least with a police report your homeowners insurence might cover it.

I'd also let the thieves know if you didnt have them back in 4 hours you'd file the police report and include a copy the recording of them admitting to have taken them.

If they do return them i would still report them to your base.

(I am not in the military, so I dont know the intricacies of military life. I have only worked as a contractor and losing base access would have been very painful for my employer and probably costed my job.)
They said they were coming back To pack up another house and would bring em back. So I’m going to wait and see if that does happen. We put it on the paperwork with the driver who is overall responsible because he hired them to do the packing, so I’m sure he will hound them about it because I told him that I would report it. Otherwise I’ll file it with transportation and the MPs who will be able to put them on the no access list on base. And for these guys it really does mean their livelihood because all they do is pack up military families on base, so losing access to base is no bueno

Yeah, when I was a contractor my employer made it abundantly clear that any shenanigans on base or a toe out of line could get us banned and it would cost us our jobs.

That's the most Army moving contractor story ever. I don't know where they find those mouth breathers.

That's the most Army moving contractor story ever. I don't know where they find those mouth breathers.
Well I’m sure this driver won’t hire them again since we wrote on the paper that the people he brought for the job took stuff from our home

That’s just wrong on soooo many counts !!!! Hopefully they just bring them back.
Yea I’m gonna give em the chance too, if not I’ll report em and they will be banned from
Base, which if they make money packing mil families, it will hurt em a lot more than the blade is worth

For what it's worth, I had some knives stolen from a hotel room once. After filing a police report with the value and calling the hotel with that information (i.e. a felony grand theft charge instead of a misdemeanor) the knives miraculously turned up. The thieves probably have no idea of the value and might cough them up sooner if they do.

You really have to be careful keeping your knives from prying eyes. Somewhat similar to Dave Brown's story, some years back one of Busse's Security folks left some knives locked up in his Jeep at the Blade Show parking lot. When he returned later he found that thieves had sliced the soft-top and stolen his knives. Lousy thing to happen to a really good guy.

Contact your current Transport Office and they normally have someone who deals with this (though I don’t know if it’s the same name between services). They generally take that sort of thing seriously. We literally locked the room we didn’t want them going into because those companies will take EVERYTHING to bump up your weight. My last PCS they sent a convicted felon (meaning he could not touch or otherwise transport firearms) to pick up my household goods KNOWING that they were picking up two firearms. I was livid. The guns eventually got there and were fine, but I’ll never voluntarily have the government move me. No one cares for your shit like you do and there is no way to replace some things even if your insurance is going to reimburse you for the loss.

Contact your current Transport Office and they normally have someone who deals with this (though I don’t know if it’s the same name between services). They generally take that sort of thing seriously. We literally locked the room we didn’t want them going into because those companies will take EVERYTHING to bump up your weight. My last PCS they sent a convicted felon (meaning he could not touch or otherwise transport firearms) to pick up my household goods KNOWING that they were picking up two firearms. I was livid. The guns eventually got there and were fine, but I’ll never voluntarily have the government move me. No one cares for your shit like you do and there is no way to replace some things even if your insurance is going to reimburse you for the loss.
You’re a brave man, I never let them touch firearms or gear.
But we did the same thing having a corner of the garage taped off saying stay out of this area this is stuff we are taking. It wasn’t one of my super expensive blades like my Gladius or the one of one MOASS, but still

Man that really sucks. I hope that it gets resolved. I agree with the above statements that I would still file a report whether the blades are returned or not.

Garth

So the military sent people over to pack up our stuff and move us since we are heading to our neduty station next week.
I always put my blades in our “off limits” stuff so they don’t mess with them. So I see the packers hop in their truck to leave before I can do a walkthrough of the house.
So I run to go check on my knives and two are missing, one a Busse and one a folder that I had gotten my wife for her bday.
I told the driver that it was missing and that he needed to call them. He asked how I knew it was gone and I showed a picture I had taken earlier of it and the exact location and showed him that it was no longer there. Then he said he saw the lady with the other one and she let him use it making him think it was hers
So he called them and they had the audacity to tell him that they would try to bring them back!
How are you going to be hired to come on base and then walk off with stuff from our house!
Sorry rant over, I’m just annoyed and know only fellow knife nerds will understand why it’s so annoying (not to mention the hundreds of dollars in loss).
not annoying. total bull---- thievery.

You’re a brave man, I never let them touch firearms or gear.
But we did the same thing having a corner of the garage taped off saying stay out of this area this is stuff we are taking. It wasn’t one of my super expensive blades like my Gladius or the one of one MOASS, but still
still your property.

I never let them touch firearms or gear.
Oh man it was painful! I REALLY don’t like people handling my stuff which is why I’ve always moved myself and bribed buddies with pizza and beer for the big stuff. But when you move OCONUS you don’t have a choice to move yourself.

Oh man it was painful! I REALLY don’t like people handling my stuff which is why I’ve always moved myself and bribed buddies with pizza and beer for the big stuff. But when you move OCONUS you don’t have a choice to move yourself.
Yea we PCS’d back from Puerto Rico in 2019 and making our 2nd move since then next week. Luckily for us, we lost most of our stuff in Hurricane Maria so we didn’t have much to move back. But I worry as much about TSA stealing my blades so I put GPS chips with them.
For firearms I bought a huge Pelican Mobile Armory. No one is moving that thing without knowing about it. We have gotten to the point where we only let them move large things and then we rent a couple uhauls and bring all of our valuable stuff with us

Back