THANKS "brand" Fixed Blade Collection

Crag the Brewer

I make Nice, boring knives
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Some time ago I asked about knives I liked, and what style they might be classified as. I posted pictures from various makers here, and other manufacturers....... I didn't really get any solid answers.

What I'm realizing is here on the forum, what I like is basically grouped as "Traditional".
Well, that's what I like...... I like knives that look like they could of been made at almost any time.
Was it made in the 1980's?
Maybe it was 1960? Or how about 1939, idk?

I like wood, leather, some plastics and rubber. Especially if the micarta is Vintage. I hope to work with stag and bone.
I don't do g10 or carbon fiber......Yuck!

I grew up in the 70's/80's. If it was used by Conan, Ninja's, or the A-Team, then I'm going to like it.

I don't like jimping or thumb ramps, I don't like fancy cutouts, or weird blade shapes with weird machining, spiked pommels, and I'm Leary about choils.... I have said it before, I keep saying it.
I like, and make.....Nice, boring knives.

Here's my first one I made for someone else..
Utility Fighter:
HSS Vintage micarta, with vintage micarta pins
l

Last edited:
This is a similar Kitchen Utility.
I made it for a friend, and I gave him the usual care and maintenance concerns with steel blades..... I think he ignores them all. Haha...Ugh.

It's also HSS but with a more traditional upward sweep to the tip. Useful with kitchen tasks.
Mesquite scales longer, more comfortable handle.

One of my personal knives I use/carry is a model I call C4.
You guessed it..... It has a 4" long blade.
It's a little/big knife. It carries easily, but can handle large jobs too.
Flat convex ground 5/32" thick 3V blade. I kept this one rough.
It's meant to be Used. Comfy, full grip. Barely. The butt palms nicely without stabbing the hand. I spent a tremendous amount of time developing these simple handles.. This one is leopard wood. It's very hard, harder feeling than oak.
I like the use of copper nickel alloy tubing. I use large outside diameter, so the i.d. is large enough to easily pass through paracord if wanted/needed.

Bottom blank.

Middle knife

Rough ground

First time using this wood, I'm really surprised how much I liked it

So this last Thanksgiving my sister had everyone over.
As a gesture I thought it would be nice to make her something.....
Her and her husband are what you'd call "Foodies". They cook and make everything.... It's always extravagant. They have a huge garden, raise chickens and ducks, have multiple beehives. Smoke meats, make, beer, can vegetables, etc. Etc...... They are in the kitchen Alot.

They have a beautiful house, and I wanted the knife to be special.
In the center of their kitchen is a huge custom island with thick maple tops.
I chose my scales to compliment their design.
I'm really happy with how it turned out.
When she unwrapped it, she quietly put It in their cutting block.
I had wanted to see her use it. I explained how I made it for them, and it's features. I think she's maybe afraid to use it???

A guy I work with is an extreme outdoorsman.
He has hunted, trapped, and killed more creatures than probably anyone around me.
He asked me about making him a Coon Skinner.
He had specifics he wanted. A large grippy handle. He wanted a built in guard. He wanted the sharp edge far enough away as to not risk the hand holding the knife. Pointy with a strong tip. This is for cutting, gutting. The big stuff. Not fine detail work.
Blocky, as to not roll around. Easy to see/find. Stay Sharp! Apparently he used to line up a dozen or so blades. He didn't believe me when I talked about this steels ability to keep a good working edge.

Coon Skinner:
HSS Blue terotuf ( hopefully that's ok posting here, I Don't use it often)
And...... This knife definitely has a 1950's vibe.
A old looking beefy utility blade for when ya are out on the lake trying to get the Evinrude started up.... Haha.
Custom bronze and aluminum hardware.
White liners.

Made my buddy a A2 Beefy fighter when he got back from the Middle East.

It was only my second knife.
First time freehand grinding double edge. Sharp.
Very time consuming, and stressful but way worth it..... Osage and copper tubing. It was before I knew about handle sculpting, and I offered to tweak it, but he loves it the way it is.
He's got a lifetime of blades coming his way.

1 1911bphil
Daniel W Daniel W
Old Hunter Old Hunter
Bloodloss Bloodloss

You guys are All too kind..... Thanks for saying that!

I'm not really sure where I'm going, I just like making knives......
I don't really like selling them, even giving them away is Hard.
I have some Scandinavian Troll blood in me, and I naturally want to hoard things (knives)
I couldn't find the knives I wanted to buy, so I decided I had to make them. I like making stuff, I always have.... and I keep finding myself wanting to do More. haha.
But I was nudged into getting a Maker's Membership here by another knifemaker, he believed I could bring some value here

I have a few ideas, and it's reassuring that others seem to like what I've made.
Even from my perspective, I feel like I've grown a lot in the last couple years.

Thank you for joining me on this journey. I hope I can keep up your interests.

I enjoyed looking at your pictures and reading the story of each knifes design and purpose - they look like knives one would be proud to own and use. OH
I know I enjoy seeing how my knife was being made (by other makers) so I figured lots of people might like to see behind the scenes.

I could post more of that if people are intrested?
*I'm currently making a cool, straight-back (in my style), it's going to have beautiful grained walnut scales, and cool bronze/aluminum hardware.

This was my first sale.
A coworker's kid had my Hunter model (prototype) on loan. I made the Hunter as a pass around knife for everyone to have it a couple weeks, then send/give to the next person.....

That was the first week of November.
Week after week. Initially my work was, well....it's Just a knife. Then, when his custom knife his girlfriend bought him "wasn't cutting it" he called out for Mine..... Only then was it starting to get used. After deer hunting season.

Then I was hearing the stories, the yarns of comparisons he and his customers at his shops would make in their makeshift cutting competitions..... Now they like my knife.
His dad tells me, he Won't give it back until I make him one to replace it.
Felt more like a ransom note.....Ha.

I caved, and to his request I made one (last week, he's had my knife for close to 4 months) smaller, about an inch less. And thinner, and shorter in height. I'm calling this my Craftsman model. It's going to be his EDC, helping with opening packages and cutting string when tying/restringing bows.
I put good effort in uping my quality, and it's looks. I'm happy with everything about it.

It was the first knife to wear my mark in the wild.
I feel I am off to a good start.

HSS warm vintage micarta
SS hardware copper nickel flared tubing
Thanks.

Last edited:
Shoot......idk if kydex is a no no Here?
I thought about that.

I wish it was leather on this one. I hope to build that skill set
Hopefully, my counterbores, if you see in one picture. They are over 70 years old, that makes up for it....... Plus they bit me, sorta. The handle scales spun, and scratched me. I'm bleeding.
Haha

Back