Surefire vs. Fenix

For me it depends on the intended task.

Hiking/Camping - Quark 2xAA and a Headlamp

EDC - SF E2DL

Nightstand - SF G2L

For a hiking/camping light, I love the functional versatility of the Quark. It's highest mode looks brighter than my E2DL (because the woods get DARK at night), and it's lowest low is excellent for survival purposes, reading, and other low light tasks. And while I've never used the strobe, SOS, or beacon functions, it's nice to know it's there in an outdoor light. I love the modes offered by Fenix and 4sevens type lights. Furthermore, while I don't doubt my E2DL would be fine with a lil dunk, the Quark is actually rated IPX8 so I'd feel a little more comfortable dunking it (esp for warranty purposes). And as far as batteries go, I run lithium AAs, so the cold resistance and long-shelf life are as good as CR123s. The Quark doesn't feel cheap either; it's light yes, but not cheap. I won't say Fenix has ever felt cheap to me, but it certainly doesn't feel as good in hand for some reason as the Quark (and definitely not as solid as the surefire). And lastly, as Carrot said, the Quarks really are cutting-edge while being affordable. ETA: Before the Quark, the Fenix L2D Q5 was my hiking light, now it's in the car emergency kit.

For the EDC light, well, I commute into a city that has been demolished by earthquakes before. I want a tough light that has a solid record of dependability with good performance. The E2DL has a good rep (as far as I've gleaned from my pre-purchase research), performs well, seems more impact resistant than fenix, and serves my EDC needs perfectly with its two simple modes (I have a iTP A3 EOS upgrade on my keychain if I need a lower low). I wouldn't mind a higher high, but it's still plenty bright for my needs. I would have a harder time scrounging for batteries if it came to it, but I do carry at least 4 extra cells. The light puts out high quality performance, and feels like it does to boot.

And as for bedside, the G2L fills that role perfectly. The light doesn't move from that spot unless I'm using it, so I don't need it to be the toughest light out there. The one mode interface is simple for a bump-in-the-night light, and it's even better with the clicky upgrade. It doesn't need the newest emitter to fulfill its duty. It's an indoor light, so water resistance is not a huge concern. It's affordable, performs well, and I have a ton of long-lasting batteries for it. If I had the spare coin, I'd get a second E2DL for the nightstand, but the G2L still does a good job.

Last edited:
First time I've ever seen this much negativity about Surefire, WOW! Anyways, I got a couple Fenix lights (L1Tv2.0, L0D-Q4, E01...) and two SF lights (G2 incan and E2L Outdoorsman). I use the fenix L1T almsot daily as a helmet light for road and mountain biking. I carry the L0D on my keychain. I keep the Surefires in the glovebox and the BOB.

You can't lose with either, but if you need it to work every time, I'll take a Surefire. That is all.

I have owned and used several Surefires, Nitecores and Fenix. The Fenix are all that I have kept. I edc an LD10 and keep a TK21 for around the property. Outstanding lights and much more versatile than any of the SF I have had. Yes, even if they were free I'd choose a Fenix. Made in China, but made well.

seems like most of the surefire folks are the tacticool type rather than the practical folks. i love fenix / quark. i have a surefire on my glock. the only surefire ill ever own probably. fenix is where its at bang for buck. superb quality and warranty

fenix should come out with some dedicated weaponlites, until then as good as they are they will be mostly a utility lite and SF will rule the roost in weaponlites.

hi-performance flashlights became became viable to me only because of LED technology...the short runtimes of hi-luman incans made sense only to those in professions where you needed that kind of intensity by any means/cost necessary...now LED's are made not only brighter light but at 3-5x runtimes than the incan it replaced...

looked at fenix; good gear...but bought surefires; just like the feel of them better: G2, G2Z, Z2; all of them have different malkoff drop-ins...runtime has greater value than outright power...

concur that the fenix line is equal, and maybe better in some aspects; but i'll only buy surefire lights, even at their higher cost...

where they are made has made no difference on purchase preferences...

Last edited:
I own Nitecore, Fenix, and Surefire's. Had the Surefire's the longest without even so much as a hiccup. Nitecore on the other hand, have 2 of the d10's that just turn on whenever they feel like it and change brightness level in the middle of being used. I have a defender infinity by Nitecore that lasted maybe 3 months. Fenix is decent but mine are heading in the same direction as my Nitecore's. My Surefire's are over 4 years old and never had any problems with any of then, IMO you can just spend the money now and buy a High quality product like a Surefire( Lifetime warranty that's mostly never needed) or spend the money over a longer period and buy 6 or 7 Nitecore's of Fenix's. Just my .02

I own multiple of each. Surefire has better build quality, they are more robust. Fenix has cutting edge technology--bleeding edge Cree LEDs, efficient electronics, longer runtimes at given lumens.

That said, I got my kids some new Quark Minis for Christmas, and I like them better than Surefire or Fenix. Better quality, better knurling, better everything than Fenix, but still had the great LEDs and runtimes.

Surefire makes the better combat/ "better work or I'm dead" light. If I was underwater caving, raiding some terrorist hideout, in the cast of "the descent" type of scenario.

For the 99.99% of our lives that isn't a life and deaths struggle, Fenix wins by a mile. Simmer, lighter weight, brighter, longer runtime, more settings, and can sit upright in candle mode (essential durring a blackout!) All while using standard AA batteries.

My Fenix has saved the day several times, and will continue to do so for many years to come.

Use Lithium AA's and it will run even longer, through a wide variety of temperatures.

Lumens do not equal quality. If that held true, the 20 buck super searchlight from Walmart is vastly superior to anything that can't match its output? I think not.

