T.R.E. Three Rapid Exchange LionSTEEL

Well, I just mailed mine off Saturday for a replacement. It seems like RamZar got his pretty quickly, and without any issues. Hopefully my return goes that smoothly. It's set to be delivered on Monday, which is tomorrow. Now I guess all I have to do is wait...

So, I've had my two replacement TI Blue and CF models now for two days.

CF

The CF one has one of the best CF scales since it has great texture for a good grip. Nice blade overall but I prefer the satin to the stonewashed.

The lock would seem to stick but it was just a matter of opening and closing about 50 times. The blade would go off-center after 30+ flips so I've used the torx bit it comes with to center it. May have to add a drop of blue loctite if it persists.

Flipper action is better but not as good as the G-10 model.

After installing the thumb disc I got it pretty smooth but not as smooth as my original one.

TI BLUE

Pretty much as above except no issues with blade going off-center.

However, like Flash900 I encountered a point when it would no longer flip!

I disassembled it. This time removing the clip was a bitch! Also, removing one side of the frame takes some force. On the good side the whole frame is extremely solid almost like a solid integral frame. Anyway, I inspected everything and cleaned the oil build up. The caged bearings are in a steel case so they should last a long time. Put it back together and again the clip is a tough one.

Once assembled it still had the same issue in that it would not flip. It was like it was dragging. Added a drop of nanolube to the detent ball and slowly moved the blade back and forth. Now, it's great. Seems like the detent ball is the culprit.

Anyway, so far so good. Good compromise of flipper action and thumb disc opening. Definitely, a better flipper action. Retention is good and not like my old one where the blade would open fairly easily with a flick.

I'd love to see a full titanium model that's flipper only and tuned for as good or even better action like the G-10 model.

So, I've had my two replacement TI Blue and CF models now for two days.

CF

The CF one has one of the best CF scales since it has great texture for a good grip. Nice blade overall but I prefer the satin to the stonewashed.

The lock would seem to stick but it was just a matter of opening and closing about 50 times. The blade would go off-center after 30+ flips so I've used the torx bit it comes with to center it. May have to add a drop of blue loctite if it persists.

Flipper action is better but not as good as the G-10 model.

After installing the thumb disc I got it pretty smooth but not as smooth as my original one.

TI BLUE

Pretty much as above except no issues with blade going off-center.

However, like Flash900 I encountered a point when it would no longer flip!

I disassembled it. This time removing the clip was a bitch! Also, removing one side of the frame takes some force. On the good side the whole frame is extremely solid almost like a solid integral frame. Anyway, I inspected everything and cleaned the oil build up. The caged bearings are in a steel case so they should last a long time. Put it back together and again the clip is a tough one.

Once assembled it still had the same issue in that it would not flip. It was like it was dragging. Added a drop of nanolube to the detent ball and slowly moved the blade back and forth. Now, it's great. Seems like the detent ball is the culprit.

Anyway, so far so good. Good compromise of flipper action and thumb disc opening. Definitely, a better flipper action. Retention is good and not like my old one where the blade would open fairly easily with a flick.

I'd love to see a full titanium model that's flipper only and tuned for as good or even better action like the G-10 model.

Oh good grief!

Just got a new camera so here are some updated shot of my orange TRE.

Oh good grief!

Not really.

I'd say if the flipper action drags just put a drop of nano-oil on the detent ball. No need to disassemble.

I had to add a drop of blue loctite to the CF one to hold the blade in place.

Other than that I'm happy now with no issues.

Not really.

I'd say if the flipper action drags just put a drop of nano-oil on the detent ball. No need to disassemble.

Thanks, Ram.

Been there and done that. That's why I sent mine in. It better not come back that way.

Thanks, Ram.

Been there and done that. That's why I sent mine in. It better not come back that way.

If you added a drop of nano-oil on the detent and it was still subpar in flipper performance perhaps something got stuck in there.

This time around I had almost exactly the same experience you had and the solution was just a drop of nano-oil on the detent. Of course, if it continues to drag later add another drop.

A drop of oil helps -- temporarily.

Then the sluggishness returns so I add another drop.

Then it returns in less than a day, so I was adding oil daily.

This is not a lubrication issue -- it's a QC and tolerance problem. No one who buys a $300 knife should have to put up with this.

Hopefully, LS will find the problem and fix it. Or they can replace it with one that flips freely. If they cannot, that would be proof there's a QC issue in the manufacturing.

A drop of oil helps -- temporarily.

Then the sluggishness returns so I add another drop.

Then it returns in less than a day, so I was adding oil daily.

This is not a lubrication issue -- it's a QC and tolerance problem. No one who buys a $300 knife should have to put up with this.

Hopefully, LS will find the problem and fix it. Or they can replace it with one that flips freely. If they cannot, that would be proof there's a QC issue in the manufacturing.

You're talking about the one you returned.

For the replacement, I recommend one drop of nano-oil on the detent only. Work the blade back and forth about 20 times and then start flipping it.

The whole detent/retention issue on the models with TRE is a compromise. You can't fully satisfy both the flipper and thumb disc opening parties. Knowing this, I'm now happy with both the CF & TI. As a standalone flipper the G-10 model can't be beat.

Fq55, you've finally turned me...between the detent issues, the sexy orange color and my constant flipper lust, I'm going to just go with the G10 version, swedgelessness be damned. Best place to buy from that has them in stock now and ships quick?

Fq55, you've finally turned me...between the detent issues, the sexy orange color and my constant flipper lust, I'm going to just go with the G10 version, swedgelessness be damned. Best place to buy from that has them in stock now and ships quick?

Knifecenter. Got my g10 version and i love it. My new favorite knife. Flips great. I chose priority shipping and got it the 3rd day after ordering.

Knifecenter. Got my g10 version and i love it. My new favorite knife. Flips great. I chose priority shipping and got it the 3rd day after ordering.

I'd be cool with that, I like Knifecenter...but they don't have a listing for the orange one. Any other ideas? :/

Craig - Try bladeswelove on ebay. If you're lucky he still has an orange or two left. He's also the best dealer I've dealt with online bar none.

I agree with Flash 100% For a $300 knife, these problems shouldn't exist. However, I feel like I'm the only person who has a full titatnium with a flipper that's better than my orange g10. Granted I had to do it myself, but my Ti flips beautifully now, and I didn't have to send it to Italy. It took a power drill and a 1mm bit. Look, if you send it to LS, things may get marginally better, but doing it myself was the best decision I made. I keep my pivot screw tight, and still the flipping action is now better than the g10 which is easily the best stock flipper. You have to get the detent deep enough that the lock bar is flush with the blade when it's closed. if there's even the tiniest bit of space, your flip will be less than ideal. I drilled straight down into the detent until the ball went inside far enough to the point that the lock bar was fully flat up against the blade when closed. It's a bitch to open with the thumb stud, but now it flips like a mini zt. The 1mm bit is the perfect size for the detent as it won't remove or shave any steel from the sides. It will simply deepen the existing hole. If you've done everything including sending it to LS and aren't happy with the action. Take my word for it. Do it yourself.

PS - I haven't had to use a single drop of lube and they feel like baby kvt flippers.

I bailed on my tre purchase and picked up a another brand flipper in the G10 version price range. Going to keep monitoring the thread for updates though.

Does the G10 version have a liner embedded in the G10 or is it just sold G10 as on the Dpx HEAT? Same question for the carbon fiber version.

Glad to hear it. I've been really enjoying this little knife. I got mine from Lamnia in Finland for way under $200. Not sure how the exchange rate is now though. They are a BF Dealer and were very responsive. Shipping took like 6 days.

Back