Stupid people can do stupid things.

I just died a little inside... :(

My story: My brother, who knows nothing about knives, decided he'd like to try flipping a balisong. So I handed him a Kimura and told him "Do not open this until I say go." And I began to tell him about which handle is safe to grab... he flips by the bite handle and leave an 3 inch gash in his hand. He had to get stitches, and endure being the butt of jokes about knives since then. I no longer lend my knives to anybody unless they happen to be a knife guy/girl.

I don't let my family members use my knives because I don't really trust them enough because the other day my sibling asked to see my new knife and me being a kind person showed them and for some reasons they thought you push the frame-lock towards the G-10 side of the handle not away and I was quick and took the knife away before it or my sibling got hurt.

I have an uncle from Arkansas that was into making knives back in the 80's. He would send some out to family to kind of 'advertise' his craft. Anyway, it's 1986... friend of mine from high school grabs one of the knives to check it out. Before you know it, flips it up (kind of end over end) to catch it by the handle. (Do you see where this going?) Yep, catches it by the blade. Once he finally stopped the bleeding, I had to "break em" a bit... "Wanna try that again, genius?"

Another one... about 1994 while sailing as mate on one of these OSV mud boats in the Coonass Navy. Chief engineer borrows the Buck 110 that I was carrying then. Returns it about 2 hours later with the edge looking like he tried to cut a cement block. "What did you cut chief?" "I didn't cut anything with it. I scraped all the paint over spray off of the brass tag labels on some valves down below."

First year of college my roommate was loaded, his father got him a Kershaw. He was on his fathers private jet, tried to show off his knife to his sister, cut an apple in his hand and hit the bone.

Maybe I qualify as stupid for handing my wicked edge sharpened para 2 to a friend who knows I always have a knife on me to open a blister pack, he cut the sh*t out of himself. He later said Damn your knives are "stupid sharp". So does that make me guilty? (I actually felt bad for loaning it to him to open that package and he hurting himself) I am very judicious now in loaning my blades.

A friend used my brand new Kershaw Storm II as a screw driver. I found that out when i saw a chip in the tip of the blade and asked what he used it for... Bastard

I had a similar thing happen to me, except it was a cheap knife and at the time I didn't really care nor was I really into edcs.

I have also used a knife as a screw driver but the ones I remember using was a Swiss Army Knife and some random butter knives never any of my EDC or valuable knives.

Sometimes... Sometimes knives are just bloodthirsty... I bought an H&K G3 bayonet for my PTR-91. MOST bayonets are butter knife dull. For whatever reason, this one was not. It had a VERY snug sheath. The first time I drew it, I had to try 2 or 3 times to get it out. When it did slide out of the sheath, it cut my thumb pretty good. I guess I'd repositioned it to get a better grip on the sheath... I put the bayonet away for a few days after cleaning up my thumb. The next time I took it out, I decided to see if it fit my PTR-91. It fit, but it wasn't quite right. The bayonet was crooked. I tried to straighten it and somehow hit the release button. The rifle was pointing straight up and was clamped between my knees. When I accidentally hit the release, the bayonet went straight up about 2 inches and flipped end over end. It stabbed my in the thigh and probably penetrated about 3/8". It bled a LOT and for a LONG time. Since this one blade had drawn blood on my twice, I decided that I needed to thoroughly clean and oil the blade. I had just finished cleaning it and put it down to go and fetch some vaseline. My brother walked by and I guess bumped the handle that was hanging slightly over the edge of the counter... I got the vaseline and was walking past the bayonet to get a paper towel when my arm brushed the tip of the blade. That knife has been in its sheath ever since. I'm convinced it's out to get me.

Picturing you hitting the release and the bayonet coming after you just gave me a great laugh. I have purposely used knives for things they weren't made for when in a pinch, figuring ultimately it is a tool, but some of you guys have some real idiot friends.

kitchen knives are a pet peeve of mine, I cannot even count the number of times I've tried helping people understand proper use and care. I have fairly good knives, mostly Forschner. I always keep them sharp. A couple of things that have driven me crazy though. first, my uncle who IS a knife guy takes them to sharpen for me, manages to round the tip of every single f*#&ing knife!! I was pissed, he subsequently was pissed at my pissedness and doesn't sharpen my knives any more. (I was amazed, since his knives are always fabulously sharp, I think he just used wrong technique on his electric, which he doesn't use any more. interestingly enough I use it now lots for kitchen knives, but technique must be better).

