"survival" blankets

The rate of evaporation and hence the cooling effect is inversely correlated to humidity, such that zero evaporation occurs at 100% humidity.
The part you miss is that part is flat wrong and saturation vapor pressure is much strongly correlated to temperature. It will be high during hot hours and will drop at night.
So your pool in the desert will (obviously) have high evaporation during the day, which will result in high humidity level around the pool, which will turn into condensation when temperature drops.

The space blankets do work although pyschologically it takes some convincing because they're so light. But they are literally life savers.
But they have their limitations. I was on an arctic trip years ago and i had lost a great deal of weight rather quickly. One of the last nights it got cold and i was having some real difficulty getting warm so I took out my emergency space blanket. it did not seem to help much, so if you aren't generating enough heat or your core is too cold they won't solve the problem,

Humans are homeotherms (were talking about being warm blooded here) and of constant body temperature. We also tend to be of similar composition in terms of the atoms making up our body, so the amount of irradiation produced by our bodies remains fairly constant. In other words, whether or not it is cloudy or clear or the what the elevation is has nothing to do with radiant heat loss by your body.
True mammals are homeotherms so unless you start going hypothermia body temperature will remain fairly constant. Whether environnement is hot or cold your organism will do his best to regulate his temperature so things can keep going.

Now this is a "survival" forum so what we're interested in is what it costs to your body to keep that in order.
The more your energy balance is negative (or positive but that's another story) the more your body will have to burn supplies to make it up for the deficit.
So yes in terms of survival balance is more important than raw loss.

The part you miss is that part is flat wrong and saturation vapor pressure is much strongly correlated to temperature. It will be high during hot hours and will drop at night.
So your pool in the desert will (obviously) have high evaporation during the day, which will result in high humidity level around the pool, which will turn into condensation when temperature drops.

Thanks for responding Ravaillac. You are right that the dew point is negatively correlated to temperature. I`ll disagree with you in the present scenario in that we are comparing cloudy conditions (can`t see the sky) versus clear conditions (can see the sky) under a constant temperature.
With this caveat, it is reasonable to suggest that there will be higher humidity under the cloudy condition night compared to the clear night scenario. It might not be true but it is a reasonable assumption.

The scenario you describe in the last sentence above is only possible under a zero advection (no wind) scenario and closed systems. That is not likely to be encountered. The high humidity achieved above the water surface in the day will not correlate with the conditions achieved at night unless you are in some kind of thermal inversion.

Finally as I have posted two times now in my responses to TLM. You cannot explain freezing water at above zero temperatures as being a change in heat gain. It has to be a mechanism of heat loss. Both of us agreed that the rate of radiation loss of a body of water at a given temperature is the same regardless of the environmental conditions. Therefore, if you are to explain the the process of a water body achieving zero degrees despite air temperatures above this value you will have to invoke an additional mechanism of heat loss. The evaporative cooling process provides one such mechanism. I can provide a whole series of citations where animals use evaporative cooling as means of lowering the body temperature relative to air. The most famous example is that of the desert cicidae which can happily call under air temperatures that are above its lethal tolerance. It does this by tapping into the vasculature of trees that it feeds on and releases the water it obtains from the tree through its body surface. The evaporative cooling effect lowers the insects body temperature and allows it to survive at temperatures where it normally wouldn`t.

True mammals are homeotherms so unless you start going hypothermia body temperature will remain fairly constant. Whether environnement is hot or cold your organism will do his best to regulate his temperature so things can keep going.

Now this is a "survival" forum so what we're interested in is what it costs to your body to keep that in order.
The more your energy balance is negative (or positive but that's another story) the more your body will have to burn supplies to make it up for the deficit.
So yes in terms of survival balance is more important than raw loss.

The reason I brought up constant body temperature was to generate a proof that the rate at which we lose heat is independent of the surrounding conditions. This is the only real point of contention that I had with TLM. TLM later clarified what he mean and we agreed to this.

Our whole little debate started off with a Ron Hood video where he stated that you lose more radiation on a clear night compared to a cloudy night. This was an incorrect statement and both TLM and I have agreed to this. If Ron had said, you lose more heat he would have been correct. So really, I was only arguing about semantics. I never said that emergency blankets don`t work. However, the question of why they work is what I wanted to get at. With the evaporative cooling hypothesis, the emergency blanket covers that too. It provides a vapour barrier as well as a reflective surface for IR. So in the end its a good survival product.

