1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Tell Me What To Do Brothers And Sisters

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by RiverRat84, Sep 26, 2012.

1. RiverRat84

RiverRat84 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Recently (less then an hour ago) purchased a Wilson Combat startac Umnumzaan. The old version guys, the old version.

I scotch brited my current Umnumzaan and was thinking of doing the same with this one, but do I want two Umnumzaans that have a null and void warranty?

Anyway, if your thinking this is a useless thread, your probably right, but I'm so excited to get this I thought you guys could help me pass the time...

So tell me what to do!:D

2. vininull

vininull

May 29, 2012
    Why it has to void a warranty? Anyway if you'll need a warranty repair it'll probably be due to something other that scales surface...

3. RiverRat84

Sep 21, 2011
    Any modification not done by CRK voids the warranty. Not worried about the scales, if anything happens to it i.e. blade snaps or whatever it won't be under warranty because I scotch brited the scales...savy?

4. JPD1998

JPD1998 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 18, 2004
    I'm not much for modifying anything from its original condition. But that's just me.
    If the handle slabs smooth out from regular use, I'm ok with that. But I wouldn't scrub away the original finish.
    So I'd say leave the new one as is.

5. vininull

vininull

May 29, 2012
    Wow, scales modification void the warranty on the rest of the knife.... Why?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  6. Haze

Haze

Aug 2, 2004
    Do you really need to have that one explained to you ?

7. vininull

vininull

May 29, 2012
    Yes I do actually! Please explain me how do scotch bright finish on scales could cause any blade or lock failure?

8. lisantica

lisantica Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 17, 2010
    RR84, I'm thinking that you may want to keep it original until you decide if it's going to be a keeper or not. It will likely be easier to sell if it has the full warranty in tact.

9. lisantica

lisantica Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Scotch bright treatment doesn't cause blade or lock failure as you realize, but it falls under the "modification" to the original design that I think a lot of makers frown upon.....because the "mods" become very subjective and blur the line of "original" product that they happily offer warranty for.

10. RiverRat84

Sep 21, 2011
    I was thinking along those lines, but man I love to tinker!:D

Say someone does a "simple" mod. Say this person isn't so bright, the type of person that we can thank for having Warning Coffee Is Hot! labels. With me? Ok. So say this person messes up big time through their own stupidity. Well he calls up CRK and raises hell, blames them, demands they replace that $400+ knife that he seems to forget that he jacked up.

Say there are several people like this. Does that do much for the profit of a business? No, I think not. So what that business does is institute guidelines in attempt to stay afloat and hey, maybe even thrive.

That's why they say "listen boys and girls, don't mess with your pretty knife because we aren't going to just hand out another..."

Dig now?

Yes, yes he does.

11. RiverRat84

Sep 21, 2011
    Look at post #3, I already tried explaining it that way...

12. Haze

Haze

Aug 2, 2004
    I can only assume you're being intentionally obtuse so I'm not even going to humour you...

13. vininull

vininull

May 29, 2012
    I am 100% serious about this exact case so you are free to humour, I don't mind. But please also be kind explain me a reason why scotch bright finish void the warranty?

14. Over Kill

Over Kill Banned BANNED

Jul 7, 2010
    Keep it original. If you blade gets messed up just switch it to tge non scotch bright scales and send it in!

15. RiverRat84

Sep 21, 2011
    Good idea!

I think i'll go ahead and leave the scales be:thumbup:

16. dinokay

dinokay Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 9, 2007
    As a collector you'll need to keep it as is but if it's going to be a user, do what ever makes you happy with the scales, you'll never really need the warranty.

17. RiverRat84

Sep 21, 2011
    Ok after this I agree with Haze. My apologies, but you genuinely have to be putting forth a grand amount of effort to not be getting this.

My day has barley started and my head hurts:crushed:

18. vininull

vininull

May 29, 2012

I understand what you are trying to say. You saying that there are stupid people who might do a very complicated mods which will lead to knife failure. OK, no problems.
    But what about normal users who just want to put a scotch bright finish? You think these people can also be threaten as a dumb-ass? Why do you consider a scotch bright as a mod at all???
    From my experience, the people who did a scotch brite finish are the real CRK fans and understand what they are doing and never screw up the knife. People who don't understand what is CRK never even think on doing scotch brite because they have no idea what is it.

19. RiverRat84

Sep 21, 2011
    Arrg! That makes sense too! I plan on using it and after x amount of CRK's I can tell the likelihood of using the warranty is pretty slim. Well, it's not even close to getting here so I have time to think on it. It will definitely not be resold if I scotch brite it though so that's a thing to consider.

20. RiverRat84

Sep 21, 2011
    Ok i'll try again because I have this silly need to explain things.

As a company that does as much business as CRK does it would take a grand amount of time combing through each individual scenario of did this person jack up their knife or does the warranty work fall on us. SO it's far easier to use blanket guidelines and forgo that time and energy and use it to, well, MAKE knives.

Keep in mind, if a rule has been put in place it's usually because someone has f'd up and the rule had to be instituted. Hence the "Warning Hot Coffee" example.

Is everyone that mods a knife an idiot? No, but there are enough out there to ruin it for the rest of us.

You can thank the extinction of the need of survival of the fittest for that. Now we're all equal and we all get to suffer.

Ain't progress great?;)