1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Super polished edges

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by razor-edge-knives, Feb 23, 2015.

1. NORTHWEST_KNIFE_GUY

NORTHWEST_KNIFE_GUY KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 14, 2017

Night Rider and halden.doerge like this.
  2. sickpuppy1

sickpuppy1 Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 27, 2018
    Do you guys have a dps you use as a standard or is it knife dependent? Thinking mostly of the 940 and Spyderco's in the last few pages.. OH, and the Esee.

3. halden.doerge

halden.doerge I'll Sharpen Your Knife Gold Member

Aug 17, 2014
    Definitely depends. Often it'll even change within the same model, depending on variations in how the individual example of the knife is ground, or what it's intended use is for. I've had some 940s that took an extremely skinny 15 degree per side bevel, and others that would have had a super wide bevel if I'd gone below 18.

I'd say as a rule I tend to almost always keep it under 20 degrees per side, and rarely below 15. My most common geometry is probably 17-18 degrees per side, but it's always dependent on the specific knife or customer needs, and also it depends on how much reprofiling I feel like doing on a given day as well.

Night Rider likes this.
  4. halden.doerge

Aug 17, 2014
    You gotta love it when you can really get all the way down to the heel of the edge on a Spyderco. :D

NORTHWEST_KNIFE_GUY likes this.
  5. NORTHWEST_KNIFE_GUY

NORTHWEST_KNIFE_GUY KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 14, 2017
    You even seen the post on here for modifying the wicked edge paddles? I did it on some of my old paddles and worked quite well.

6. NORTHWEST_KNIFE_GUY

Jul 14, 2017
    Only on my kitchen knives. EDC's I normally try to match what's on there, on the last one I went quite a bit lower on the bevel then I normally do.

7. halden.doerge

Aug 17, 2014
    I have, and I really ought to get around to doing the same to mine.

8. Scrim

Scrim Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 26, 2014
    After some time off from sharpening I decided to dive back in and work on a megalodon's teeth. :cool: megalodon mirror.jpg

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  9. OhioApexing

OhioApexing Sharpener Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 17, 2018
  10. halden.doerge

Aug 17, 2014
    Had a bit of fun doing a re-tip and sharpen job. Re-tipped it freehand, using diamond stones to remove material from the spine to bring the point back, which I tend to prefer when dealing with rounded off or snapped tips.

Before:

[​IMG]

And after:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. sickpuppy1

Sep 27, 2018
    I'm gettin there.....
    [​IMG]

12. Edgy 1

Edgy 1

Jun 2, 2019
    I have and really like the Shapton Pro stones for mirror polishing and each grade puts the polish clearer and brighter from 5K>8K>12K. Green strop compound actually takes the polish down from the 12k, which is a perfectly clear mirror finish.

I stopped going for mirror on most knifes but if the freehand work leaves a less than perfect bevel or micro bevels, I’ll use them to really clean up any flaws.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  13. Night Rider

Night Rider Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 16, 2018
    Nice! What are you using to get their Strops,Stones, or lapping films?

14. sickpuppy1

Sep 27, 2018
    Actually that was done with a Hapstone M2 and the 5 piece sic stones from Gritomatic. I did strop with green compound, .5 Venev diamond paste and a plain kangaroo strop. I know the area by the choil is buggered or Lansky’d , whichever you prefer, lol
    Next one should be cleaner as I’m gonna use the diamond matrix stones I got on a loaner deal.

Night Rider likes this.
  15. sickpuppy1

Sep 27, 2018
    That particular knife is a $20 D2 efengrew amazon special I got quite some time ago. Took it to 17 degrees and it chipped all to hell and back so that was how it turned out at 20 dps

Night Rider likes this.
  16. cbwx34

cbwx34

Dec 27, 2004
    Not a big "polisher" anymore, but thought the finish (and edge) from a 2µ (6K) Nanohone was pretty decent...

[​IMG]

:)

17. NORTHWEST_KNIFE_GUY

Jul 14, 2017
  18. sickpuppy1

Sep 27, 2018
    Looks real purty! what kind of angle is that? Looks fairly steep.

19. NORTHWEST_KNIFE_GUY

Jul 14, 2017
    Thanks, it's on the 21 degree/yellow mark on the edge pro however without taking the angle cube to it not 100%. I basically tried to match the factory bevel.

Night Rider likes this.
  20. T.L.E. Sharp

T.L.E. Sharp I support the 3rd amendment! Platinum Member

Jun 30, 2016
    [​IMG]

Scrim, willc, WalterEgo and 4 others like this.