Tell Me What To Do Brothers And Sisters

I think rubbing down scales is a bit ridiculous also, but you have to see it from a company perspective. Even though its visual, a rule is a rule. A speed limit is a speed limit, you may go over all the time and be fine, but the one time a LEO is around is the time you should have obeyed the limit...

Ok i'll try again because I have this silly need to explain things.

As a company that does as much business as CRK does it would take a grand amount of time combing through each individual scenario of did this person jack up their knife or does the warranty work fall on us. SO it's far easier to use blanket guidelines and forgo that time and energy and use it to, well, MAKE knives.

Keep in mind, if a rule has been put in place it's usually because someone has f'd up and the rule had to be instituted. Hence the "Warning Hot Coffee" example.

Is everyone that mods a knife an idiot? No, but there are enough out there to ruin it for the rest of us.

You can thank the extinction of the need of survival of the fittest for that. Now we're all equal and we all get to suffer.

Ain't progress great?;)

I understand you my friend. Each one of us has different expectations from favorite brand.
So for me, when I buy a 400+$ folding knife and I am a true fan of this brand, I expect that each warranty case will be reviewed separately. That's what I am paying for along with high tolerances and quality.
By the way, I don't consider CRK as a mass production company (compared to a real mass production S[yderco,Benchmade etc...). Most of CRK clients are intelligent and knowing people and they deserve to be threaten accordingly.
Again, this is my personal expectations and I hope one day it will be this way.

I think rubbing down scales is a bit ridiculous also, but you have to see it from a company perspective. Even though its visual, a rule is a rule. A speed limit is a speed limit, you may go over all the time and be fine, but the one time a LEO is around is the time you should have obeyed the limit...

It is too strict limit in my opinion. You definitely can see a difference in scotch brite vs. deep modification of the knife. Even on speed limits there are around 10% extra tolerance.

keep it original, and sell it to me later :p hahhaa

it does suck when one of those what if moments happen, but then sometimes they never do :/ if you've got one done, keep the other undone?

There's a picture around of a StarTac Umumzaan with the rays scotch brited and it looks like the rising sun. It looked really nice. The rays might even have been anodized a golden hue?

It's yours, there's nothing inherintly collectable about a production product so customize it and put your mark on it.

I understand you my friend. Each one of us has different expectations from favorite brand.
So for me, when I buy a 400+$ folding knife and I am a true fan of this brand, I expect that each warranty case will be reviewed separately. That's what I am paying for along with high tolerances and quality.
By the way, I don't consider CRK as a mass production company (compared to a real mass production S[yderco,Benchmade etc...). Most of CRK clients are intelligent and knowing people and they deserve to be threaten accordingly.
Again, this is my personal expectations and I hope one day it will be this way.

Fair enough:thumbup:

Keep in mind I'm no expert nor am I a CRK employee so it's always best to shoot them an email prior to any tinkering.

김원진;11330444 said:
keep it original, and sell it to me later :p hahhaa

it does suck when one of those what if moments happen, but then sometimes they never do :/ if you've got one done, keep the other undone?

That's an option aswell. I'm grateful to have this conundrum!

There's a picture around of a StarTac Umumzaan with the rays scotch brited and it looks like the rising sun. It looked really nice. The rays might even have been anodized a golden hue?

It's yours, there's nothing inherintly collectable about a production product so customize it and put your mark on it.

I know the picture your talking about. That's the same one that gave me the impulse to scotchbrite my first Umnumzaan. I think it looks beautiful and with the milling it doesn't take away from the grippy feel of it.

Maybe scotcbrite this one too and buy the new Startac Umnumzaan with the new pivot and keep that original? :p

I don't know if this is only in the automotive industry, but by law, if you take your car in for warranty work on the air conditioning system, the dealership can't tell you your warranty is voided because you swapped the air filter, or "moded" your wheels and tires. Unless they can somehow prove that these modifications were the cause of the air conditioning problems. (I can't remember where I read or heard this)

It is too strict limit in my opinion. You definitely can see a difference in scotch brite vs. deep modification of the knife. Even on speed limits there are around 10% extra tolerance.

I totally disagree that scotch briting scales should kill a warranty. But I see and respect why. Rubbing on rough jeans daily effects finish but doesn't void warranty. It's just something you have to respect and understand.

Hrm, i thought i remember that thread going in the direction that it did not void warranty? Maybe not, all it is, is basically accelerating the wear process. A simple reblasting would fix the problem, it is not like you are scotch brighting the inner scale.

Hold on a second this argument is way to assumptive and speculative. Laws are not rigid this is why we have courts, Chris Reeve and his staff are reasonable human beings. Obviously they are going to put language about any type of modification in their warranty to protect themselves from idiots and scammers. I bet if you scotch-brite finished a crk then had a legitimate warranty issue that could without-a-doubt have nothing to do with your mod, CRK would fix it.
Has anybody, in the history of CRK and the internet, complained about being denied warranty repair for a mod they believe to be inconsequential to the damage or flaw?
Sure CRK will confirm that this modification will void the warranty, and the impact to resale value is certain as I'm sure many people would not want to take this risk.
But logic, reason, and rhetoric exist...

I'm just conveying information I've come across along the way in my own experience.

Things vary. That's life.

The jist of my reply from CRK is if the crisp lines of the knife are compromised from scotch brighting then they won't touch it.

Basically do it up, but do it up at your own risk.

I have modified my Large Sebenza handles by scotch-briting, stonewashing, anodizing to bronze, blue, and the latest, sandblasting and oxy-clean oxidizing back to the original color. The sandblasting is smoother than the bead blasting but I'm sure that if I got it bead blasted I could return it to it's original finish. If something ever happened to my blade or lock or pivot that required me to send it in then I would do this and send it in. CRK would not be able to tell at all that the knife handles were ever modified.

That being said - after all my mods, I think the original finish is the coolest. I've grown to appreciate the character marks that develop over time on the handles. My Les George VECP 1.0 has a very similar beadblasted finish and the marks and patina it has developed are really cool. The sandblasted finish I currently have is amazingly durable. Way more durable to the bead blasted finish. I even took my keys and tried hard to scratch the handle and it left no mark! So, now I'm thinking of getting it bead blasted locally and I will have come full circle.

My advice - leave your new Umnum be and enjoy it...

I don't know Maprik, a startac Umnumzaan would look pretty cool anodized bronze ;)by a certain forum member ...just sayin

Back