Surefire vs. Fenix

josh k we are not going to win,they are several here that insist fenix is top notch,the new surefire lineup is as bright as any fenix on the market,i don't dig strobe lights they went out in the disco days,surefire warranty is top notch american made,fenix is CCC but some are bright..............

How fast can you switch modes? On the TK40 it took a good 10-15 seconds to cycle up to the highest mode. I realize I'm being picky over small things but past two modes and I kind get the feeling that it's just another thing on the feature list.

really fast i just have to turn the bezel.

For me, in addition to quality, it's also a matter of rejecting (where practically possible) the pathologic obsession for cheap labor.

Both companies make well made products, I own a single AA Fenix LED that makes an excellent EDC light that fits nicely into a pocket. I also own multiple Surefire lights and trust them to do the job when the CR123 powered tool is a better option such as cold or battery shelf life issues are concerned. Though I do stay away from China made as much as possible, the quality of Fenix is hard to beat for the price. So....I believe depending on the intended use, you can't go wrong with either choice.

Stop the press!

Probably should have been mentioned, but the incandescent Surefire lights have runtimes in the toilet. They are measured in minutes. The bulbs also only last about 20-30 hours at the most. Incandescent Surefires are bright, but definitely not something you should pickup unless you're in a position where you can go through batteries like stool softeners.

Yeah, I am aware of that. The good thing is that the flashlight I'm getting comes with a box of 12 batteries 2 bulbs, and two filters one red and the other blue. I'm trading my CQC-11 for the whole lot.

I specifically bought my Fenix P3D for its 215 Lumen output and strobe function, they're the only settings I use.

Its such a slim, small, neat (non military/'tac' appearance) light too, I'm seriously impressed, and I don't impress easily when it comes to gear.

As for the 'If its made in China, its junk!' argument, that's simply laughable!

The companies in China producing excellent products which incorporate good design, materials, build quality and reliability should not be tarred by the same brush one would apply to shoddy knock off outfits!

I believe that its fair to say that Fenix have earned their reputation for good, high performance, multi-role lights which are affordable and reliable.

Here in the UK, Surefire lights are ridiculously expensive and in comparison, do not perform as well as the Fenix for my chosen application.

But, hey, personal gear is such an evocative subject, this is just my
twocents.gif

Yeah, I am aware of that. The good thing is that the flashlight I'm getting comes with a box of 12 batteries 2 bulbs, and two filters one red and the other blue. I'm trading my CQC-11 for the whole lot.

I just wanted to be sure you did know. :eek:

Which one of these two light brands is overall better excluding prices? I'm leaning towards a Surefire ED2 Executive, or a Fenix P3D.

At the risk of pissing off everyone here, i say NONE OF THE ABOVE. In 1993 i had my first Surefire. After Surefire #23 (up to $400. each) I started investigating how lumens are counted and who is doing the counting. It progressed from there to the power sources (batteries), windows and coatings, LED manufacturer (only do LED ),
features, metals and finishes; circuit boards, fit and assembly techniques, and finally accessories & price. My suggestion for a current torch that will "light up your life" is the TIABLO A9 with ALL the accessories; and my choice of dealers from whom to buy is the FLASHLIGHT CONNECTION (no involvement - not paid / disclaimer) "JAY".
So there you are....light years ahead....

At the risk of pissing off everyone here, i say NONE OF THE ABOVE. In 1993 i had my first Surefire. After Surefire #23 (up to $400. each) I started investigating how lumens are counted and who is doing the counting. It progressed from there to the power sources (batteries), windows and coatings, LED manufacturer (only do LED ),
features, metals and finishes; circuit boards, fit and assembly techniques, and finally accessories & price.
My suggestion for a current torch that will "light up your life" is the TIABLO A9 with ALL the accessories; and my choice of dealers from whom to buy is the FLASHLIGHT CONNECTION (no involvement - not paid / disclaimer) "JAY".
So there you are....light years ahead....

What conclusions did you draw from these investigations? :confused:

Fenix and/or Hellfighter all the way!

Fenix TA21
Fenix TK40
Hellfighter HX15
Hellfighter HX21

Are my personal prefered.

I should start by saying that to the best of my knowledge I have never even held a Fenix flashlight in my hand. I own several Surefires and they are definitely of high quality. That they are made in the U.S.A makes them more expensive. YOU will pay for the higher labor costs as well as for what I believe is the superior QC. My first higher end light was a Streamlight Scorpion. I thought it was great until I bought a few Surefires. I don't know nearly as much about these gizmos as many here but my favorite lights are the polymer LED Surefire lights. The metal cases are just not as comfortable in my hand. And with all the available pieces and parts and drop-ins and batteries and tailcaps, etc. I am fairly certain that I could build my perfect edc light from a Surefire G2 or G3 or LED versions of such. There are many brands and alternatives that I am not familiar with but this is my $0.02. -DT

Fenix and Nitecore > Surefire

Nitecore EX10 140 Lumen for $60 or the Surefire T1A 70 Lumen for $240 hmmmm.....

Not saying Surefires arent high quality etc. Just saying for the price and output Fenix and Nitecore cant be beat.

Nitecore EX10 140 Lumen for $60 or the Surefire T1A 70 Lumen for $240 hmmmm.....

Not saying Surefires arent high quality etc. Just saying for the price and output Fenix and Nitecore cant be beat.

I don't know anything about Nitecore. I have never seen anything in the Fenix line that looks even remotely similar to the G2. Do they make anything that's not metal? Also many of them have unusual shapes just like a lot of the Surefire models have unusual shapes. Not something that appeals to me. But that's just me. Many of the metal lights I see look like they would scratch the hell out of things like my sunglasses, cellphone, iPod, etc. If I were to throw them in the console of my car.

You do know that the T1A is one of the most expensive LED models right? 80 lumens in a G2L for about $60.

Going only on price and lumen output is like saying you want the biggest hunk of metal you can call a knife for the lowest amount of money.

Sorry, not to hi-jack the OP's thread can anyone tell me why it seems like 99% of all higher end lights have the texture of a metal file. And what of the many unusual shapes like a lot of the Surefires? I know about the defense type bezels but what about the bodies? Thanks. -DT

Back