SYKCO Celebrates Father's Day With The New WD5 ! ! ! . . . Coming This Sunday, June 18, 2023, At 9:00 PM Eastern!!!

I like the WS knives. Especially their choils - small and angled. Perfect, I wish the bigger blades would have that design. Way better looking and I would rather keep my hand on the HANDle.

Death to all the hideous large choils. I love Busse and have many but I hope they see the light some day. Large choils are a relatively new "feature". People of the past used and depended on knives probably more so than we do today and they did not have choils. Would they wonder why the people of the future would want to put their finger on a blade instead of the handle? I know, I know, for dEtAiL wOrK. If a knife is designed to have the edge of the blade close to the handle it will allow you to do detail work with your hand on the handle.

I hope more will be made in this size. Really excited about this style. Maybe some kitchen knives? Where the blade extends down further than the handle for chopping vegetables. These would be great camp knives. Maybe even a dagger. One side plain and the other serrated? So many possibilities.

I like the WS knives. Especially their choils - small and angled. Perfect, I wish the bigger blades would have that design. Way better looking and I would rather keep my hand on the HANDle.

Death to all the hideous large choils. I love Busse and have many but I hope they see the light some day. Large choils are a relatively new "feature". People of the past used and depended on knives probably more so than we do today and they did not have choils. Would they wonder why the people of the future would want to put their finger on a blade instead of the handle? I know, I know, for dEtAiL wOrK. If a knife is designed to have the edge of the blade close to the handle it will allow you to do detail work with your hand on the handle.
Ideally, I do "work" with a "big" blade and a "little" blade.
Big is 6+ inches

Little is 1.75-5". The max my pointer finger can touch the tip. Depending on choil.

That being said, I can ham fist a k-bar big brother and skin a cow with it. But not efficiently.

I can baton with a elmax slicers.

But not efficiently.

The big knives having choils imho give an option to "choke up" to potentially make it a multi use singular blade imho.

Gun to my head choose one blade for everything in life, I'd choose an 7-8" blade with .22-.25 spine with large choil. Ds-6 size.

So can it withstand batoning?
That's a good question. This model is designed primarily as a slicer. However, batoning shouldn't be a problem if you're using a wooden baton. A ball peen hammer or chunk of concrete may be a different story since the blade is so thin.

So, the question really shouldn't be, "Can it withstand batoning?" but rather, "Can the warranty withstand batoning?" and to that I can say without hesitation or any reservation, "YES"

Have fun with no fear my friends!

Let's drink!

Jerry

That's a good question. This model is designed primarily as a slicer. However, batoning shouldn't be a problem if you're using a wooden baton. A ball peen hammer or chunk of concrete may be a different story since the blade is so thin.

So, the question really shouldn't be, "Can it withstand batoning?" but rather, "Can the warranty withstand batoning?" and to that I can say without hesitation or any reservation, "YES"

Have fun with no fear my friends!

Let's drink!

Jerry

I figured it had the reliable Busse warranty. I'm gonna get two, probably grind a drop point(my preference) and see how she fairs in the woods of Montana this summer. I'll report back 😁

Big fan of the WS blades here too. I’ll try this one out as a pack knife, so it will get used around camp to make fire, feather/try sticks, prep food, etc. I’m save the batoning for my larger blades.

Back