Stout backpacking knife

A light ax such as a Hudsons Bay 3/4 bit and a light knife (Mora or equivalent) would be my choice for an extended back woods expedition. Or ditch the ax and take a light folding saw.

I leave no trace when ever possible, but I am not adverse to building a fire especially in places others have already built them. It is sort of the litter discussion thing.... few care about one cig butt, but a million of them would be a problem. Same goes with fires and the left over ash and un-burnt materials. Then one could ask why controlled burning in the woods is a good thing. But I guess it's okay if the "government" does it.

It's a good thing I don't live in highly populated areas you guys do. Not to many people going out where I do. And plenty of dead wood to chop up and burn. There would be no point in me going out so far, if I couldn't make a nice fire at night to relax by. That would defeat the whole purpose of being out relaxing in nature. My opinion.

Well, I guess I don't know where you live but short of someplace up in Alaska or Northern Canada, you are not going more true wilderness in the U.S. than around where I hike. And I certainly see the signs of big chopper/lots of camp fires people on every trail.

What other cutting tools did you take other than "sometimes". What cutting tools did you use, how often, and what for?
Why did you just sometimes take the endura and sak?

On more relaxed trips where I didn't have a set mileage schedule and eventually ended up back at my own vehicle, I would carry a Mora (Clipper or Companion) fixed blade along with the Endura and Cadet. The few times I've made fires, the Mora came in handy. However, on trips where I absolutely had to make a certain number of miles each day to make it to my pick-up point, or if I was just planning on doing some serious mileage for some reason, I'd leave the Mora at home and just go with a lightweight large folder and a small SAK or MT. The main uses were food prep and opening packages (and digging out the occasional splinter). And an Endura and small SAK was all I ever really needed.

But, again, if I'm hiking in and base-camping from a single location, then I don't mind the extra weight of a large fixed blade for shelter and fire crafting.

Just keep in mind open fires are against regulation on much public lands/back country.

I know the rules of the areas I go. There is fire restrictions at certain times. Depending on the rains.

Well, I guess I don't know where you live but short of someplace up in Alaska or Northern Canada, you are not going more true wilderness in the U.S. than around where I hike. And I certainly see the signs of big chopper/lots of camp fires people on every trail.

I'm in New Mexico. There is a lot of land out here, a hell of a lot that has been un explored still. I see traces too. But I seem to be getting a lot of crap about building fire in the mountains, and I find that very funny. I'm much more responsible than most, and I drown and bury every fire I make.

I'm in New Mexico. There is a lot of land out here, a hell of a lot that has been un explored still. I see traces too. But I seem to be getting a lot of crap about building fire in the mountains, and I find that very funny. I'm much more responsible than most, and I drown and bury every fire I make.

Here's the catch; if we completely take you at face value that your fire will never get out of hand you're showing other users that a fire is OK in the area with no guarantee that they won't be careless.

Fire will spread in a mountain or desert and if it's that underpopulated it will be very established when it's noticed.

http://fox13now.com/2016/06/09/campers-evacuated-as-wildfire-burns-hundreds-of-acres-in-juab-county/

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1402457-I-just-heard-bad-news-I-m-real-bummed-(

Here's the catch; if we completely take you at face value that your fire will never get out of hand you're showing other users that a fire is OK in the area with no guarantee that they won't be careless.

Fire will spread in a mountain or desert and if it's that underpopulated it will be very established when it's noticed.

http://fox13now.com/2016/06/09/campers-evacuated-as-wildfire-burns-hundreds-of-acres-in-juab-county/

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1402457-I-just-heard-bad-news-I-m-real-bummed-(

I'm not ignorant, I know what can happen. I'm done with this pointless thread. To all who contributed to useful info, thank you.

Hope it's not too late to give my large knife opinion. Despite what I said earlier about axes and smaller knife combos, I really do like my Dawson knives. They are a southwestern company, which I like, and they hold an edge incredibly well. Challenging to sharpen, but I hardly ever have to do it. Give them a look. There is also a hefty camp knife on the BF exchange right now.

