1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Summer Sale

Discussion in 'Cold Steel Knives' started by AF, May 25, 2019.

1. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    I literally just broke another swift lockbar spring last night. But it’s the older version without the safety lock, which supposedly has better heat treated liner.

AF and DocJD like this.
  2. Blue Sky

Blue Sky Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 16, 2002
    Another one? Well that doesn’t sound good. Were they all the older style I hope?

3. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    Older style without secondary lock. This is my 3rd one. With enough cycles all of them will break eventually, and it doesn’t take long. But I’ve yet to have any of the newer version broken before, but I haven’t been carrying it enough.

4. Blue Sky

Jun 16, 2002
    When the spring breaks, does it operate like a typical tri-ad would, or is it non-functional?

5. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    This video review shows the Swift's guts . Not very confidence inspiring .

nephron and Blue Sky like this.
  6. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    It’s not the assisted spring that breaks, those are robust, it’s the lockbar spring that broke. Once it’s broken, the knife no longer locks. So it basically becomes a slip joint.

DocJD and Blue Sky like this.
  7. Blue Sky

Jun 16, 2002
    Ah, of course! I can see it now, but for some reason I had the idea it was the assist spring that was breaking. As much as I like the design of the Swift, and I really do, that is a deal breaker.

Thanks very much for the info. :thumbsup:

insta9ves likes this.
  8. mwhich50

mwhich50 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Since the resale value on the Swift will be crap, I guess I am going to put this into my EDC rotation, when it finally arrives. I usually try to take it easy on $120+ folders. Hopefully the problems have been resolved.

9. AF

AF Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2000
    I really like the scales on the Swift. Very comfortable.

10. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    Swift could have been the best knife cold steel never made. They just need to come up with a manual version using the normal spring.

mdrgn79 and ScottieG59 like this.
  11. Blue Sky

Jun 16, 2002
    ^^This times ten

mdrgn79 likes this.
  12. jlauffer

jlauffer Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Got the Golden Eyes i ordered. Lot thinner than I thought...almost too thin. But I love the handle texture...very grippy without being too aggressive (pocket shredder).

jbmonkey and jux t like this.
  13. mwhich50

Jan 18, 2011
    Got my Goldeneye, and swift today.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  14. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    Anybody know if the Swift 2 , ordered from Special Projects Summer Sale is the 2016 model with the safety or the older original ? :confused:

:) I'm real tempted, if I could be sure of receiving the upgraded model for ~$77 , with free shipping . :cool::thumbsup:

15. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    Does your Swift have the safety , 2016 model ?

16. AF

AF Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2000
    DocJD likes this.
  17. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
  18. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    I bought a swift satin finish from the summer sales, it’s new model with safety. It’s also in xhp

DocJD and jux t like this.
  19. PeaceInOurTime

PeaceInOurTime

Mar 20, 2019
    Received these over the weekend: Bushman 2nd and Hold Out 1.
    [​IMG]

As far as I can tell, the Bushman has a very slight bend in the blade. You have to look really hard to see it.

20. mwhich50

Jan 18, 2011
    Yes. I don't mind the switch. It is a good switch, as far as switches go. IMO, when closing the blade, it doesn't really 'feel' all the way in the handle, like a Sog Flash, or some autos.

DocJD likes this.