1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

That "ah ha!" moment

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by SuburbanBarbarian, Aug 12, 2018.

1. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I sincerely hope I never reach 500 knives....

Imagine what folks will think of me when I die and they find "500" knives.... most people would just shake their heads and say something like "I didn't know he was so eccentric." He seemed so normal.

Pomsbz and Hickory n steel like this.
  2. peterbright

peterbright

Jul 29, 2016
    I am not normal and never have been

3. ScooterG

ScooterG You mean Ireland? Yeah, it’s mine. Gold Member

Mar 15, 2016
    There is no normal life. It’s just life. Get on with it.

4. Trevor_Phillips

Trevor_Phillips

Aug 22, 2016
    Mine would have to have been when I got a mini griptillion in M4. I'm still sad that I lost that little thing. Some day, I'm gonna pull the trigger and replace it

5. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 20, 2015
    I used to carry a Buck 110
    Then I discovered thin blades like this (less than 2mm thick at the spine for a four inch blade).
    "Ah ha!" that cuts through stuff with much less effort and more control. ;)
    IMG_3288.jpg
    Oh I have had lots of "Ah ha !" moments.
    ESPECIALLY AFTER JOINING THIS FORUM !

. . . next one came when I discovered this handle shape
    IMG_3641.jpg
    . . . in this length. See how it fits my hand. "Ah ha!" ;)
    IMG_4369.JPG

. . . another when I discovered this handle material and handle sculpting
    DOUBLE FREEKIN' "Ah ha!" ;) :thumbsup:
    IMG_4233.JPG
    IMG_4234.JPG
    So the material wears or breaks down. I made it replaceable (see photo below) so . . . duh.

Then I discovered this blade shape "Ah ha!" ;)
    The Thinned Ti Lite spear blade was good; this is better especially when it angles down from the handle like the top knife (Case Trapper).
    IMG_4179.JPG

Oh no . . . don't go away . . . there's more :
    This was a big one . . . M4 steel and not just any M4 but Spyderco's M4. "Ah ha!" :D :D :D
    I mean I suppose maybe someone, some where, is doing it better but DangDigidy Spyderco's acts, for me, like a steel alloy formed in Heaven so I don't need or want anything "better". Easy to sharpen and cuts for ever in really challenging materials.
    Oh yes and I may as well add the "Ah ha!" ;) of the blade that is thin behind the edge i.e. the Gayle Bradley . . . one of the three below (still BETTER than just a knife with a thin spine).
    IMG_5163.jpg
    :( :( :( :mad: now if I could just get these few small things in one knife . . .
    . . . ah . . . but this isn't heaven is it. o_O :poop:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    BTGuy likes this.
  6. js1badsti

js1badsti Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2015
    just like the others my recent ah ha was when I recieved my new Lionsteel PM4 3 weeks ago and has not left my pocket yet.

7. SuburbanBarbarian

SuburbanBarbarian

Aug 12, 2018
    Not sure if you're laughing at or with me, but I can roll with it either way ;)

8. Wowbagger

Sep 20, 2015
    No . . . I'm perfectly normal and I lead a perfectly normal life. It is just that everyone else is so freekin odd and weird. It kind of scares me. :):rolleyes::D

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  9. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    That's called the "Oh :poop: " moment ! :eek:

10. Wowbagger

Sep 20, 2015
    neither.
    You asked what was my "Ah ha!" EDC moment.
    and as I said I've had many and probably will have one or two more (or ten) heck I don't know.
    Chill dude; you started a great thread. :)

11. TheEdge01

TheEdge01

Apr 3, 2015
    I was only 4 in 1985, so I guess my ah ha moments came from toys instead of knives at that time.

SpySmasher likes this.
  12. Wowbagger

Sep 20, 2015
    that's a very normal well adjusted thing to say. :D

13. Wowbagger

Sep 20, 2015
    I don't think he is talking about toys or knives . . .

14. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    The ultimate "man toy" ? ;) :thumbsup:

15. TheEdge01

TheEdge01

Apr 3, 2015
    Gotcha!!!!! I just read it again and I think your right.

16. ScooterG

ScooterG You mean Ireland? Yeah, it’s mine. Gold Member

Mar 15, 2016
    As it should my friend...as it should.

17. T.L.E. Sharp

T.L.E. Sharp That's right, it's genuine Velveeta... Platinum Member

Jun 30, 2016

You need a Delica in ZDP-189

18. Ourorboros

Ourorboros

Jan 23, 2017
    Not a big "a ha" moment but: when I finally used a quality small knife.
    I had only returned to the EDC world a couple years ago. My previous knives were 2002 and before - a Benchmade, CRKT, cheap lockback, and a Pat Crawford. Which certainly filled my needs.
    Life, etc. FF and I'm in the world of J-knives. But while waiting for what I want to come in, I glance at the world of EDC knives, as they are now called. Wasn't sure about what size and such to start with. I do like to get my hand on handle - more grip means more control and J-knives can be made insanely sharp. Very adverse to sharp things hitting my skin.
    So I started with some lower cost knives first, including a Gerber Airfoil for the sub 3" blade. I knew their quality had gone down, but thought it would serve it's purpose. Well that turned me off to smaller blades, so 3.25" and above is where I dove in.
    Finally something made me try a well made <3" blade. It was fine and that is probably the largest part of my EDC collection.
    Lesson - cheap doesn't give you good info.

19. mauiblue

mauiblue

Aug 1, 2006
    The first time I laid my eyes on the Buck 501 I knew that would be my first of many EDC. That knife would be on hanging off my belt for over thirty years. I've since retired it but I always remembered my first EDC knife.

20. GIRLYmann

GIRLYmann

Nov 7, 2005
    Initially...

And then it happened :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]