Survival concept knives !

I think Dan Koster's Survivor also qualifies for this thread !

As does Ethan Becker's Machax -

Machax-1.jpg

Doc

Some mid sized outdoorsy bushcrafty types
Seresmaller.jpg

Then some bigger ones.
SEREchoppers.jpg

My own creation O1 9inch overall 5/32 thick scandi grind. Butterscotch paper Micarta
IMGP3516.jpg

I'll tell you a survival concept knife I've had in the back of my head for years now.

A big chopper knife chops well due to the weight of the blade, achieved through thickness i.e. 1/4" or greater, as well as edge geometry. However, often choppers are not good for carving and other bushcraft tasks.

A traditional bushcraft knife carves well due to a thin blade i.e. 1/8" or so up to 3/16" and good edge geometry i.e. scandi or convex etc but its size and weight make them less then ideal for chopping duties.

I want to build a bushcraft knife with two holes in the spine of the blade about 1/4 of the blade length away from the tip of the blade i.e. 4 inch blade = 1 inch away from the tip is where the holes would be or so...

I then want to make a small weight, possibly about the size of a magnesium fire starter bar, that attaches via screws or something simple into the holes on the blade.

This will increase the weight of the blade temporarily and enhance its ability to chop while maintaining all the capabilities we like in bushcraft knives once the weight is removed.

I am probably on crack with this idea and I am sure the blade length plays a factor in chopping ability but since we're talking "concepts" here is mine albeit a bit far fetched. :D

-Stan

One more survival concept knife... :D

You know that part of a knife that some call a "fuller" and others call a "blood groove"?

I want to have a knife with what I would call an "interrupted fuller" i.e. a fuller that runs the entire length of the blade but goes from fulller to full thickness blade and back again.

This would result in a series of squares along the sides of the blade.

The purpose would be to give traction to your fingers and thumb when one does extreme choking up on the blade for fine work or carving.

Am I making sense? I've been up all night with my 5 week old daughter. :D

-Stan

Another one for when my Photobucket account comes on again is the dartmoor Survival Knife:

P1040332_1188_1242.jpg

just stumbled across a pic of the Koster WSK, which i had not seen before.

attachment.php

Thanks for throwing my ACEK design into the mix, guys. I'm currently up north, about to hit the Bruce Trail, and the ACEK is on my belt. It's a bit of an odd design, but it does exactly what I need it to do. I'm grateful to John of JK Knives for his consistent willingness to experiment with our crazy designs. His shop has turned out some gems - Pit's knatchet and TTSK, my ACEK, and plenty more besides.

I love to see unusual knives getting built and used.

All the best,

- Mike

Mine will be a puma white hunter when i get the back edge serated.
If you can get one cheep go with it .
Just a cool knife for any job.:eek:

I think this one belonging to forum memebr Mentor should also be in this thread, quite the original design eh !

DSCF3327.jpg

oh, that's QUITE lovely. wow. like it. koster i take it? variant of the Monster Nessie maybe? mmmMMMmmm

As does Ethan Becker's Machax -

Machax-1.jpg

Doc

yes, love mine. will never voluntarily sell them while i'm still able to wield them. in which case, they'd probably get donated to the next appropriate "museum" :)

just stumbled across a pic of the Koster WSK, which i had not seen before.

attachment.php

yeah, these are pretty damn awesome, i have to say :) there are not a lot of them, and the owners seem to be keeping the last generation to themselves for some reason - they had a crazy copper colored textured coating. wild.

here are a few that most would consider

Bottom is Bill Siegles WSK

Picture028.jpg

i did not know he was making a WSK pattern. nice except for the shapened back edge. nope, do not like those. just give me a nice fat spine for hammering on :>

Bladite

Back