Terrasaur or Bushfinger?

I've been plotting my next Fiddleback, trying to narrow down a model to go after. I think for the next one I want to target a 4" model and thought I had my heart set on a Bushfinger but then Brian posted all those awesome pictures of his evergreen burlap Terrasaur which promptly threw a wrench in my plan. I haven't been able to stop thinking about that knife since the night I saw it.

I won't be able to get either of these models in hand before purchase so I'm going to rely on your feedback to help me make a decision. Intended use will be general woods bumming, light duty camp chores (possible food prep, making fire fixings, etc.) and I could see this knife tagging along on my whitetail hunts and seeing field dressing duties although I would put that as very much a secondary use.

Thoughts and feedback from those folks that have used both models would be greatly appreciated - bonus if you have used both and can do a little compare/contrast between the two models. Everyone likes pictures so now is your chance to show off either model. :D

The correct answer on which to buy is probably both but which should I get first...

I've been plotting my next Fiddleback, trying to narrow down a model to go after. I think for the next one I want to target a 4" model and thought I had my heart set on a Bushfinger but then Brian posted all those awesome pictures of his evergreen burlap Terrasaur which promptly threw a wrench in my plan. I haven't been able to stop thinking about that knife since the night I saw it. T

I won't be able to get either of these models in hand before purchase so I'm going to rely on your feedback to help me make a decision. Intended use will be general woods bumming, light duty camp chores (possible food prep, making fire fixings, etc.) and I could see this knife tagging along on my whitetail hunts and seeing field dressing duties although I would put that as very much a secondary use.

Thoughts and feedback from those folks that have used both models would be greatly appreciated - bonus if you have used both and can do a little compare/contrast between the two models. Everyone likes pictures so now is your chance to show off either model. :D

The correct answer on which to buy is probably both but which should I get first...

For what you describe as your intended uses, I would choose the Bushfinger

Kind of like this one...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I won't ever get tired of looking at that knife.

I was thinking that my next model would be either a Bushfinger, Terrasaur, or Recluse. I've since put a production Duke at the top of that list. It'll be a little bit before I get one, so I have time to change my mind.

TERRASAUR :tyrannosaurus::tyrannosaurus::tyrannosaurus::tyrannosaurus::tyrannosaurus::tyrannosaurus::tyrannosaurus::tyrannosaurus:

I don't want to further muddy the waters, but for what you describe I would use my Recluse.

I've never held a Terrasaur so I can't speak to the knife but I've had half a dozen Bushfingers and it's a greatly proven design and Fiddleback's signature knife for a reason. Everyone needs a Bushfinger or two...

My two favorites after a lot of searching and luck...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with ncrockclimb. I'd go with the Recluse... the most overlooked of the 4 inch models but the most versatile.

...and since we are just talking, if you take field dressing duties off the list I would say to look at the Bear Paw. This is just my opinion (and folks like Brian and Phil are a WHOLE lot more experienced and you should listen to them over me), but I think that the Bear Paw is the Scarlett Johansson of knives when it comes to wood work / bushcrafting.

...and since we are just talking, if you take field dressing duties off the list I would say to look at the Bear Paw. This is just my opinion (and folks like Brian and Phil are a WHOLE lot more experienced and you should listen to them over me), but I think that the Bear Paw is the Scarlett Johansson of knives when it comes to wood work / bushcrafting.

Oh, for me personally, since I do very little big game processing and do more small game and fish processing, I could definitely go with the Bear Paw, the Kephart, or the Bear Cup, all three are similar in geometry, just different sizes. I like pointy, and I can make pretty much any of them work for food prep. It was him listing big game and food prep as considerations, and being guardless the Bushfinger excels at the cutting board and with the belly for skinning and the pommel swell for hands that are slick with blood and tallow it is just a good choice for that as well.

Lot of good thoughts here and some great looking knives - thank you all for the input so far.

Phil - thanks for the link, I poured through that thread last night and while it didn't help me narrow it down, it did provide a bunch of insight into the various models. As you mentioned, it might have added a couple models to my "want" list. :D

ncrockclimb - I have definitely thought about the Recluse and if I was looking for a blade with more emphasis on using it for deer hunting that would probably be my first choice. I have had a little experience with one of the Bark River production version from a number of years back and I liked that knife.

I think I'm leaning back towards the Bushfinger, we will see.

Lot of good thoughts here and some great looking knives - thank you all for the input so far.

Phil - thanks for the link, I poured through that thread last night and while it didn't help me narrow it down, it did provide a bunch of insight into the various models. As you mentioned, it might have added a couple models to my "want" list. :D

ncrockclimb - I have definitely thought about the Recluse and if I was looking for a blade with more emphasis on using it for deer hunting that would probably be my first choice. I have had a little experience with one of the Bark River production version from a number of years back and I liked that knife.

I think I'm leaning back towards the Bushfinger, we will see.

You have been probably around here long enough to know this, so please forgive me for stating the obvious; decisions like this mostly come down to taste. I sincerely doubt if you will be unhappy with any Fiddleback, although you will find that you like some more than others. The Bushfinger is not one of my five favorite Fiddleback profiles (Woodsman, Duke, camp Nessie, Bear Paw and Recluse), but it is a stellar design. I would also bet that it is one of (if not THE) most popular knives Andy makes.

BTW, the Camp Nessie is a knife that doesn't get talked about a lot. The blade profile is obviously is very unique and has a great deal of historical significance. It seems that people either love it or hate it, and discussions about its aesthetics often overshadow the Nessie's functionality. IMHO, it is an awesome workhorse and great bushcraft tool that does a variety of tasks VERY well. Also, its blade length is 4.25" long and its edge profile is VERY similar the the Bushfinger... Just more food for thought as you decide what to buy next.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1345487-Camp-Nessie-Review

Good luck with your decision and keep us posted on what you decide.

No wrong choices here, but it might be easier to find a Bushfinger. The Recluse is slightly better for big game and is a bit more nimble, the Bushfinger is better with food prep. Grind and blade thickness is also a big factor.

Back