1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Survival knife-Completed-New Pics

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gear, Survival Equipment & More' started by R APPLEBY, Mar 5, 2012.

1. R APPLEBY

R APPLEBY KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 11, 2003
    Hi All, Something else I don't do very often is a tac styled knife. I designed this for my wifes doctor who is for one an avid hiker and also goes to desolate parts of the world doing surgeries during times of disaster. I really like this piece and am prototyping it with more survival minded features so the design is not yet complete.

Specs are;

Blade ; Differentially tempered 5160, 5" X 1/4" thick X 1 1/4" wide, flat ground to spine with a convexed edge. Blade has 2 3/4" x 1/4" fuller and unsharpened
    clip point.

Handle; Inclined knurled thumb ramp, Index finger recess for better retention and blade control. 4, 1/4" chamfered holes for lashing to a pole for use as a spear
    or extended weapon. Extended tab on but for prying and glass breaker. Handle scales are fluted bead blasted black G10 attached with Chicago screws.

OAL; 10 1/4"

Still a work in progress

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  2. tknife

tknife Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 18, 1999
    Nice design, looks like a lot of knife in a compact package. I bet it will serve him well :thumbup:

3. russianpolander

russianpolander Gold Member Gold Member

May 23, 2011
    Very, very nice!

4. WILLIAM.M

WILLIAM.M Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 14, 2006
    Sent you a PM

Sweet Knife!!!!!

5. Stubai

Stubai

Mar 16, 2007
    Your wife's doctor should be well served with this compact design. Good job!

6. R APPLEBY

R APPLEBY KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 11, 2003
    Thanks all, still a design in progress, I am considering a wrench in the handle from 5/8ths to 5/16 and a 1/4 inch drive straight and phillips screw drivers in the but of the tang along with making the glass breaker/ prybar to include a nail puller.

7. Wyszrd

Wyszrd

Feb 12, 2011
    I couldn't quite tell if you've already delivered the final knife to the good doctor, but if not and he's working in other parts of the world you may want to go with metric system wrenches, maybe 9, 10, or 11 mm? Not sure which is the most common size.

8. R APPLEBY

Mar 11, 2003
    Crap didn't consider that, I guess thats gonna take a bit of rethinking. The knife hasn't been delivered yet but the other features I am planning haven't been incorporated yet but good point, Thanks

9. TheGame

TheGame

Sep 24, 2008
    I like the way it looks. Cool blade.

10. jimh0220

jimh0220 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Very cool. Why the blood groove and swedge at the tip, though?

11. Codger_64

Codger_64 Moderator Moderator

Oct 8, 2004
    You might consider an eccentric wrench that fits multiple sizes and both SAE and meteric. They look like an enlongated hex, larger on one side than the opposite side. Otherwise a pinned jaw like a plumber's sink wrench.

12. Mossyhorn

Mossyhorn Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 6, 2009
    The knife is great. I'd buy one.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  13. R APPLEBY

Mar 11, 2003
    It is a fuller, it reduces weight and maintains strength. The swedge at the tip is to increase penetration(taking game for instance). It is a design in progress. I am attempting to incorporate as many features that may help in as many survival situations as possible. I would like to be responsible for a person in need to "not" say "Damn I wish I had a ******"

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  14. R APPLEBY

Mar 11, 2003
    Thanks, It's worth considering

15. R APPLEBY

Mar 11, 2003
    Thanks, I hope to have this design completed soon, Please keep watching

16. glamdring

glamdring

Dec 13, 2003
    I like it. But I would change two things eliminate the thumb ramp and the finger recess. I've just never really needed either of those items on a knife. Perhaps two or more models will come out of this venture. :)

17. R APPLEBY

Mar 11, 2003
    Thanks

18. 16VGTIDave

16VGTIDave

Mar 12, 2011
    Nice work! Looks like a well thought out design with all the features I'd want in a hard use, survival oriented knife. I'm assuming that the spine has sharp, squared off edges for striking a fire steel. Right? :)

The only other suggestions I have are cosmetic. I'd suggest a bright color for the scales, and a contrasting color lanyard. For example, bright blue scales and a yellow or orange paracord lanyard with a glow in the dark cord end. Make it stand out so it doesn't get misplaced or lost. Or borrowed without permission...

If you are inclined to make more, or sell your prototypes, let me know.

Regards,
    Dave

19. dallastxco

dallastxco

Dec 18, 2010
    I like it the way it is. I'm in for one when they are ready to be produced!

20. R APPLEBY

Mar 11, 2003
    Yes I left the edges of the spine square and I have just finished with the final design with a lot of the changes I mentioned previously and will be sending it out for water jet tomorrow.

Thanks all for the interest.

Please stay tuned

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012