1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Super polished edges

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by razor-edge-knives, Feb 23, 2015.

1. razor-edge-knives

razor-edge-knives KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 3, 2011
    I've seen some amazing work here on Bladeforums but haven't seen it consolidated or anything, so I'm starting this thread :thumbup: so post up photos/videos of your edges! Freehand or jig system like the Edge Pro or WEPS.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  2. ricklee4570

ricklee4570

Aug 12, 2010
    Thanks for posting the video!

3. Favorite Blade

Favorite Blade

Feb 1, 2015
    [​IMG]

I should have cleaned the blade before I took my his picture. It is just my work edc though and has some adhesive on it. No big deal.

4. razor-edge-knives

razor-edge-knives KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 3, 2011

You're welcome! Hope it helps =)

Here is one for a customer right here on BF ;) re-profiled to 15 dps and mirrored up through 10k choseras w/ various strops (14um-1um)

[​IMG]

Scrim and Rick Otts like this.
  5. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    I love to see a knife that's well used... great job!

6. Sadden

Sadden

Dec 19, 2011
    S90V Spyderco/Phil Wilson Southfork
    [​IMG]

Customers Spyderco Yojimbo 2
    [​IMG]

Maestro Wu BombShell Folder
    [​IMG]

Scrim likes this.
  7. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    Sweet man! Those edges look awesome!!! What did you finish those on?

8. Sadden

Sadden

Dec 19, 2011
    Progression went as follows
    Atoma Plates 140 , 400 , 600 , 1200
    Shapton Pro Stones 220 , 1k , 1500 , 2k
    Shapton Pro Stones enhanced with CBN 5k , 8k , 15k , 30k
    Stropped with Nanocloth and Polycrystalline Diamond , 0.25u and 0.1u

Or something similar anyways. I may swap out for a Nubatama stone from time to time , or on simpler steels omit the CBN and Atoma Plates. Its always slighty different. Sometimes even adding 0.05u , 0.025u and 0.015u Poly Diamond

Ben Dover and El Bandit0 like this.
  9. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    Amazing... phenomenal work my friend! I am waiting on the 15k shapton pro stone currently but can't afford the 30k yet. Not sure how practical the 30k is, do you find that it makes much of a difference?

10. Sadden

Sadden

Dec 19, 2011
    Everything has to be perfect going into the 30k. It is definitely noticeably sharper than the 8k/15k. But it is a significant investment in time to get there. As everything at every stone has to be perfect. Leave behind a few diamond scratches and you have to go alllllll the way back to 220 and start over. Because you definitely notice them when cutting things , and see them in the finish.

11. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    Oh trust me, i know how it is to get all the way up to your highest stone only to realize you have deep scratches that you failed to get out lol. i have spend more hours than i care to think about doing stuff like that! Thanks for the feedback!

12. rutcrazed

rutcrazed

Feb 8, 2013
    Nice job there Josh. Thanks for sharing.

13. Clanton

Clanton Cookie Monster

Aug 12, 2013
    ZT0600 to 6000 edgepro tapes.
    [​IMG]

Scrim and halden.doerge like this.
  14. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    Nice man! beautiful edge! What angle is that set at?

15. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    Here's another might as well go ahead and post ;)

[​IMG]

Scrim likes this.
  16. Clanton

Clanton Cookie Monster

Aug 12, 2013
    Thanks man! 20 just under the yellow dot on the EdgePro.

17. Favorite Blade

Favorite Blade

Feb 1, 2015
    [​IMG]

Scrim likes this.
  18. Panotaker

Panotaker

Feb 14, 2015
    I sharpened both of these on my KME with the diamond stones. I then taped up some 600 grit wet and dry sandpaper to one of the stones. This got rid of most of the scratches left by the diamond stones. I then taped up some 1000 grit sand paper to one of the stones and got a nice dull mirror edge. Then a few strokes of the Stropman strop to make them nice and shiny!
    [​IMG]

19. Hertz33

Hertz33

Jul 18, 2012
    First try on Lansky. Reprofiled at 20°. And finished with 2000 grit sapphire stone. Not stopped since the compound is still in the mail.

[​IMG]

Scrim and clovehitch like this.
  20. Cynic2701

Cynic2701

Mar 31, 2009
    CTS-XHP Military with bevels set with an Atoma 140 on an EP, then refined on waterstones up to the Naniwa Junpaku 8k and finished on a 0.5 diamond loaded strop.

[​IMG]

Scrim and Ben Dover like this.