This is a survival forum. In the end the product meets its needs. Does it make sense to hash out why one solution works and tease out its mechanistic attributes......I believe it is a worthwhile exercise. Based on our discussion I think that the emergency blanket works great. But also as noted by another poster that use of a Poncho might also be an alternative. In this case, you are covering one mechanism (evaporative cooling) but not the loss of radiation. The poncho alone might not be as effective as the emergency blanket, but I suspect it will be about 80% as effective.

Last edited:
Finally as I have posted two times now in my responses to TLM. You cannot explain freezing water at above zero temperatures as being a change in heat gain. It has to be a mechanism of heat loss.
No offense but you're missing the point:

LOSS + GAIN = EQUILBRIUM

Now remove gain without changing loss:

LOSS + ... = LOSS

Which results in temperature drop and, ultimately, freezing.

I've studied that kind of stuff and your evaporation thing is really protracted. I mean cooling by evaporation is a well known fact but it doesn't apply here. Actually the "clear sky effect" (whatever one wants to call it) also apply without water and usually result in condensation on object initially dry (and don't tell me that condensation is triggered by evaporation).

No offense but you're missing the point:

LOSS + GAIN = EQUILBRIUM

Now remove gain without changing loss:

LOSS + ... = LOSS

Which results in temperature drop and, ultimately, freezing.

I've studied that kind of stuff and your evaporation thing is really protracted. I mean cooling by evaporation is a well known fact but it doesn't apply here. Actually the "clear sky effect" (whatever one wants to call it) also apply without water and usually result in condensation on object initially dry (and don't tell me that condensation is triggered by evaporation).

Oh I understand the point but I think we are talking about different things because you came into the conversation at a different time and I suspect you didn't read all the posts between TLM and myself. There are two examples and story lines going on here. The first is whether you feel colder under clear sky versus cloudy sky conditions. The second was introduced by TLM when he indicated that he has seen water freeze during a clear sky nights even when the air temperature has never dropped below zero.

Lets be clear that both cases are non-equilibrium thermodynamics. Our bodies, unless we are dead, are usually maintained at a higher temperature than air due to our metabolism. If this isn't the case, we most certainly do not feel cold. For the freezing lake story, the air is warmer than the body.

The first story is one where I conceded to TLM. Ultimately, we agreed that you feel colder on the clear sky night and we also agreed that this was likely a result of net heat gain through IR. Initially my beef was that he indicated it was because you lose more IR on a clear night compared to a cloudy one. When we reconciled that the IR emissions by our bodies are the same regardless of conditions and since temperature is a function of gain plus loss, then in the cloudy condition the warmer feeling must be due to IR gain. The gain was provided by the scattering of IR emissions.

Evaporative cooling from our skin can also play a role here if the cloudy night has high humidity and the clear night has very low. This is why using a vapour barrier with your sleeping bag in the winter helps increase its warmth. Initially you sweat and raise the humidity within the vapour barrier to 100%. When you have 100% humidity in the interior of your bag your sweat no longer evaporates and therefore evaporative cooling no longer occurs. In this example, you feel warmer in the sleeping bag because you reduced a heat loss mechanism.

Now let jump back to the example of the puddle of water freezing when the air temperatures remain above zero degrees Celsius. Again, we clearly have a non-equilibrium phenomena (equilibrium occurs when net gain of heat is matched by net loss of heat). At some point during the night, the water which presumably was at a higher temperature than zero, had to lose heat such that its temperature (at least at the surface of the water) had to drop to zero degrees to initiate freezing. So, we went from temperature greater than zero to temperature of zero. The air temperature has stayed above zero all the time. So we have to establish that the water has lost heat. It may still be a net change, but clearly the loss is greater than the gain. So we have to focus on the loss thing and we have to ask, why is the loss greater than the gain?

