Swamp Rats!!!!. . . . Help Design And Win A Free Knife!!!!!!

Thought of this while zoning at work. Res-C coated micarta handles. Gives the grip of the res-C but when that wears/tears away you have micarta or g-10 underneath. This would also increase the grip size for reducing hand fatigue. 1/8"-1/4" of coating would be plenty.

If someone already posted this idea, my bad.

J.

As someone said already a choiless version of the Ratmandu would be awesome but if you made it out of INFI it would be perfect!, especially with a satin finish... if any of the teams makes this knife I am sure it would be one of the greatest sellers of all time

A choil-less wharncliffe the size of the swamp warden with similar handle design. Designed to be a super slicing edc.

Does anyone know if this contest is still ongoing? The posts have been up a while and have not had an 'official' response in quite some time. I believe its even dropped off the first page of the busse sub-forum.

how about an 8'' blade version of the dogfather with the handle from the m-9 but make the blade wider by about 1/2-3/4 ''. this would make for a heavy duty blade with clever like chpping ability.

After thinking some more what I really want is an Infi chef's knife. 8 inch blade at 3/32 thick. Tactical kitchen knife, that would be awesome.

Anorexic Little Mischief, as a matter of fact... anything anorexic!:eek:

Wauseon needs to come out with a good bushcrafter, something thin, in the 3-5 in range, light and compact.

The BAD was close, but IMO the blade was too short, and the choil... not useful. The Vex was ok, but I couldn't warm up to it for several reasons.

An anorexic little mischief with a slightly bigger choil, full flat ground.

I would like to see a golok 'jungle knife' from any of the teams. Large enough to be used to clear foliage, but not so large as to be overly cumbersome.

I would envision the tip coming to a sharper point then a typical golok, and with the taper leading to the spine having a false edge to facilitate penetration in stabbing cuts into light metal for opening canned food or other such tasks in wartime or other emergency situations.

The blade should be slightly forward heavy to make it a good chopper, and the spine should be almost completely straight to facilitate in batoning larger pieces of wood, hammering tent stakes, or for non-lethal self defense use. The overall weight of the knife should not be so much that it would make using it for extended periods overly tiresome. It should be sturdier and heavier then a machete, but not to the extent that using it to cut down vines, tall grass and other foliage becomes unfeasible.

The main difference between this and a dedicated large chopper should be that this design would be lighter and better suited for clearing brush in jungle or swamp environments, while still offering better chopping performance, more lateral strength and better edge retention in comparison to a machete. It would also have the trademark Busse / Swamp Rat choil that makes choking up on the blade a viable option for more finesse work. It's tip would come to a sharper point then the Bark River Golok, and therefore would be suitable for some minor stabbing work.

Last edited:
I think that a knife in the form of a long spear head with a two hand grip would be great. The spear head could have a false edge (could be sharpen) on the top to complete the look but not be a problem in some states. I envisionlize the blade ~ 8-12 " , with a handle of ~ 10 ". The handle to have extra eyelets to enable strapping the whole thing to a shaft for more fun. handle material to be less agrassive for comfort. The shape of the blade can be a modified spear point and this thing can be as normal or as far off a spaer point as anyones imagination.

chris

how about a ratmandu with a slight recurve on the cutting edge,deeper/longer swedge, and a recurve on the spine, similar to the busse tankbuster, and a convex edge for easy re'sharpening in the field. possibly some serrations but not so much that all the useful cutting edge is gone,maybe in the recurve on the spine? black or dark gray blade and put black G10 or coyote tan magnum micarta handles on it. so basically a knife that looks like the offspring of a busse tankbuster and a swamprat ratmandu. that would be the ultimate combination of usability and good looks

Last edited:
And a year into this contest...

Ya think they scrapped this whole thing?

Hmm... that's quite a shame. And the t-shirt design contest results from a few months ago weren't announced as well... :thumbdn:

i would like to see a satin bowie design, full exposed tang. nearly butcher knife shape, Regulator thickness, slightly exaggerated finger guard on blade side, flush handle to blade on top, and linen micarta handles. name: "Dirty Rat." :thumbup:

If anyone is entitled to win something, it would appear to be KnotSlip over on the Scrap Yard forum. He suggested a blade that turned out to be pretty close to the upcoming Scrap Yard Scrapizashi.

No word yet on that yet.

Back