1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Testing Banner Ads - it's not a bug, it's me screwing things up

Discussion in 'Tech Support, General Q&A, Site Feedback & More' started by Spark, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Spark

Spark HPIC - Hatas gonna Hate Staff Member Administrator Super Mod Moderator

Oct 2, 1998
    I'm testing banner ads right now.

Paid members: Until testing is complete ads will display to everyone. I'm hoping to be able to get the filter for paid memberships working again after the tests are done.

Registered Users: More ads are going to show up. Enjoy!

Everyone, thanks for your support.

2. sheathmaker

sheathmaker Custom Leather Sheaths Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 18, 2005
    Yeah, I'm hoping you get the filter running again also. I've been either Platinum or Orange for a lot of years and I don't like the pop up ads for any reason.

Paul Long

3. CJZ

CJZ Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 18, 2012
    This sounds pretty whiney to me even though Spark explained exactly why he needed to turn off the ad filter. :thumbdn:

4. Mossyhorn

Mossyhorn Enlightened Rogue Platinum Member

Dec 6, 2009
    I'm not going to complain about a coupon code for $10.00 off of gun parts. It sounds like a deal to me.

5. tryppyr

tryppyr

Feb 5, 2010
    Whew... I thought my membership got pre-expired. ;)

6. Spark

Oct 2, 1998
    Wait, you are getting pop up ads?

Also you don't need to sign your name, your signature appears at the bottom of each post

7. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Since "Registered Users" contribute nothing monetarily to Blade Forums, why not eliminate them altogether. When the dust settles (say a month), see how many of them want to be here enough to become "Paid Members". After that, reinstate the "Registered Users" category and bombard that category with ads.

Just sayin

8. Spark

Oct 2, 1998
    I'd be more tempted to make everyone register to browse the forums, aka turn off browsing for most forums to non-registered users / people who aren't logged in.

Some people are just here for the conversation and that's fine - it's not my intention to twist people's arms into paying for a membership. On the contrary, if I could I'd make every aspect of this site free to everyone. But, unfortunately the bills are high and I'm not a multimillionaire so I have to do what I have to do.

9. Kohai999

Kohai999 Second Degree Cutter

Jul 15, 2003
    Paul Long is the best sheathmaker alive......who are you?

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

10. Zidfeldts

Zidfeldts

Dec 28, 2010
    The ads haven't really bothered me. To tell you the truth I didn't notice them for a while.

11. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Well Spark, I just renewed my Gold Membership for another two more years.

I only went for two years because I'm 70-years old and I'm not sure what my "experation date" will be. However, if it (my experation date) hasn't come by this time in 2016, I'll renew for another two years.

I only renewed for Gold because I'm not quick enough to figure out how to change my user group so we'll just have to leave it at Gold for now.

12. Esav Benyamin

Esav Benyamin MidniteSuperMod

Apr 6, 2000
    Paul is also one of the most generous and helpful members here.

13. Chris Larrikin

Chris Larrikin

Jul 19, 2012
    Thanks for letting us know what's going on Spark. Testing always means a little bit of disruption - it's no big deal. Unfortunately I suspect a bunch of people won't see this thread and will jump the conclusion that you've "sold out" and decided it's banner ads for all. I hope there's enough activity here to keep the thread in sight until testing is finished.
    Also, while I generally hate banner ads I don't mind how you've got these set up. They're not too intrusive and aren't locked in my view. That makes me happy.

Cheers

14. leghog

leghog

Aug 10, 2013
    Most of us would just go elsewhere.

I need not sell my knives, so I do not sell here. I have bought from individuals and dealers here though. I've also given a knife here and am about to give another too. I gladly participate and contribute here and elsewhere on the net but probably would never pay to do so anywhere on any forum on the net.

Just sayin

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  15. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Wish I could actually buy some of the stuff advertised! ;)

16. neeman

neeman Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 5, 2007
    If banners are what you need to make money
    then do what you have to do

The quality of the people on these forums and their responses will not change

17. bonzodog

bonzodog Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 3, 2011
    If the extra $ helps run the site so be it.

18. A.L.

A.L.

Jun 27, 2007
    I was bit shocked to see the adds after finally paying for gold membership lately. :D
    Best place to be in the internets. You do your thing Spark, and thanks for having this place for us! :thumbup:

19. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    i keep getting mcafee popping up saying...

we tested this page & blocked content that comes from potentially dangerous or susicious sites. allow this conten only if you're sure it comes from safe sites

is that from the ads?

20. Skrapmetal

Skrapmetal

Jul 13, 2009
    Had me worried that my membership expired.