We had a house guest for about 5 months recently, I found one of my kitchen knives in the sink and had my wife explain to her that it's not how we treat my knives etc. Well it happened a couple more times, with my 8" and 10" chef (the 10" my wife knows she is never to use, I keep it super sharp and it is just for me). I was PISSED, I mean Uber pissed, like bury her in the back yard mad. I took the 8&10 and put them in my sock drawer for three months till she moved out. The 6" is a tramontina that is pretty tough and I don't care much about getting messed up.

I had the same as a lot of you, handed a 6" bladed hunting knife freshly sharpened to a buddy who for no explainable reason ran it right across his palm to test the sharpness. Tard.

I've always had an obsession with blades. I have a scar on the back of each hand (1/4" on one hand, shrunken over the years, and 1.5" on the other hand) that not even my mom remembers how I got. I almost took my thumb off at about 5 when I tried opening a folder which closed on said thumb. almost took the tip of left index finger off with a rambo knife when I was about 10 cutting s*#t in my fort and looked away during a chop. lucky the knife wasn't super sharp and my nail was there to slow it down. went right through the nail which grew funny for months before things healed up right.

I stabbed myself in the knuckle saturday. I picked up a knew buck pocket knife at hardware store (found out it was only $10 because it was made in china, but it's a good tiny size which is what I wanted). I had it in the Lansky sharpener sitting on the bench waiting for me to sharpen it. I was cleaning things up and had just put something away in the drawers behind it and my arm was returning to my side when I felt pain, yeah the tip was up and stabbed right into my knuckle. Idiot mistake. nice reminder that even after all my time playing with knives I need to be careful.

Red

Not knife related, but a friend of mine and I were bowhunting. He decided to break around noon and return later that evening. Walking back to his new Range Rover He spotted a doe on the other side. He said, "You are a better shot than me--shoot!"--I quickly declined. He said, "SHOOT!" I declined again. Needless to say it was much farther than He thought. The arrow went fletching deep into his red Range Rover-between the door and front window just above the mirror. I can't believe he laughed about it.

kitchen knives are a pet peeve of mine, I cannot even count the number of times I've tried helping people understand proper use and care.

Some people just don't, can't, or won't get it.

Last month I was on a houseboat retreat with some buddies, and I took the time to sharpen the horrendously abused knives in the knife block. After demonstrating how much better they work when sharp, every single one of the guys looked at me in awe like I had just turned the knives into gold, or something.

I will never understand why people struggle with the dull blade when any old ceramic mug or rock from the yard could help the blade out, even if just a bit.

2 weeks ago today exactly, i was eviscerating a dogfish (shark) over the side of my boat wth my newly 'wicked edge' sharpened filet knife.....i was alone as with most day trips during the last 40 years of fishing in the san juan islands. Looooooong day, 9:30pm and needed to get motoring home (13 miles away), so this was about 'doggie' #20 that i'd caught in the last 4-5 hours and i was innattentive and somewhat hurried. leaning over the side with the filet knife in my strong hand (rt handed), i grabbed the 'doggies' snout with my left hand and proceeded to eviscerate it upwards like so many thousands before him. only this time, with my blade much sharper than i'd ever been accustomed to, well you know where this is going. Slit the entire underside of my left wrist, from one end to the other.........wrist bone completly exposed. helicopter found me 1 1/2 hrs later and then the coasties got to me shortly thereafter.

long story short, after a 25 min. helicopter ride to harborview in seattle, 3 surgeons working 6 hrs. to reattach 12 tendons (3 more than the main surgeon had done in 10 years at this trauma center/hospital) and arteries and other such goodies, i'm not sure that i'll ever have use of my left hand again. the first 'coastie' to reach me didn't see me 'cuz i was down a bit in my cuddy cabin and when he saw the deck of my boat, he said, "well boys, this isn't gonna be a rescue, it's gonna be a recovery".

