T.R.E. Three Rapid Exchange LionSTEEL

Hello Gianni, how do you push out the screw from the opposite side of the clip?

Success! You need to push out the clip. I used a Fisher pen cartridge. You can also install it on the opposite side. I added a drop of nanolube for easier insertion/extraction. Just like sex! :)

Can anyone do me a solid and throw up a photo of the g10 against a small sebenza?

Can anyone do me a solid and throw up a photo of the g10 against a small sebenza?

I1yn9sc.jpg

My replacement TRE folders got shipped today from Italy via FedEx International Priority and they're due in on Friday morning. I'll report back then.

I received my TRE yesterday. I was honestly shocked at how small and light it is (not in a bad way). This is a nice blade in a small package. The CF decreases the weight even more, and with a lot of ppl comparing the size to a small Sebenza, I can tell you it weighs about half as much as a Sebbie.

With the the thumb stud attached this thing flicks open better and faster than most flippers out there. I mean this thing is almost recklessly fast. With the goal being to have a flipper that still was functional to open with the thumb disk, they beyond exceeded.

That being said... the Flipper is abysmal. Truly. And i hate to say anything negative about this knife, and I love what LionSteel has to bring to the game.
Now it could be just mine, but the flipping action is "I want to return the knife bad". THAT BAD.

However, the thumb disc saves it. I HATE thumb disks. of all deployment methods they are my least favorite. But the thumb disk on this blade is unique, more ergonomic, its not tacky; it saves this knife. I know Gianni and co are letting you return the knives to have the detent ball changed and the knife adjusted... but i may just opt for a G10 and keep this one Thumb Disk solo.

A different perspective to some of the other reviews being said, but wanted some people who might be dismissing this blade from the detent issues to maybe look at it from another angle. The Thumb disk angle.

I want to preface this by saying I'm not being paid by LS to say this, I havent been bribed, nor has my Italian heritage suaded me to say the following:

I've had my blade for about a week now; its been my constant companion and after a rough first few dates I wanted to report the following... I'M IN LOVE!!

Seriously... this is a sweet sweet blade. I have the CF version and the weight is perfect. Perfect for Jeans, Shorts, Slacks, hell i've clipped this on the my basketball shorts and have gone jogging. Cant feel its there. The size is great in hand (right up there with a small Sebbie) and is what i would say in the "non threatening" category, if you have to concern yourself with the sheeple.

Deployment. Like i said, a rough few days. I've been flicking that bean non stop for the last few days and i've finally got it down to zero failure everytime. I didnt need to use additional lubricant or take it apart or anything. Just wore it in a little, and a small pivot adjustment. My blade is still dead center and this baby flies out like a dream. Is it the fastest flipper out there? No, but its not meant to be. The thumb disk? I've still got it on there cuz its just as fun to reach up there and flip it out with the thumb stud. But i absolutely LOVE that even with an IKBS bearing your can deploys this blade with a smooth Sebenza like opening without the blade just flinging out there. This blade is just flat out fun but also with some sophistication. If the TRE were a Car its a BMW M3. Its not a Ferrarri, its not a Bentley, Its not a Rolls or a Bugatti. But this blade is Fast, Elegant, Sharp, and a damn pleasure to "drive".

Gianni and Co, I was wrong for the negativity of my original review. BF members, I was dead wrong if I mislead anyone. Get a TRE. Go for the CF or the Ti. And most of all if you have one... give your TRE some time and patience. I think you will get the same results I have.

I'm not sure I understand, Dcaggie...are you saying with time the detent got stronger? I'm understanding your initial comments to be that the flipping action was poor due to the weak detent, so how would it have gotten better with time and/or wear?

