Tactical Hawk Comparison Old vs New

I have a stealth hawk on the way, partially for concealed carry, which shoulder strap do you have? I've been looking for something like that. Do you maybe have a picture of you wearing it with the axe?

Cheers.

- Senserazer

img5147f.jpg

It’s a strap form one of my Maxpedition bags.

Hey Edwood, what would you say you look more most in a defensive/breaching tomahawk? Also, do you breach or use it defensively more, and how do you use it to breach?

img5147f.jpg

It’s a strap form one of my Maxpedition bags.

Looks great, might want something in the style of a pistol shoulder holster though, so it's not visible in the front, if you know what I mean?
I can see the bungee cord releases towards your body, is that a problem? I'm thinking both when deploying it an re-sheathing it.

Cheers!

- Senserazer

I only have 5 knives and 2 hawks. I study what I'm going to buy and if its not going to be used I won't get it. Just control the impulse buying.

Hahaha! That is me exactly! I don't buy a lot of cheap stuff, but then I fall in love with some big expensive item that I just HAVE TO HAVE. Has resulted in crazy expensive custom EDC foler, bullet/stab resistent vest (Goldflex Level II with stab resistent inlays) and latest the Winkler Stealth Axe... Oh boy... :D

Hahaha! That is me exactly! I don't buy a lot of cheap stuff, but then I fall in love with some big expensive item that I just HAVE TO HAVE. Has resulted in crazy expensive custom EDC foler, bullet/stab resistent vest (Goldflex Level II with stab resistent inlays) and latest the Winkler Stealth Axe... Oh boy... :D

edcrotation1.jpg

razorcoleccion.jpg

It’s getting worse every day.

Hey Edwood, what would you say you look more most in a defensive/breaching tomahawk? Also, do you breach or use it defensively more, and how do you use it to breach?

Most houses and doors down the bad parts were we work are made of cheap play wood, the hawk can make a hole through it fast. Braking windows and raking the glass out is also easy with the hawk.

We sometimes find large marijuana and opium plantations up in the mountains, which are irrigated by plastic tubing and a few water pumping systems. If we can’t destroy or take all of the equipment at plantation, I use my hawk to chop up the irrigation lines, puncture the fuel drums they have for the gas powered electrical pumps, and mess up any other useful thing they have there.

When I choose a hatchet I look for a balance between tool and weapon and being able to carry it without adding to much weight or taking up too much space on my vest (weight is a factor when up in the mountains or jumping in and out of helicopters)
Using it as a weapon is a very rare thing, using it as a tool is most of what I use it for. But if for some reason you need to put someone fast and a fire arm is not an option, a strike from a tomahawk is devastating.

The psychological effect of seeing someone with a hatchet in hand also make people back of, something I found out some time back during a very bad time I had in a hell hole down here.

vest.jpg

Most houses and doors down the bad parts were we work are made of cheap play wood, the hawk can make a hole through it fast. Braking windows and raking the glass out is also easy with the hawk.

We sometimes find large marijuana and opium plantations up in the mountains, which are irrigated by plastic tubing and a few water pumping systems. If we can’t destroy or take all of the equipment at plantation, I use my hawk to chop up the irrigation lines, puncture the fuel drums they have for the gas powered electrical pumps, and mess up any other useful thing they have there.

When I choose a hatchet I look for a balance between tool and weapon and being able to carry it without adding to much weight or taking up too much space on my vest (weight is a factor when up in the mountains or jumping in and out of helicopters)
Using it as a weapon is a very rare thing, using it as a tool is most of what I use it for. But if for some reason you need to put someone fast and a fire arm is not an option, a strike from a tomahawk is devastating.

The psychological effect of seeing someone with a hatchet in hand also make people back of, something I found out some time back during a very bad time I had in a hell hole down here.

vest.jpg

Thanks! Man, do I want one of those RMJ hawks, looks like I'll be saving/Buying a gold membership so I can sell some stuff to fund one!

That's exactly what I have found to be the case whit similar handel designs, that is what I really love about the Winkler combat axe, a fast turn of the handel and you change from blade to spike.

That could be a split second decision when placed in a combat situation. You might realize that your target has some sort of body armor or helmet, in this case a spike will be more effective at making a deep penetrating strike that the blade head would not.

I wonder what stopping affect a hammer strike to the center body mas area can have?

What I would look for in a strike in this situation, would be to stop an enemy combatant fast, that means targeting the head and neck area and possibly the exposed sides of the body. The legs are also a good target of opportunity if you have sufficient space. I know a hammer would be ideal for a knee strike.

I'm ranting. Sorry.

For those of you looking for a hammer with spike, anyone given any thought to something as simple as a rock hammer. The type a geologist uses.
It's nothing sexy with some of the cutting edges that you're pointing at but as an impact weapon it certainly has some promise.
31RZH19J2AL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Estwing-E30-Leather-Grip-Pointed/dp/B0002YWWVE/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

Pretty damn cheap too.

For those of you looking for a hammer with spike, anyone given any thought to something as simple as a rock hammer. The type a geologist uses.
It's nothing sexy with some of the cutting edges that you're pointing at but as an impact weapon it certainly has some promise.
31RZH19J2AL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Estwing-E30-Leather-Grip-Pointed/dp/B0002YWWVE/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

Pretty damn cheap too.

I was actually looking at buying one and doing some mods to it. stonewash it, and modify the hammer face and spike slightly.

Given the price, it would be a fairly cheap experiment.

Yep. I'd probably turn the hammer face into something reminiscent of the medieval warhammers, and shorten and sharpen the spike to make it more compact. Then maybe remove the rubber grip and give it something more durable that extends the whole length.

VolundoftheForge,

The hawk that Ed has next to his vest is a Tracker Dan's GreyMatter.
Oh, I know. I like that one as well. After I get the RMJ and want to upgrade I may go that direction since I'm not sure I'll ever be able to put $850 into a hawk. I'll get one somehow..(legally of course ;) ).

Hehe :D I suppose you still use them on yourself, legally? ;) As long as you don't kill yourself...suicide is a crime. :p

Back