1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Talk Me Into Buying A Busse

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by abey67, Oct 1, 2017.

1. BenL

BenL Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 18, 2012
    I really like littlehoot's analogy from another thread; I quote this constantly:

Also, here's the lawnmower incident: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/a-riddle-of-steel.1499013/

dogboye, the knife-runner-over, wasn't actively seeking a warranty claim for repair or replacement, but then Garth chimed in and simply said "Send that Deere slayer in."

I mean, you can't beat that level of service.

As for personal experience, I had a very, very slight issue with a custom shop piece (a tiny piece of liner material pulled out when I was wiping down the scales) and Jerry Busse responded on a Sunday night (a Sunday!) and gave me the option of sending it in or repairing it myself--he walked me through the simple repair and all was well. Then he issued me a small shop credit for the hassle. Hassle? There was no hassle, but that's how much of a stand-up guy he is and how they handle things. After that I can't speak highly enough of the Boss and the company's customer service.

Ickythump and PA Trout like this.
  2. BenL

BenL Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 18, 2012
    Really you should change the thread title to "Talk Me OUT OF Buying a Busse". Even then you'd get the same response. Just nonstop enabling around here.

3. Jake1911

Jake1911 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 27, 2016
    Do it!
    Bought an SOS last year and now I have like 8 Busse/kin I think, they stand up to the reputation!
    Even the strange looking Pork Chop I got in my Grab bag is a keeper, feels great in hand

ScoMa likes this.
  4. F'lar

F'lar Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 3, 2016
    I did warn him, best I can do. :D

5. hlee

hlee

Dec 5, 2005
    I've got about a dozen Busse blades, but haven't bought one since the SAR5 was released, so take this for what you paid for it. Busse knives are dead sexy. Some are very useful, though many makes say "why?" I've never used the warranty, but you can't argue with "no questions asked." None of the knives I have received were particularly sharp, as the edge bevels are very obtuse. This may have been remedied in the past years, but I don't know. With a more acute edge bevel, INFI takes and holds a very good edge. But, while it may be great steel (better than many and arguably "the best" compromise of durability and performance), it is not a super-steel. You cannot take it beyond the limits of rationality and expect a positive outcome. There was a member, years ago, that was known for taking blades beyond the edge of sanity in terms of edge angle- think single digit grind angles. He reported rippling, rolling, and edge tear-out with modest use. Nothing you wouldn't expect when trying to cut with steel foil. To my way of thinking, Busse blades tend to have excessively large ricassos. The giant choils eat up real estate that could be sharpened edge. The guard with talon hole keeps your hand well away from the edge. That's a plus for safety but a minus for detail work. They don't come with a sheath. The coatings seem to be accost saving measure to hide/protect blades with sometimes very rough grinding/finishing. The Busse faithful are a rabid lot, and buying a Busse knife is almost a no-loss proposition. If you buy a blade you decide you don't like, you should be able to get what you paid for it by selling it here on the forum.

LadyEarth and Jake1911 like this.
  6. resinguy

resinguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Can't say that there is much to argue with here. I will almost always reprofile the edge of any new Bussekin, but that does not take anything away from the quality of the steel, the HT, and the warranty.

You got some good advice above. Tell us what you would like a knife to do; size, function, tasks, etc, and then we can better help you find some appropriate options.

You need to understand that there is no catalog of all the various models available to order on demand. Busse is not Lands End. Lately, they offer a new blade on Wednesday at 9pm EST, and it is sold out in a few days, with delivery some many weeks in the future. The extensive range of previous offerings can only be had on the resale market, either here on the Busse for Sale Forum or eBay. Be very careful on eBay, some sellers are asking outrageously high prices. Do your homework on prices. You cannot ask here about prices ubtil you upgrade to Gold level.

Good luck, the chase is part of the fun!

7. hydeinmind

hydeinmind Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Not to mention made in the USA! You know, like all the best shyt used to be? Made in America by Americans well, that means more now then it used to thats for sure! How often is the best product on the market still USA made? Not often. Busse still is! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

ScoMa likes this.
  8. Murman

Murman Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 11, 2015
    They even cover stupid. There was an ad in a knife magazine with Jerry's letter. They repaired a knife under warranty from a guy who shot at his knife with an effing rifle. That's a no BS warranty.

ScoMa likes this.
  9. StealthCaliber

StealthCaliber Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2006
    poor bastard thinks he can get just 1 ? that's like buying a stock ar-15 and never adding any aftermarket accessory, or downloading a complete season of a show and watching just 1 episode a week.

Jake1911 and Murman like this.
  10. littlehoot

littlehoot Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 7, 2015
    You guys need to take this man's example and quote me more often!:)

The customer service keeps me coming back.

That, and Shaley is a Bama fan

11. facehugger

facehugger Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 25, 2013
    Well, dear threadmaster:
    Your question cant be answeared by words - if you hold your first Busse Knife in your hands, all your questions will be anseared.
    At least you will only have one question left, which no one can answear: why did i hestiate?

About 12-24 months after bought your first Busse you'll have a money- and storageproblem as you get infected by bussevirus and collect them, use them, enjoy them!

12. jakob.k

jakob.k

Sep 28, 2016
    But why should we talk you into buying a Busse?
    There is enough proof about the superior performance.

If you want, I will share my personal opinion and story of my friendship with Busse knives and I collected many other brands before I luckily got to know Busse Combat.

13. dug24

dug24

Jan 21, 2014
    HOGB8 coming!!

14. zombieassassin

zombieassassin Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Of the thousands of reasons to get a Busse,
    All are true. Before Busse I had a hard time spending over 150-200 bucks on a blade.
    Now this... Resized_20171011_103734.jpg
    All I want is more INFI. Hope this helps.

F'lar likes this.
  15. littlehoot

Mar 7, 2015
    But the cell phone deserved it...

16. Snakebreaker

Snakebreaker

Feb 7, 2013
    My new phone watched as I did it.

It doesn't give me any problems.

17. littlehoot

Mar 7, 2015

I bet!

18. MADDMAN

MADDMAN Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Honestly... if you're asking, then you probably already know why.

lex2006 likes this.
  19. Spirch

Spirch

Apr 4, 2012
    Hello, my name is Spirch and i'm starting to be an addict, got 8 and 2 more are coming soon.

I dont know how to stop.

Can you help me .... Get more?

20. facehugger

facehugger Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 25, 2013
    Theres only one thing to pay attention before buying the first busse knife for the near future:
    Is your wife and you accustomed to live from water and bread?