This debate between Fenix and SF is old. They both have merits, but some of the reasoning is pretty absurd.

--Lumenous output has nothing to do with quality, and most light manufacturers lie about output, or claim numbers based upon emitter specs.

--Real life output between the two brands are comparable, based upon independent I.S. testing.

--Warranty: Fenix's warranty sucks. Paying for parts, limited replacement, only lifetime if bought from their store. must have proof of purchase, etc. Maybe a Dealer may be more willing to assist. SF is one phone call, no questions asked.

--Brand longevity: SF has been around since 1984, with a brand base and recognition that shows it will be around for a long time. Fenix could disappear tomorrow, and take all the warranty/EU support with it.

The Chinese made lights don't have to figure warranty claims, parts availability, compatibility, reliability, etc into their product development. Churning out an aluminum tube with a switch and LED isn't too difficult. Creating a light that has to have the aformentioned qualities is difficult, and that difficulty is reflected in cost.

SF makes a superior product, but the cost is high, which is passed on to the end user.

And fenix-store.com is the official outlet of Fenix flashlights? Purchased an EO1 from them and delivery was immediate.

Thanks.

No, they are just a US dealer/distributor. There is no official outlet.

Well said Dano!!

If you might need it to save your bacon, go Surefire or Streamlight. The 2 brands that our military and police rely on and have something to loose if they make a crappy product. Save up if you have to. Don't buy another knife, DVD, whatever, for a couple of months.
If that's not a consideration, Quark and Fenix are great. I have a
Quark 123*2 as a backup in my vehicle to my Surefire LX2. Some of my relatives have fenix's on their keychains. But a Surefire next to the pistol in the safe.

I don't have any Fenix's but I do have a Surefire E2D LED that I got as part of a trade... if I were to do it all again I wouldn't pay the extra $ for a Surefire. In my opinion you're really not getting much more

I own both brands and like both for different reasons.

If I had to choose only one light knowing that my life might depend on it I would choose a Surefire. I've dropped two of my aluminum bodied Surefires from chest high onto concrete on their heads and besides a little cosmetic damage (slight nicks, hardly noticeable), both lights continued to function flawlessly.

As much as I like my Fenix lights I'm not sure they are as durable. Wouldn't want to bet my life on it.

i own quite a few surefire, fenix, and nitecore lights.

i like the fenix/nitecore lights because they are generally inexpensive and have superior output levels. the choice of batteries is also nice.

keep in mind i tend to be very hard on my lights when im at work. for years i carried only surefire lights. when the fenix and nitecores hit the market i gave them a try for duty use. ultimately, i based my decision on the following:

1. brightness: nitecore
2. size: nitecore
3. battery availability: nitecore
4. simplicity: surefire
5. switch reliability: surefire
6. tailcap switch (a must): both
7. durability: surefire

on duty, i carry a surefire lx2. i like a simple light, and reliability is a must. i may be depending on my light to save my life, and i wont carry anything but surefire on duty. the fenix and nitecores, in my experience, have very tempermental switches/circuitboards, especially the ones with 4+ settings.

under stress, i need a light that is predictable considering the loss of fine motor skill. the lx2 has only two settings, low and high. i dont want my light to strobe, flash, or toggle between settings. with the surefire, just push and most likely ill end up on the high setting.

and the pocket clips on the nitecore lights suck badly. the tiny screws back out and the allen heads are easily stripped.

for pocket carry, i tend to carry a nitecore infinity. again, simple switch design and very bright. to change settings, you have to twist with the head, which is very unlikely during a stressful encounter. i just picked up a little streamlight that ive been carrying. not terribly bright, but only one setting and a good switch.

i have a bunch of other surefires, nitecores, fenix, and 4 sevens lights. they are all good lights, but all also have shortcomings which concern me enough that carry time is very limited.

Mmmm...LX2.... No! I do NOT need another light!!! :D

It's just that every time I pull out my E2DL, the crenellated bezel makes me feel a wee bit silly.... I do like my 5/200 output though :thumbup:

I own one Surefire and about 4 Fenix lights- I guess that sums it up.

No Fenix has EVER failed me in any situation, and to be fair, neither has the Surefire. However, the Fenix lights have more features, and cost half the price.

And then there's the batteries....

everybody keeps mentioning batteries in this compoarison why?? fenix has just as many cr123 battery lights as surefire. they also have AA lights as well but more of the 123 type. If you buy in bulk those cells are not very expensive, they last 10 years, are twice as powerful, and smaller. Fenix makes a great light. I have afew and have given many out as gifts, I prefer surefire because the build quality is slightly better and I think they are cooler yes, I said it I buy surefire because I think that they are cooler. very similar to those who need a sebensa or a busse. there are other knives that will fit the bill for a quarter or less of the pricce, but to some people the cool factor is worth it. I'm one of em

everybody keeps mentioning batteries in this compoarison why?? fenix has just as many cr123 battery lights as surefire. they also have AA lights as well but more of the 123 type. If you buy in bulk those cells are not very expensive, they last 10 years, are twice as powerful, and smaller. Fenix makes a great light. I have afew and have given many out as gifts, I prefer surefire because the build quality is slightly better and I think they are cooler yes, I said it I buy surefire because I think that they are cooler. very similar to those who need a sebensa or a busse. there are other knives that will fit the bill for a quarter or less of the pricce, but to some people the cool factor is worth it. I'm one of em

the reason is you can't walk in to a 7-11 and buy 123's. you must carry extras or risk having a b/o light.

i normally have extras, so for me, not really an issue. but i also have either a aa or aaa available. just in case.

Back