Mine didn't get any better no matter how many times I flipped it. If anything it just go more and more frustrating. I had to take matters into my own hands. At first I was simply going to switch out the lock side scale with my G10 model after reading on here that the detent ball was larger. False. They are the exact same size. You don't even have to take the knife apart to see this. The detent ball portion can be removed by unscrewing the part from the lock bar. After seeing the G10 and Ti were identical as far as size and amount of protrusion; I said the heck with it, and broke out the power tool. I have some really small bits, and my 1mm bit seemed to be a perfect fit. Any smaller and it had some give around the edges, any larger and there would be metal shaved off the sides of the hole. I only needed to deepen it without affecting the diameter of the hole at all. At this point I obviously didn't care about warranties or the like, as my flipping was less than 50% successful without wrist action, and I didn't want the G10 blade on my full Ti version. (I like the look of the swedge and the thumb stud, and switching out the ball from the lock bars made no difference.) I went to town with the drill so that the hole was the same depth as the G10 blade, and now they flip like they were the same knife. If you have both versions and like the G10 blade better, all you have to do is swap it out. If you want to keep the blade as is; swedge, thumb stud and all, the only way to make it work is to increase the retention ala deepening of the catch. If you have any kind of patience whatsoever; send it in to LionSteel and have the pros do it. If you're an impatient idiot like me who needs everything done now now now; a 1mm titanium bit and a power drill will do the trick. My bigger gripe is how easily the screw heads were stripping when I was doing regular disassembly and reassembly for cleaning and lubing (and I ALWAYS make sure the tool is flush inside and all the way down) Now my Ti in gray flips like my orang G10. All they have to do now is make a white or slightly off white G10 and it's game over.

I'm not sure I understand, Dcaggie...are you saying with time the detent got stronger? I'm understanding your initial comments to be that the flipping action was poor due to the weak detent, so how would it have gotten better with time and/or wear?

Well i never specifically blamed the detent on the "abysmal" flipping action (however that is the general consensus), all I can attest to with MY knife (now it could be mine... I did have to wait quite a bit longer to get mine from KC so maybe i have the larger detent ball) is that after adjusting the pivot some and fiddling around with HOW to hit the flipper I have come to realize that the flipping action is not as "abysmal" as I first stated. The point of my post was just to state that after a week of having the knife my opinion on the flipping action that is causing many to avoid the CF or Ti versions Is actually quite nice. Again, its not the best flipper in the world, and i do prefer the disk for a super fast flick opening, but the flipping action isn't that bad. I've had worse in fact. To bottom line it, when if first got the knife i was looking at a 80-75% failure to open all the way with the flipper. I was light switching it, pushing it, etc. It required a wrist flip to open it; period. I loosened the pivot some, but only to the point that my blade was still centered, and I experimented with the way i was pushing on the flipper. Now im basically at 0% failure. YMMV.

BTW... i love your avatar

My bigger gripe is how easily the screw heads were stripping when I was doing regular disassembly and reassembly for cleaning and lubing (and I ALWAYS make sure the tool is flush inside and all the way down) .

I too have had issues with the 3 screws that hold the slabs together where the screw head is stripping out!!! The tiny T6 head will strip out no matter how careful you are (& I use Wiha torx bits!)

Gianni, how can we order replacement screws for the T.R.E.? (these screws are not provided as extras in the wood box)

Hello Gianni, how do you push out the screw from the opposite side of the clip?

I used a cotton Q-tip and a lot of force. One thing that I think could be done better is finding a way to be able to fit the screw and pin back on without the clip. I personally like the knife a lot more clipless.

Other than that the knife has been perfect.

Love the look of the T.R.E. It is on my short list. The issues that some seem to be having are a little discouraging though. Not gonna stop me from giving one a shot.

Received both my TRE TI Blue and CF replacements direct from LionSteel in Italy today.

Retention is definitely stronger than the ones I had. I can't snap the blade out so happy it'll stay closed.

The flipper action is definitely and noticeably better but the G-10 model is still best for flipper action.

I installed the thumb disc on both and it's not as smooth as it was before.

It's a good compromise for both the flipper action and thumb disc opening.

Happy so far. Will report back after I play with and carry them this weekend.

One other change I've noticed is that my original G-10 and TI Blue models direct from LionSteel delivered on June 8th both had satin blades.

However, my replacement TI Blue has a stonewashed blade as does my CF one! I like LionSteel's satin much better compared to their stonewashing. I kept cleaning my replacement TI & CF models thinking they were dirty! The LionSteel stonewashing is not like the other stonewashing I'm used to. Also, there's a 2mm square scratch on the blade of the TI near the tip. Not worried too much since I'll be using it.

The more I read, the more I wonder about the QC and tolerances on the LS TREs.

The action on my Ti got worse and worse the more I used it. Not only would it not flip, it was even sluggish just to open. I finally reluctantly returned it and am awaiting an exchange.

Back