Survive! Knives GSO-5.1 - comparison to SYKCO 511, SRKW RatManDu, Cattaraugus 225Q

Discussion in 'Knife Reviews & Testing' started by chiral.grolim, Aug 26, 2013.

1. chiral.grolim

chiral.grolim Universal Kydex Sheath Extension

Dec 2, 2008
    Thank you for reading and commenting :)

2. lemonslush

lemonslush

Aug 13, 2012
    Excellent post, thanks for the review. I need to get my hands on one. Hope they become available soon.

3. BallewBlade

BallewBlade

Oct 10, 2011
    Thanks for the review. The GSO is the winner in my mind!

4. chiral.grolim

Dec 2, 2008
    Thank you for the comments. The GSO-5.1 is definitely a solid execution of design. :thumbup: One thing I'd mention to folks before ordering is that if you get the bow-drill divot and are right-handed, request to have it drilled on the right-scale rather than the left. The reason is that it is safest to use the bow-drill with the knife sheathed, and if you optimize for drop-belt or drop-leg carry as I do, the left-scale is covered by the sheath-extension, obstructing the bow-drill divot. If the divot were on the other scale, it'd be free and clear :thumbup:.

5. ceptor781

ceptor781 Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Received my 6 today. Overall the same size as the 5.1 minus the choil. Everything is typical Survive! quality. No pics yet.

6. bedgoo

bedgoo

May 16, 2010
    Probably the most detailed written review of a fix blade I've ever read. Excellent post, thanks!

7. chiral.grolim

Dec 2, 2008
    Please feel free to post pics when able, it'd be wonderful to have them included in the thread :thumbup:

Thank you for the compliment, and for reading. :)

8. rwdata

rwdata Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Excellent review. Maybe you should get a YouTube channel and do reviews professionally? :)

9. chiral.grolim

Dec 2, 2008
    Meh, there's a lot of those guys already out there with strong exposure/penetration. I don't think I'd have time to keep up with regular reviews, enough money to buy knives to review, enough penetration to encourage makers to donate knives for review, etc. I've made a few videos, none very good, but I definitely prefer typed/written reviews vs. "talkies" as the latter are harder to translate for non-English folk and are often too long. The videos are just to demonstrate how the knife handles and are easy to skip through. Feel free to post comments on those I have made, youtube Chamdar17.

Thank you very much for reading this review and the compliment. :)

10. vxd

vxd Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 1, 2011

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  11. Riz!

Riz! Gold Member Gold Member

May 5, 2014
    This is an excellent review. The GSO 5.1 is may favorite blade. Reading your review is what made me decide to get one!

12. OBX351

OBX351

Sep 29, 2014
    I know this is an old post but I have 3 DLC S! Knives, 4.1, 5.1 and a 7/7 all with the ferro-notch and they ALL throw excellent sparks. I've compared them to my Fallkniven F1, Battle Horse Woodsman pro, Koster MUCK, USMC KA-BAR, Busse SOB and a Mora Bushcraft. The S! Knives, Woodsman Pro and the F1 threw the best sparks but I found that the ferro-notch on the S! Knives consistently threw as as good if not a better spark than the F1 and the Woodsman pro. I believe it is because the ferro-notch has more surface area. Both the coated and non coated S! Knives threw consistently large sparks with many different firesteels this includes my large Light My Fire 2.0 Army, several no brand 3/4", 1/2" FSs down to my my cheap and thin 1/4" (or less) $2 firesteel.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  13. chiral.grolim

Dec 2, 2008
    Thank you for adding this information!

You have an excellent selection of knives there :thumbup: Would make for a good comparative review thread.

14. OBX351

OBX351

Sep 29, 2014
    I would be happy to but they would pale in comparison to the one's you've written.

15. FishingHook

FishingHook

Jun 27, 2015
    Is the knife tang of god 5.1 skeletonized?

16. chiral.grolim

Dec 2, 2008
    No, full thickness and width throughout, except for the holes or each bolt and the lanyard.

17. dogboye

dogboye Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 23, 1999
    I'm gonna resurrect this again, as it is a fantastic review of these knives, particularly the S!K 5.1. Makes me excited to have one on order (albeit 20CV). And you include my favorite knife, the RMD. With all the hype going on in the Busse board regarding their 2 every week releases, it is good to be reminded of just how good the RMD is. At least it was for me. Excellent review, and I think I'll soon be in touch for a couple of more of those kydex extensions. I have several knives in need of those.

18. chiral.grolim

Dec 2, 2008
    Thanks for reading, and thank you for the interest and support re. my extensions :)

19. Rockywolf

Rockywolf Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 16, 2005
    Fabulous review. I'd be interested in a comparison between this and a Fiddleback Duke.

20. chiral.grolim

Dec 2, 2008