Symbols of the American West Eaten by Rich Foreigners

Wild Horses, Living Symbols of the Historic and Pioneering Spirit of the West, to be Slaughtered

WASHINGTON -- December 1 -- During the end of year appropriations frenzy, U.S. Senator Conrad Burns (R-Mont.) inserted language into the Consolidated Appropriations bill to permit wild horses and burros to be killed and their meat sent abroad where it is eaten by people in upscale restaurants.

The measure, tucked in the massive omnibus bill, would undermine the Wild Free-Roaming Horses and Burros Act by permitting so-called "excess" horses and burros to be sold at auction "without limitation." Killer buyers frequent these auctions to purchase animals for slaughter at one of the three remaining plants in the U.S. The equines are transported and killed under appalling conditions and their flesh, which cannot be sold for human consumption in the States, is sent overseas.

In 1971, Congress passed the Wild Free-Roaming Horses and Burros Act (WFHBA) to ensure that wild horses and burros would be protected. The law was the result of public outrage at the discovery that hundreds of thousands of wild horses and burros were the victims of cruel extermination by ranchers who wanted the animals removed from public lands to make way for livestock. By the time the legislation passed, the population had decreased to only one percent of the estimated two million animals who roamed the West at the turn of the 20th century.

I have a donkey(burro) named Jasper that descended from some of the donkeys sold at auction.

He's funny. During the summer and even till now we just let him run loose on our land. He's like a deer. You just will run on him in the woods sometimes. He even browses more than grazes most of the time.

When we used to have evil neighbors with a rottweiler he would bait the Rott and then kick him in the head and when the dog took off he would chase it with his front feet trying to stomp it. It finally got to the point where he was in their yard waiting for the dog to come off the porch. We had to put a fence up down there to keep him out till they left.

Jasper loves peppermints and will take beer bottles out of the recycling bin behind the house, tip them up to get the last sip out of the bottle and then break them on the concrete pad. He's satanic but we love him still.

I hate they are selling them to slaughter. Wish they could just sell them to individuals instead. I DO understand that they have a limited area there and if they overgraze it with unlimited numbers then all will suffer including the topsoil, which should be preserved at all cost.

My Uncle Dub in Texas keeps a couple on his ranch to control coyotes. The dang things will work together in the hunt! One will chase the coyote toward where the other is waiting in ambush. Evil critters they are...there's nothing left after a successful hunt but scraps of fur and an oily red smudge. They only come back to their corral because there's no food elsewhere (oil fields basically) and you have to darn careful getting the gate closed. I'm quite certain they would be glad to do the same to you.

That's horrible, Ben. First, who would want to eat horse and burro? Second, why would we let them? What would the congressman possibly have to gain? This is too wierd!

namaarie said:
What would the congressman possibly have to gain?

Ahh...the young have *so* much to learn...

namaarie said:
First, who would want to eat horse and burro?
I don't know about burro, but horse is served in some upscale restaurants in France.

While I would never eat horse, dog, whale nor any animal I consider very intelligent or a pet, I try not to condemn what other cultures like to eat. The same way I don't appreciate some person wearing a billboard with pictures of bloody animals and shouting through a bullhorn, "meat is murder" while I'm buying my cheeseburger and fries to-go.

Yep, but my excuse is that I come from a state with a *reasonably* honest Senator, Charles Grassley- R. Of course, the other is a total scumbag, who I believe is in some way related to Satan. He's Tom Harkin- D.

Yeah, I know that I supported Kerry, but this is one case in which I agree that the dem. sucks. Bad. Also one case in which I honestly like the Republican.

Also, having a guy from your state be chairman of the Senate finance committee isn't bad, either. Like last year, when the spending bill brought us a $300 millionish indoor rainforest. Wow! Does anybody smell the pork fryin'?

namaarie said:
Yep, but my excuse is that I come from a state with a *reasonably* honest Senator, Charles Grassley- R. Of course, the other is a total scumbag, who I believe is in some way related to Satan. He's Tom Harkin- D.

