Suprised at what they are carrying

So I had a chance to meet up with some of my knife collecting/swapping buddies yesterday. Usually we pull out what we are toting and complain and compliment, and listen to what's going on in the local knife market, mainly flea markets. I was surprised by several things, first was the fact that a diehard case lover had replaced his beloved trapper with a bear & son trapper and he said he was very satisfied. Apparently bear & son is getting quite the following here in the old south as I was informed that several hardware stores dropped case and carry them exclusively! I'm guessing due to the price point? The second thing that shocked me was one of the guys said he sells/trades more rough riders and steel warriors(china) than American made knives! His explanation was that folks aren't putting out the money on vintage USA knives like they were two years ago and newer case knives are being looked over the third thing, I personally find offensive, is younger people are just not into knives like they used to be!! I figured around here where hunting and fishing, farm work, and general redneck paradise prevails every kid would need a knife!! I asked how this whole coronavirus had effected the market and was informed, "It aint!". So I'm wondering, how's the knife market where you live?

Farm/Ranch kids in my area still carry pocket knives...
Mostly big obnoxious modern knives that they can flip out quickly, usually way over-sized for the task at hand.

I think Case did themselves a disservice when they allowed a bunch of junk to enter the market. Even though they are improving, the bad taste it left still lingers. People would rather gamble on a $15 knife than a $50 knife. I think we all saw this coming, didn't we? I think people still want a quality USA made knife and are willing to pay for it. Just look what is happening with GEC at the moment; Knives selling out in minutes and secondary prices going insane. So you have Rough Ryder or Bear producing decent cheap knives and GEC producing quality expensive knives. Case is stuck in the middle and will have to reduce prices or step up quality to compete. Lastly, GEC and Rough Ryder keep offering something new, while Case still produces the same 'ol stuff year after year. I love Case knives and don't want to see them disappear, you listening Case?

I can't speak to an uptick in more of a following for Bear & Son where i am, but i have heard from vendors at gunshows. Many venders tables consist of offshore, inexpensive, and low quality knives, reason being thats what the average person wants. Cheap, semi-sharp, no big deal if i lose it, cutting utencils. It seems its more that younger generations (including mine) just dont appreciate a quality knife, which with proper care will last a lifetime, and opt for the cheap knife.
Edit to add I have handled and own some great offshore knives

No idea what the "local" (with-in 50 miles give or take) big box stores (Target, Kmart (if still open) and Walmart) and nation wide sporting goods like Sportsman's Warehouse, or regional sporting goods like Big 5, are doing.
The local ("only" about 5 miles from where I live) ACE Hardware doesn't really stock any knives but a couple off brand/no name mystery steel modern's that I wouldn't give two cents for.
No proper knife shops that I know of, between here and Boise or Pocatello. (I'm about 1/2 way between both.)

Thanks to the Governor's lock-down of Assisted Living facilities because of the Covid-19 pan(ic)dema, I have to do all my shopping online.
(the facility owner will get my tubes of rock gut Seneca chew, generic Mtn. Dew sodas, and chips when she goes to the store each week, if I give her the funds, or arrange to have the cost added to next month's rent.)

I don't see the lock-down ending anytime soon. From what I've heard, it won't be lifted until at least September 01, 2021. :(
If I leave the property for other than a medical appointment, or medical emergency requiring the hospital, I get quarantined two weeks plus how ever long it takes for the Covid-19 test results to come in. No thankee, very much.

So much for putting a "few" thousand miles on my 2017 Miami Sun (Adult/Old Thing's) traditional trike this year, and next year. :(

Disgusting. If not for the 2800 miles I put on it the three months immediately after I bought it, it would still have under 3,000 miles on it after 3 full years, as of next week. I should have at least 15,000 miles on it by now. :( No wonder my knees and hips are getting worse. :(

If Bear and Sons is cheaper than Case, more made-in-America sentimentalists can afford them, so the hardware stores will sell more of them.
Most people don't carry a knife, most who do carry a knife carry something less traditional, most who want something more traditional have to count their pennies. My cousin the accountant has been saying for years that people don't have much discretionary income.
My best survivnig hardware store has Case, Victorinox, and Chinese Schrade.

Around here I see loads of Buck 110's on people's hips, and all the Mexicans like to have fancy belt sheaths done up for 'em. I think some old guy at a nearby flea market makes them but I've never asked.

Other than that most people I know personally gas station specials, and I know the hardware does steady sales on the yellow delrin Case trapper.