Zieg

I will second the Skrama, here's mine:

The scabbard is a slightly modified SA80 bayonet frog and the kydex scabbard fits it perfectly.

http://fox13now.com/2016/06/09/campers-evacuated-as-wildfire-burns-hundreds-of-acres-in-juab-county/http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1402457-I-just-heard-bad-news-I-m-real-bummed-(
The recent Rocky Mount fire in the SNP burned over 10,000 acres, and it was noticed very quickly.

What other cutting tools did you take other than "sometimes". What cutting tools did you use, how often, and what for?
Why did you just sometimes take the endura and sak?

I will be interested to hear Derek's answer.

I can reflect on my own experiences. On the one hand, I think there are meaningful differences between various approaches to being "out there". I hunt, backcountry (Nordic) ski, backpack, do winter mountaineering, and bike tour (often in remote places). These different activities have different literature to read, different sub-cultures, and different traditions and many times, for very good reasons. Each provides different goals to achieve and different ways to die if you don't pay attention.

But, I think we are stronger, better outdoors men and women when we hungrily embrace other traditions so as to learn as much as possible from them. Knowledge and skills are the most important tools and a bigger tool box is always better.

There's a very sad, almost creepy story richocething through the New England backpacking community. The body of a 60 year old woman was found in Maine up in the 100 mile wilderness area. She was an experienced AT thru hiker who got off trail and couldn't find her way back. It appears that basic orienteering skills could have made the difference. It sounds ridiculous on the surface - that somebody could be so experienced in some aspects of outdoor skills and so lacking in another, but I've seen it before on many occasions. Once, I was with 2 Naval officers both with significant mountaineering chops but who got creeped out when we had to rely on dead reckoning to find a pond in the winter on a ski tour. On another trip, I had 2 thru-hiker wig out when we had to bushwack to deal with a flooded out river.

But this cuts both ways. I think it's just as important for traditional campers, "base campers" and bushcrafters to study and learn modern backpacking techniques. Once one learns these skills, it's much easier to see anything north of a small pocket knife as something that is strictly optional.

For what you are willing to spend, I suggest a Becker BK9 AND and Tweener sized Becker BK 15, 16 or 17.

It boils down to the US is a nation of laws. As time moves forward, more and more common sense practice is thrown out the window. The special interest environmental groups have a big impact on what is written into law.

Im not being mean but I don't think the knives you mention are not in the same league .

Although all three are better then a rock or pointy stick ;)

No offense taken by me. I 'm just offering a differing opinion. I know the items I mentioned are not in these price range of custom and semi-custom knives. That's why I prefaced the selections with their inexpensive cost. The Thread title is stout backpacking knife. I just offered an opinion that if I was backpacking, I would take a lighter stout 4" blade and a saw. I also could see more use in a machete than another larger chopping knife, since I would definitely carry a Silky saw.

Stout not so light
20160609_202334_zpssmxozw2c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

More and more laws to protect people from themselves and to protect the environment from being trashed. All because there are a lot of people who don't think much and it doesn't take much to trash the natural world.

Anyhow, completely agree with pinnah, that there are lots of ways to get yourself dead if you don't ask the basics. Lots of "sports" and "hobbies" to enjoy and most have gained some basic rules and skills to help. A good bit of cross training goes a long way to keep yourself out of trouble and build up some knowledge that might come in useful when things go wrong. No one discipline has it all, no one has the "only" way. Be open minded, ask for advice, and think beyond the box.

I think that if you go for a walk be it hiking, trekking, hunting, or mountaineering then the lighter you travel the better the experience for you can go longer and further for the same energy. However, there are some basics for all of them and those are basic survival skills: water, food, shelter, map reading/compass, warmth, and fire. Nothing difficult there and they don't weigh much.

Lastly, its good to leave the lightest of foot prints as one can. Respect the environment which if there are some rules then try to follow them.

Back