Yeah, I know that I supported Kerry, but this is one case in which I agree that the dem. sucks. Bad. Also one case in which I honestly like the Republican.

Also, having a guy from your state be chairman of the Senate finance committee isn't bad, either. Like last year, when the spending bill brought us a $300 millionish indoor rainforest. Wow! Does anybody smell the pork fryin'?

What don't you like about Harkin? I have heard him speak but since you are a democrat (I assume) and live in his state what don't you like about him?

His views on many subjects. He's way too liberal on many thing for me. My biggest beef with him is health care. Some of his policies seem to reflect the view that patients are victims of greedy doctors. I vehemently disagree. If you want, I have more details on this issue that I can bring up later.

Also, it's just the way he says and does stuff. He just seems dishonest. You know what I mean. You get a feel for what they're like and whether or not they're honest. He just feels dirty to me. I know that's not a political argument, but it matters.

Also, maybe it's just me, but he seems to have forgotten Iowa. That's not nice, considering we elected him.

Maybe it's just that he pails in contrast to Grassley. I just think that Harkin is a dirty character who votes with the party too much and makes too many deals.

I mean, I'll find my support if you want me to. It's more of a situation where you hear of something he did in the news and dislike it. Or you hear a speech and don't believe him. That kind of thing. There is support, but I'd have to have some time.

Mostly just views formed in passing, I suppose. But then, most political views are like that. Just your reaction to events that you won't remember in a week. But the feeling remains.

Namaarie.

I just remember him from when he ran for president in 92? He was one of my favorite contenders. Very pro union, anti NAFTA. Very pro little guy, at least in his rhetoric anyway. I never actually followed his senate record to find out how he voted on stuff or anything so you probably know more about that than me.

Grassley always seemed like a decent guy, but I didn't like his vote in favor of a national ID card (SB 1664 ) and his vote to allow government and businesses access to peoples private medical records without their consent (HR3013) or his vote for an amendment to increase the governments power to wiretap. I'm a pretty strong civil liberties guy and that kind of stuff scares me.

Chopsticks said:
...Weren't horses re-introduced by europeans after they go extinct near the ice age?...
Yes they were. But because they are not a native species does not mean that they are not a part of the American History, Culture, and Tradition.

There is another species that is not native to this continent, but if it had not been introduced, there would be no America as we know it. Much of this nation's resources goes to protecting this species, The European Caucasian.

hollow:

Yeah, I hear ya. They both have pros and cons like everybody else. Oh, well. Such differences make our nation strong.

Ben:

Brilliant. I love that statement about Caucasians! Great.

Say, I heard once that multiflora (that nasty thorny plant) was introduced by the Boys Scouts as a sort of cattle fence. Is this true or just myth?

Chris

namaarie said:
Say, I heard once that multiflora (that nasty thorny plant) was introduced by the Boys Scouts as a sort of cattle fence.

Enough now...you guys have *got* to stop using my name in vain around here...I'm not feeling a lot of love... :(

That is true about multiflora rose but I'm not sure about the Boyscout part. It was all over this place when we moved in but between all the goats we have and this virus rosy roseaces(sp) it is almost gone out of all our pastures. There's a little bit in that opening I planted bamboo in I had a pic of and that's about it;

Ben, That is Great News!!

Those animals need to be eaten instead of being destroyed.

Your Government has eliminated many of them in some places where the eco system simply cannot stand them. The Environmentalists want them out too.

Who knows? If feeding the Japanese or other nations wild horse and burro burgers becomes profitable, we may see some herds of cattle decline.

munk

There is another species that is not native to this continent, but if it had not been introduced, there would be no America as we know it. Much of this nation's resources goes to protecting this species, The European Caucasian.>>>> Ben

I don't think other nations are going to want to eat us for burgers, Ben.
At any rate, there are no 'native' Americans, if you go back far enough.

munk

Back