Survive! GSO 4 Limited Edition Regrind

You can see in the picture with the two blanks, spine to spine that the finger pocket is deeper on the new grind than the old. This will lend itself to a little more "belly" felt in the handle.

This looks sweet, but I already have eight S! knives on order (some as gifts -- not all for me!) including a 4.5. And I really need a new NAS for the home network much more than yet another knife.

But it looks so shiny!

How are these really much different than the GSO 4.5 bushcraft? am i missing something significant?

What the hell, just ordered one. I actually think this might be a great one. I have been looking at the 4.5 bushcraft. I was wanting more of a slicer, a little lighter and more "trim". I do spend a lot of time in remote areas out alone so i need my knives to be able to handle things in a pinch. But that being said i dont abuse them on daily basis.

When they all arrive this will leave me with 4 S!K knives. A 2.7, 4.1 Limited, 4.7 Cru and a GSO6. I will probably pick two that complement each other and let the rest go. Or so i tell myself to justify the buying. But it looks like the 2.7 and this 4.1 might be a nice pair! But maybe even a small folder and the 4.1 would work well? I actually think this thin blade design might be perfect in a 3.5. But i know this is kind of a after thought and a redesign of the scandi blade.

Last edited:
I get that but if the order is cancelled, would it not be re-sold? Doubt they'd be out the sheath money

Possibly, but maybe not. If it is a left-handed sheath with the ferro rod holder, there may not be another order placed for it. Or if it is at the end of the run and we don't get anymore orders for the sheath, it could end up sitting in a bin waiting for someone to order it. We still have a few old spec GSO-4.1 Sagewood Gear sheaths in stock. That's several hundred dollars just sitting in a bin doing nothing. We are trying to avoid future situations like that.

Hello Ellie! The fasteners you helped me with did the trick :)

Me too. Interested to see the handle contour and if they will have the new fasteners. The other changes should make a really nice game blade for what I'm after.

Awesome! I'm going to try and keep track of the fasteners sizes and maybe we will end up with some easy options for swapping over to the new spec. The GSO-4 Limited handles will have some good contouring and will be micro-textured. We will also be getting the new T-25 fasteners for them.

How are these really much different than the GSO 4.5 bushcraft? am i missing something significant?

The GSO-4 Limited will be a little smaller all around but especially in the handle length. Guy extended the handle length quite a bit for the GSO-4.5 Bushcraft.

Possibly, but maybe not. If it is a left-handed sheath with the ferro rod holder, there may not be another order placed for it. Or if it is at the end of the run and we don't get anymore orders for the sheath, it could end up sitting in a bin waiting for someone to order it. We still have a few old spec GSO-4.1 Sagewood Gear sheaths in stock. That's several hundred dollars just sitting in a bin doing nothing. We are trying to avoid future situations like that.

Fair enough, completely makes sense if the sheaths are made custom to order. With that being said, the knives ordered without sheaths, would they still be subject to the $100 re-stock fee?

The GSO-4 Limited will be a little smaller all around but especially in the handle length. Guy extended the handle length quite a bit for the GSO-4.5 Bushcraft.

I just looked up the specs on the GSO-4.5 and it has five inches of handle. You could take half an inch off and it would still be enough for me. :thumbup:

That is great to hear about the handle being shorter. I didn't think about that. I have small hands and don't think o would have liked the longer handle. But sounds like this 4.1 might be perfect.

Fair enough, completely makes sense if the sheaths are made custom to order. With that being said, the knives ordered without sheaths, would they still be subject to the $100 re-stock fee?

Read a few posts back. If you opt out of the sheath, restocking is $25, and the web site is updated to show that.

My recollection is that the Mora "Heavy Duty" or Robust models are 27-30' inclusive, not per side, and while that is not technically "obtuse" (>90) it is certainly MUCH thicker than a conventional saber-ground blade with a primary bevel of only 10' inclusive and only an edge-bevel 15-20 dps. I feel like these are a smaller-version preview of the "Bushcraft 4.5"

I also cannot recall what the original angle on those blades ...

Chiral, I bought a bevel gauge and checked the knife that I was thinking about, and it is right around 25 inclusive. Thanks for keeping me honest. ;)

I gave in.

Reason: have been considering the Fiddleback production Kephart but had reservations about a couple of things and really would rather buy a hand-made knife from FF rather than the production for the price. Buying one of these sans sheath (couldn't afford it at this time) gives me an option to try something very similar but possibly more to my liking.

Do you want to borrow mine when it comes in?

I was also thinking of sending it to Grog if he decides he wants to build a leather sheath of his own for people.

Thanks Chiral. I appreciate that.

That's along way off. Once you get yours, let me know and we'll go from there. If that's the case, I'd throw in a free sheath for you when I send it back.

I keep looking at the sample picture on the Survive webpage and thinking that the sharpening notch is pretty large.
I must admit that those gaps at the base of the blade are my least favorite Survive feature.
Knives that don't have them do require more attention if you want the base of the blade to transition smoothly into the tang, but if the option existed I'd take the messy grind and eliminate the "notch".
Edit: Now that I think of it Guy doesn't really do messy so I guess that must be why he puts them in all his designs...

I gave in and ordered one. I thought it might be pretty close to the 4.7 but we shall see. I am interested to see how the thinner blade stock feels.

Can wait to see one with handle scales on it!

I understand that our track record with lead times hasn't been great but I want everyone to know that we put a lot of thought into this preorder based on the feedback we have been receiving. Guy believes the orders will start shipping out in 4 months so I was sure to extend that time frame quite a bit. Additionally, the blades have already finished at production grinding so they are MUCH further along. The handles are on schedule to start machining and there are a lot less blades so every step will be a bit quicker. Even the restocking fee serves a dual purpose, to protect us from losses due to cancelled orders and to encourage people to think a bit more about if they want to preorder or not. We were also sure to limit the number of preorders we are accepting. We are learning as we go, listening to your feedback and doing what we can to improve.

I am so happy to hear that you guys are implementing some new basic business strategies. Its probably a hard pill to swallow when making some changes that you dont really want to make, but it will be good for your company!

LONG LIVE SURVIVE!

That's really good looking. I like it. Is that style available for other knives?

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

That's really good looking. I like it. Is that style available for other knives?

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Directly from Sagewood (should have posted this originally!):
"This particular sheath fits the GSO4.1 Gen 2, but this is the style we are using for the GSO4 Limited Edition Sheath."

It could be worth an email to him if you love the style for another model.

Back