The next variable in this scenario is that the water only freezes during the clear sky night and it doesn't freeze during the cloudy night. Now if the water starts off at the same temperature in the clear/cloudy scenario, and we have already laboriously established in past posts that the IR mechanism of radiation loss by the water will be the same regardless of cloudy/clear conditions, then we are put into a logical decision tree forced by the physical reality that water only freezes when its temperature reaches zero degrees Celsius. Here is where the example deviates from the human case discussed earlier. We cannot explain the freezing of water under clear conditions as due to a 'lack of heat gain' which we invoked as a reason why it feels warmer to us on a cloudy night. The reason why we cannot invoke this explanation is that it would force us to suggest that the freezing point of water is above zero degree Celsius. If the loss by IR is the same on clear/cloudy nights but the gain of IR is higher on cloudy nights then yes this could potentially contribute to a higher water temperature on cloudy night. However, on a clear night the water temperature would not drop below zero degrees because the air is above this value and gain of heat from air though convection should counter the loss of heat from water by the IR. I suspect in this case that convection heat transfer at the air/water interface is a far more rapid kinetic process than IR gain and heat and this is why asked if TLM would be willing to model the process using a non-steady state state model. I would provide the complimentary non-steady state model to describe the rate of evaporative cooling. We would both agree to specific conditions on which to parameterize the model that would include variables such as wind speed, air humidity, water/air temperatures and the water surface area and volume, pathlength for boundary layers etc....Model speak stuff.

Thus, we have to invoke an alternative cooling mechanism that can work in parallel with loss of IR and is consistent with the clear/cloudy critiera; that this alternative heat loss mechanism results in higher heat loss on a clear night compared to a cloudy night. My suggestion is that the cloudy night is likely to have higher humidity compared to the clear night. The higher humidity reduces the evaporation rate from the water surface. Thus the net loss of heat is reduced on the cloudy night. On the clear night, you have the same amount of IR losses, but also have lower humidity which increases the evaporative rate. Thus heat losses are greater on the clear night.

Regarding condensation. I don't see how this factors into the example. I should clarify that in my example above I am talking about relative humidity and not absolute humidity and perhaps this is where we are running into differences. Absolute humidity is the amount of water vapour contained within a volume of air. Relative humidity is the ratio of the absolute humidity divided by the saturation water solubility in air at a specified temperature. Relative humidity is the appropriate thermodynamic criteria because it specifies the potential for vaporization/condensation processes to occur. So when I talk about 100% humidity in air, net vaporization approaches 0 and evaporative cooling is minimized. When relative humidity approaches 0%, evaporative cooling is maximized.

When you are talking about absolute humidity, it is true that under conditions of 100% humidity and high temperatures in the day, that you will have condensation occurring with a drop in temperature. This is because the water holding capacity of air drops with temperature and the excess water must condense out. However, this condensation will not change the relative humidity. At the cooler temperature, the air will still be at 100% relative humidity, it will just have a lower absolute humidity. So on our cloudy night, sure some of the water may have condensed out but the relative humidity stays what it was during the day. On the clear night, relative humidity was probably close to zero in both the day and night so no change has occurred here anyway.

What you might be trying to indicate is that the lower saturating air capacity of air during the night will place a cap on how much evaporative cooling can take place. This is true and it is one reason we have to have a condition of very low relative humidity at night for the evaporative cooling process to explain the phenomenon of water freezing at air temperatures above zero. In other words we can't be at 70 or 80% humidity and still explain the freezing phenomena. Is this consistent with the example set forth by TLM? My understanding is yes I was under the impression that the observation for the example occurred in the desert where both absolute and relative humidty are generally low to zero. So, we can also establish a testable hypothesis: you won't get puddles of water freezing above zero degrees Celcius in wet temperate areas. Again, one could readily develop a model here to make more specific hypotheses about the windspeed and relative humidity values under which such a prediction would hold and would not hold. That would be a fun science study but probably not so novel as to warrant serious consideration for publication. Who knows though, I don't read read that kind of literature.

I should qualify that for a living, I am a scientist and I regularly publish models that describe pollutant transfer in abiotic and biotic media. Most of my models are based on diffusive flux processes which have close analogies to heat transfer. I'm also fascinated by non-equilibrium, non-steady state transfer processes and determining the kinetic bottlenecks that maintain such conditions. This is why I chose to participate so vigorously in this topic area, I find it very interesting and fun.

