1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

That "ah ha!" moment

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by SuburbanBarbarian, Aug 12, 2018.

1. SuburbanBarbarian

SuburbanBarbarian

Aug 12, 2018
    So I used to carry a liner lock and/or Leatherman for EDC. Then I tried a more "friendly looking" Buck deuce and Leatherman combo. Still not there. Then I bought a Vic recruit. Getting warmer. Tried various combos. Then Bought a Huntsman and had my "Ah ha!" moment. Just right in the pocket and has what I need. What was your "Ah ha" EDC moment?

WinchesteRalox likes this.
  2. JupiterPaladin

JupiterPaladin

May 4, 2016
    Any Spyderco + Victorinox Super Tinker covers pretty much everything I need. In all honesty the SAK alone can handle 98% of my needs anyway. So the Ah ha moment was when I figured out to carry more than 1 thing at a time.

Grateful and RBid like this.
  3. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    The first time I carried a smaller slipjoint as the knife of choice for more than just a day or two I realized it's all the knife I really need.
    I don't often limit myself to the bare necessity as I have larger knives I like , but it's nice knowing what that would be and that I could do it with no problem.

SuburbanBarbarian likes this.
  4. SpySmasher

SpySmasher Lead Guitar Platinum Member

Sep 1, 2016
    Tbh, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "ah ha" moment. I suspect that I've never had one.

Lapedog likes this.
  5. ScooterG

ScooterG You mean Ireland? Yeah, it’s mine. Platinum Member

Mar 15, 2016
    9CC1BD57-435B-4968-AF7C-CC2FC6B4B637.jpeg
    6D72DE59-BB00-4229-A0E4-8B111EFE28CA.jpeg

6. SpySmasher

Sep 1, 2016
    4mer_FMF and ScooterG like this.
  7. SuburbanBarbarian

SuburbanBarbarian

Aug 12, 2018
    One day you'll have that tool, or combo of tools, and be like "this is it. All I need. I have seen the top of the mountain, and it is good." Or less excitingly, you'll just realize that you have a bunch of choices, but only take the same 1-? things every day.

8. SpySmasher

Sep 1, 2016
    No, never had that. Don't want to!

9. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Yeah - only that the very next day you will realize that you want to try out more. Ah ha?

10. ScooterG

ScooterG You mean Ireland? Yeah, it’s mine. Platinum Member

Mar 15, 2016
    13 here. The first time we had cable and turned on MTV, this video played.

SpySmasher likes this.
  11. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Every time I buy a knife, I have a "Ah Ha" moment. o_O

12. ROCK6

ROCK6 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 8, 2004
    Yeap, every new knife is an "ah ha!" moment. It's fun to recycle through older folders and reestablish/relive that "ah ha":D

DocJD and Ajack60 like this.
  13. SuburbanBarbarian

SuburbanBarbarian

Aug 12, 2018
    My wife has a similar kind of thing when I buy a new knife, but not as nice,ha ha.

Ajack60 likes this.
  14. Hackenslash

Hackenslash Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    I can't imagine ever getting to the point where one simple knife/tool combination would be all I ever want or need. If I do, that will be a sad day.

Or I'll be dead.

I hope I never have that kind of "Ah Ha!" moment...

SpySmasher and SuburbanBarbarian like this.
  15. BitingSarcasm

BitingSarcasm

Feb 25, 2014
    You were lucky. I got "Video Killed the Radio" by the Buggles the first time I turned on MTV. Scarred for life.

16. SuburbanBarbarian

SuburbanBarbarian

Aug 12, 2018
    I can identify with this line of thinking too. This line of thought seems to be showing up more and more on this thread. Maybe that itself is an "Ah ha!" moment? Everyone is different and my ADD gives me a strong pull towards new shiny things,ha ha. I like the variety of answers so far, thanks.

17. Hackenslash

Hackenslash Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    I think the very nature of Blade Forums is a gathering place for those who will likely never experience the type of "Ah Ha!' moment to which you refer.

When it comes to knives, most of us have the restraint of a relapsing crack addict and we gather here to reassure each other that the rest of the world has the problem.

It's the Circle of Knife Life and a Beautiful Thing.

18. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I've had many ah ha moments..... just can't remember them. I say a knife is the last one and 6 months later I'm looking at buying something for the same purpose. Where is the Ah Ha?

I realized a long time ago that all I need is a Victorinox SAK, but I keep getting others..... I'm not searching for the perfect knife. I just like knives.

Hickory n steel likes this.
  19. SuburbanBarbarian

SuburbanBarbarian

Aug 12, 2018
    OK, I like this answer the best.

Pomsbz likes this.
  20. peterbright

peterbright Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 29, 2016
    When I realized that 500 knives were not enough.

JupiterPaladin likes this.