i spoke up with what voice i had left and said, "sorry to dissapoint, but i'm still with ya". 3 heads popped around the corner and their eyes were as big as saucers. i bled from 9:30pm until about 11pm, which was no more than 5 minutes before they located me. and yes..........i hit an artery that was squirtin' blood some 2 feet from where i was kneeling between my deck seats. my deck was totally covered in blood, my cuddy cushions were almost as bad. they stripped off my pants and shoes as they were super saturated and i've never seen them since (good riddance). the head coastie/medic said later to my wife that he had never in 25 years seen that much blood lost where the guy was alive, much less coherent. trust me......i had just reached the point like in so many movies where the "i need to call my family" line became very real and "i could give a chit about anything" attitude also kicked in right when they found me. after 'nam ('69-'71), being retired after 28 years as a LEO, i kind of knew and felt what was coming and there was no way of changing my destiny at that point. truth be told, when the chopper light hit my deck from likely some 40 yards above me, i wasn't 100% sure what bright light i was looking at......LOL. i wasn't sure that i wanted to really acknowledge that billion power candleight...LOL.

fellas...............always be careful, no matter how experienced you might be. i know no one that has spent either more time afield or on the water than myself and have always prided myself on being safe and prudent.........not so much now as i type this story one handed (btw - sorry for both the mispelling and punctuation as i'm usually a fairly easy read, but for now........not so much).

lots of physical therapy ahead and i'm gonna recover.......likely not 100%, but i'll make my left hand useful enough to get me through what years i've got left. what other choice does one have..........that makes any sense, anyway.

the next doggie i catch won't make it to within 15 feet of my boat 'cuz, given safe conditions......i'm gonna shoot his azz.......LOL

stupid..........you bet. i can own that designation as in this instance it certainly fits. i notice that most of the stories in this thread so far are a bit more humorous than mine. i offer my experience as a heads-up for those thinking that experience and/or 'time-in' somehow affords us less opportunities to screw up. Well.......yes and no. only if we stay vigilant at all times.

take care fellow members.

Last edited:
my brother in law made two large machetes out of stainless and he let his friend have a look at them....... he took one in each hand and started hitting the blades into each other!....

i let my boss use my leatherman wave to cut a piece of plastic but i didn't know he would do it on the top of a concrete kerb!!!! it was to late- the damage was done... i acted pissed of but i was quietly happy with the prospect of putting another razor edge on it again.. i love sharpening.. oh and another time he asked to use it to cut and orange and i sat there watching him trying to cut it with the spine of the blade!!!! it was priceless!!!! figuring out how to close it was completely out of the question for him!!! hahaha

I have never had the fun of seeing someone try to cut with the spine of a blade but I may one day. But something I have seen is someone who cuts themselves every time they play with my Spyderco Police because, when they close the blade the way their hand is one the blade makes it when the blade falls to close the edge hits his knuckles not the unhardened part of the blade.

a friend of mine tried to baton my CSK with my BK-2. I had to pay $35 dollars to fix the CSK :mad: but the BK-2 only had little dents on the spine that I filed right out.

a friend of mine tried to baton my CSK with my BK-2. I had to pay $35 dollars to fix the CSK :mad: but the BK-2 only had little dents on the spine that I filed right out.

Your friend batoned with one of your knives with another one? That is just as bad a my friend stabbing my G-10 with another knife.

Picturing you hitting the release and the bayonet coming after you just gave me a great laugh. I have purposely used knives for things they weren't made for when in a pinch, figuring ultimately it is a tool, but some of you guys have some real idiot friends.

Red

Yeah, it's funny NOW... At the time I was mostly happy that I didn't castrate myself and desperately trying to stop the bleeding. I penetrated about 3/8" into my thigh when it hit me. That knife has drawn blood from me so many times that I am hesitant to go near it.

My latest stupid was done while my girlfriend was watching. She complained about her kitchen knife being dull while chopping some vegetables. I grabbed one of my diamond bench stones and held it in my hand to sharpen her knife. I had done this probably hundreds of times in my life... USUALLY, I remember to keep my thumb below the level of the diamond surface. Not so this time. I didn't hit bone or anything, but I made a nasty slice across my thumb. My girlfriend was upset that I continued sharpening the knife after I cut myself. What good is a half sharpened knife? LOL

Sam

HA!!! That made me laugh, the pic of course.:thumbup:
Implied-Facepalm.jpg

You've got to be kidding me.

This is more entertaining then 90% of the crap on tv.
I'm tempted to put my BK2 on a key chain and setting it down on the check out counter while I look through my wallet.I have a Fry's and Petco/Petsmart ect. card,it would be funny to see the reactions.
This would put ME in the stupid people category,but funny as hell.

Back