The surface of cold water is not very good evaporator, somewhat by definition. Agreed though that it would be the fastest way of heat transfer if applicable.

I once tried to set up a radiation balance calculation on the freezing tray but at least at the time could not find reliable data on the clear sky equivalent temp. Atmospheric scientists seem to use radiation power that is not easily translated into temp.

I have found a few things when using a thermal reflector: it should be set up (if possible) a little distance away from you and your gear, that way one maximizes the back reflection and minimizes the moisture intake, if one puts MLI right on top of a sleeping bag it gets wet in a few minutes because it is a very good vapor barrier too.

TLM

The surface of cold water is not very good evaporator, somewhat by definition. Agreed though that it would be the fastest way of heat transfer if applicable.

I once tried to set up a radiation balance calculation on the freezing tray but at least at the time could not find reliable data on the clear sky equivalent temp. Atmospheric scientists seem to use radiation power that is not easily translated into temp.

I have found a few things when using a thermal reflector: it should be set up (if possible) a little distance away from you and your gear, that way one maximizes the back reflection and minimizes the moisture intake, if one puts MLI right on top of a sleeping bag it gets wet in a few minutes because it is a very good vapor barrier too.

TLM

Thanks TLM, I suspected that the radiation model would be difficult to perform and I really don't know the subtitles related to the variables needed to model the process. I think it is a more straightforward process to model the evaporation. Maybe it was unfair of me to initiate a model challenge giving you the harder part to deal with :D

Evaporation rates will be lower at cooler temperature and as Ravaillac pointed out the lower saturation capacity of air at lower temperatures also places a constraint on how much evaporation can take place. The variable that can be played with is windspeed. If you have enough wind flowing across the water surface, the incoming wind has low humidity, then it might still work.

Thanks again for your discussion input here!

Occam's razor here.
The radiation thing is good enough and explain the whole thing. Really see no need to add that evaporation thing.

This is an interesting discussion. Any way someone could design an experiment where we could put some numbers to this? I was thinking about heating up some pans of water, setting some submersible thermometers in them and building shelters out of space blanket material. Not the same thing as a human I know, but they would radiate and "sweat." Does anyone have some better ideas?

Occham razor here.
The radiation thing is good enough and explain the whole thing. Really see no need to add that evaporation thing.

Occham's razor cannot be invoked since both processes are happening in a physical sense anyway. You can't say that evaporative cooling doesn't exist because it is a documented physical process and has been demonstrated to occur in nature. So I am not creating an artificially more complex system by adding this as a cooling mechanism. We are simply providing a more realistic picture of nature.

So the argument is really about which the two processes is greater on a kinetic scale. If you want to provide an alternative mechanism, please feel free to explain it and keep it within the laws of nature that we understand. However, I think at least with respect to TLM and I, we are at a point where without modelling it or performing empirical data collection we are at stalemate point of each of us believing our pet mechanism is the faster rate loss process.

Note that I did set up a clear testable hypothesis in my last (and overly long post). I suggested that frequency of observations about water freezing at air temperatures above zero will be inversely correlated to humidity conditions. This provides a prediction that can be compared with data that is readily collected if such a database exists. It also provides a discriminatory test between the IR-loss and evaporative cooling loss. That is how science works. We don't simply invoke Occham's razor to avoid having to collect data especially when the parameters in question are known to occur.

This is an interesting discussion. Any way someone could design an experiment where we could put some numbers to this? I was thinking about heating up some pans of water, setting some submersible thermometers in them and building shelters out of space blanket material. Not the same thing as a human I know, but they would radiate and "sweat." Does anyone have some better ideas?

Cool idea CoyotePhysics. That would be fun. If you can repeat the experiment across a gradient in air humidities that would also be an excellent exercise!

Cool idea CoyotePhysics. That would be fun. If you can repeat the experiment across a gradient in air humidities that would also be an excellent exercise!

I could probably make a garbage bag tent to increase humidity, decreasing humidity might be a challenge, but since I'm in Utah the air tends to be naturally dry.

we are at a point where without modelling it or performing empirical data collection we are at stalemate point of each of us believing our pet mechanism is the faster rate loss process.

Well it's not like we were investigating some exotic process. Not like we were at the bleeding edge of knowledge. The radiation thing has been done and redone. It has been used and proven in many field. We're way past the "hacking some measurements" thing.