Lastly, GEC and Rough Ryder keep offering something new, while Case still produces the same 'ol stuff year after year. I
Presuming Case hasn't dropped production and "put the pattern in the vault".

I just checked the Case website.
Apparently after a small run of them last year, Case has put the Barlow "back in the vault".
A search for "Barlow" on their site has four results under products.
All single blade Barlows, three are "out of stock"
When was the last tine a Barlow was a regular production knife/pattern at Case? 1974 when they "put it in the vault"? None were produced between then and 2019In tbe mean time, Böker, Rough Rider, Marbles, COLT, Bear and Son, even SZCO and SARGE produce the Barlow, with Rough Rider and Marbles, at least (I don't know about the others) offering several different handle/cover materials.
Sorry, but if Case is going to wait another ... what? 45 years before making another? I'll buy a Barlow from someone else, who hasn't forgotten that historically, the patern was an inexpensive work knife. Not an expensive "premium" pattern.
$70 (price on Case website) for a Barlow? Thanks but no thanks.
I can get a servicable Rough Rider, SZCO, or Sarge Barlow for under $10. The Marbles might come in a hair over $10, depending on the cover material.
If Case waits another 45 years before "pulling the Barlow from the vault", I'll be long dead before then.
People claim "Case makes a lot of patterns and has a wide variety of cover choices." Sorry. Rough Rider has more of both, (and no garish covers), and never puts a popular pattern "in the vault" or whatever for some decades distant production, to drive up demand, or whatever Case's game plan/"reasoning" is.
How many potential Case Barlow buyers died between putting it in the vault in 1974, and the run made in 2019?
I don't know the precise number, any more than the next guy, but I bet it's "a lot".

If Case wants to chase after the "collector" market and abandon their core market (working men and women) , that's on them.
There are plenty of low cost high quality knives on the market to choose from.

Y'all want a Case knife? Have at it. :) Just remember, like GEC if the model/pattern you want sold out before you can get your order in?
It weren't me that beat you to checkout.

Last edited:
afishhunter afishhunter , I’m pretty sure the Case Barlow went into the vault in 2009 not 1974. I know the sawcut delrin models were available in 1979 because I had one.

afishhunter afishhunter , I’m pretty sure the Case Barlow went into the vault in 2009 not 1974. I know the sawcut delrin models were available in 1979 because I had one.
Nice to know. :)
I read a report somewhere the Barlow, 3031SH, and a couple others were dropped circa 1974/1975, and were "put in the vault".
I'll never understand putting popular patterns "in the vault", but since I'm not in charge of, or responsible for anything at Case/Zippo, I suppose I don't have to understand it.
I just hope Case doesn't go the way of Schrade, et-al, Utica (still making knives, but no traditional slipjoints) NYKC, Colonial (allegedly still making a few knives in their own plant, somewhere in the USA; however "no one" save a few upper management at Colonial, knows where the plant is. Steve Palintino (sp?) and his staff (down to and including the junior/newest hire custodian at the plant) ain't talking.
From all I've heard, their Providence, RI address is a office complex with zero manufacturing capability.) Queen, CSC, and so many others, cutlery and otherwise, since the 1930's that only exist in name today.

Here in upstate South Carolina we have an abundance of knife dealers, predominately case knives. I have only seen a few GEC knives in person and that was in the hands of collectors, never seen anyone that was actually a distributor. Alot of the older generation came out of the cotton mills and seemed to all have schrade. Now I think Walmart, academy sports, and cables are where most people get their knives. Very few "old time" hardware stores left here, mostly ace and tractor supply. I did see a great collection of Queen knives in a hardware store going out of business and I tried to buy them but someone had beaten me to it.

Afishhunter, I can see the "zippo" influence in case, they both are aimed more at mainstream collecting. Both their lighters and knives are more than basically functional, but I think they really are aimed more for collecting besides their basic models. As for some of the mysterious knife companies that are supposedly being made here...I heard a rumor that they are actually made in China and shipped here with a china sticker on the blade that's removed before going out the door. I guess its like the bullfrog brand?

Nice to know. :)
I read a report somewhere the Barlow, 3031SH, and a couple others were dropped circa 1974/1975, and were "put in the vault".
I'll never understand putting popular patterns "in the vault", but since I'm not in charge of, or responsible for anything at Case/Zippo, I suppose I don't have to understand it.
I just hope Case doesn't go the way of Schrade, et-al, Utica (still making knives, but no traditional slipjoints) NYKC, Colonial (allegedly still making a few knives in their own plant, somewhere in the USA; however "no one" save a few upper management at Colonial, knows where the plant is. Steve Palintino (sp?) and his staff (down to and including the junior/newest hire custodian at the plant) ain't talking.
From all I've heard, their Providence, RI address is a office complex with zero manufacturing capability.) Queen, CSC, and so many others, cutlery and otherwise, since the 1930's that only exist in name today.