To me it's a non-problem. While I don't claim to be an expert on subject I've spent some time on thermo-dynamics. The radiation thing is proven to me. Never heard about the evaporation thing as a significant aspect of problem.

If I was serious about it I'd try to probe my old lessons for some numeric aspects but to be honest I really don't feel like doing that. I'd simply suggest we ask some person who actually work on subject for confirmation because I don't feel like rebuilding a theory from scratch anyway.

One way to experiment: take a 50mm thick plastic foam, set a shallow tray with water on it, set a cone with MLI around the tray so that it only sees the sky. Wait for a clear sky night in open surroundings (US southwest for example), measure air temp and observe tray for ice....

TLM

Okay - Ravailac, granted. I will accept your answer in lieu of your perspective. I only ask that you consider my own perspective and personal experience in the matter as well.

First, TLM's observation of water freezing above zero struck me as counter intuitive from the beginning. I don't deny his observation, in fact, it spurned me to consider researching it further and I came to accept that it could happen. On the other side of the coin, the question is then why doesn't water freeze more often when the air temperatures are as high as 9 degree celcius? If it were strictly a surface radiative phenomena, and radiative losses are a function of the water body not the surroundings, then this should be an observation that is highly common not rare as it apparently is.

Both of us live in Northern temperate environments. I have a bunch of houses with drainage ditches around me. I can say that I usually do not see the traces of ice form around the margins of these ditches unless during the night the air temperatures drop to zero degrees or lower. I can say pretty confidently that seeing ice form on the surface of ditches would be highly uncommon when air temperatures remain above 9 degrees Celsius. The question then becomes why is this different than TLM's observations? I also wonder about the degree to which TLM's observation of water freezing when air temperatures are higher than zero are common in the desert. Does this always happen when air temperatures are as high as 9 degrees Celsius? Is it a rare event or frequent event? Also, is it possible that this observation could happen in my temperate and wetter environment? I would think that if it is possible in the desert, it is also possible in my neighborhood. So what are the operating conditions that make the observation more or less common under both circumstances? We are admittedly struggling with a set of covariate explanations. Cloudy conditions contribute to higher IR scattering and bounce back. Cloudy conditions are also correlated with relative humidity.

Now you might not be as familiar with evaporative cooling processes as you are with radiant processes, but I wonder if that has to do with the materials you generally work with. Obviously if you are dealing with inanimate objects with low water content then this is something you would encounter less in the literature you read. If you are dealing with living things that are usually 80% water content or lakes that are essentially 100% water content than you should understand that evaporative cooling is a major process to the heat balance of animals and the heat balance of lakes. Put it this way, you would not have evolved sweat glands if evaporative cooling were not important to your ability to maintain body temperature.

One way to experiment: take a 50mm thick plastic foam, set a shallow tray with water on it, set a cone with MLI around the tray so that it only sees the sky. Wait for a clear sky night in open surroundings (US southwest for example), measure air temp and observe tray for ice....TLM

Set a bucket of water in the open with a known quantity of water.
Take air temperature in the open.
Take notes about sky aspects or better log some fairly precise meteorological data (such those of professional data base).
In the morning measure ice mass (if any).

Repeat many times.

Put that in a database.
Do the data analysis and try to single out influence of meteorology.

That is how science works.
Note that science generally involve to start to by doing some bibliographic research to get a perspective of the current state of the art before getting to experiments. I'd suggest one start with that.

Since you apparently work in a university or some research center you probably have some contacts in a physics department or know someone who knows someone... I suggest you ask their opinion. That's what I'd do if I still had contacts in the field.

A reasonable suggestion Ravaillac. We can view this discussion as one part of the consultative process. I have not discounted anything that anybody has said and I have tried to build a picture that includes the plausible elements.

If I had a physical limnologist comment on the question would you accept that as a valid expertise? I can pose the question. I know a couple of hydraulic engineers who might comment as well. It will take a couple of weeks to resolve involving these other professionals. Our physics department mostly consists of quantum guys and they won't be interested in the problem.

The problem set is one of curiosity for me rather than a real professional interest, just like my participation on bladeforums. I do it as a matter of personal interest.

Back