I really want to see Case stay in business too so I try to buy one new Case knife every year. They cost a little more than some of the other options so I just save up my pennies. Doing that I get 1 or 2 nice knives every year.

I do not have too much exposure to the younger people anymore but my Grandsons and Nephews all decide that they would like to have a GEC Traditional after they handle any of mine . Some of them were carrying moderns .
I myself buy mostly GECs but I also buy a few Case every year . IMO Case is making knives in such gaudy color schemes that they mostly turn me off . Now and then they do make some nice looking ones though . I have bought 3 of the Chinese stuff just to see how good they were and one had some pretty nice Bone Stag .
The few hardware stores that I have seen have mostly Chinese stuff and moderns but one does have Case plus Chinese stuff and moderns .

Harry

Last edited:
Whatever Wally World or the local sporting goods store carries. Mostly modern Kershaws & Bucks. In terms of traditional knives - Buck 110s, new import Schrades, and some Case.

None of my friends are knife nuts. My hunting buddies all carry Buck knives, most of the people I know dont carry knives and a few carry wal mart range Kershaws. My son Carrie's (when he does) a 501.
As for me I have enough knives so I don't *need any more, and since I dont need to buy a knife I only buy Case, Buck or Benchmade. I tried a rough rider and I like it, but I'm conflicted about it. I think going forward I'm just going to buy American, I just can't stand the thought of supporting the CCP.

None of my friends are knife nuts. My hunting buddies all carry Buck knives, most of the people I know dont carry knives and a few carry wal mart range Kershaws. My son Carrie's (when he does) a 501.
As for me I have enough knives so I don't *need any more, and since I dont need to buy a knife I only buy Case, Buck or Benchmade. I tried a rough rider and I like it, but I'm conflicted about it. I think going forward I'm just going to buy American, I just can't stand the thought of supporting the CCP.
I'm actually carrying a frost razor trapper at the moment. I'm guessing its Japanese I'm not sure because there's no markings besides frost cutlery and stainless steel. I found it in the late 80s to early 90s at the lake. The fit and finish is top shelf and it takes a heck of an edge and holds it. I put it in my pocket because of sentimental reasons but like you I feel so conflicted without a usa knife in my pocket. The frost is more than capable of doing what any of my other American knives can do. I was actually offered a case trapper for it a few days ago but again, its sentimental so I'll keep it. It does get oohs and awes when I show it off! I actually picked up a rough rider whittler this evening to check it out. I can't knock it!! I'm legally blind, can't see more than a few feet and even that is sketchy, but holding the RR I could have sworn it was a case or other top shelf American brand! Very nice tool so I can understand their popularity. I don't know how it would hold up to hard use but I imagine it could do anything short of going into a combat zone. But even though it looks beautiful and appears to be flawless, I can't imagine it being my lifelong pocket companion. Now my stag case canoe holds that distinction, but I'm always open to different knives. The RR was $8 out the door, my case stag canoe was $85 if I remember right.

I'm actually carrying a frost razor trapper at the moment. I'm guessing its Japanese I'm not sure because there's no markings besides frost cutlery and stainless steel. I found it in the late 80s to early 90s at the lake. The fit and finish is top shelf and it takes a heck of an edge and holds it. I put it in my pocket because of sentimental reasons but like you I feel so conflicted without a usa knife in my pocket. The frost is more than capable of doing what any of my other American knives can do. I was actually offered a case trapper for it a few days ago but again, its sentimental so I'll keep it. It does get oohs and awes when I show it off! I actually picked up a rough rider whittler this evening to check it out. I can't knock it!! I'm legally blind, can't see more than a few feet and even that is sketchy, but holding the RR I could have sworn it was a case or other top shelf American brand! Very nice tool so I can understand their popularity. I don't know how it would hold up to hard use but I imagine it could do anything short of going into a combat zone. But even though it looks beautiful and appears to be flawless, I can't imagine it being my lifelong pocket companion. Now my stag case canoe holds that distinction, but I'm always open to different knives. The RR was $8 out the door, my case stag canoe was $85 if I remember right.
Well said.
I agree about the sentimental aspect too.

Back