That "ah ha!" moment

22-rimfire

Gold Member
I sincerely hope I never reach 500 knives....

Imagine what folks will think of me when I die and they find "500" knives.... most people would just shake their heads and say something like "I didn't know he was so eccentric." He seemed so normal.

ScooterG

You mean Ireland? Yeah, it’s mine.
Platinum Member
There is no normal life. It’s just life. Get on with it.

Mine would have to have been when I got a mini griptillion in M4. I'm still sad that I lost that little thing. Some day, I'm gonna pull the trigger and replace it

I used to carry a Buck 110
Then I discovered thin blades like this (less than 2mm thick at the spine for a four inch blade).
"Ah ha!" that cuts through stuff with much less effort and more control. ;)
IMG_3288.jpg
Getting warmer. Tried various combos. Then Bought a . . . and had . . . "Ah ha!" moment. . . . has what I need. What was your "Ah ha" EDC moment?

Oh I have had lots of "Ah ha !" moments.
ESPECIALLY AFTER JOINING THIS FORUM !

. . . next one came when I discovered this handle shape
IMG_3641.jpg
. . . in this length. See how it fits my hand. "Ah ha!" ;)
IMG_4369.JPG

. . . another when I discovered this handle material and handle sculpting
DOUBLE FREEKIN' "Ah ha!" ;) :thumbsup:
IMG_4233.JPG
IMG_4234.JPG
So the material wears or breaks down. I made it replaceable (see photo below) so . . . duh.

Then I discovered this blade shape "Ah ha!" ;)
The Thinned Ti Lite spear blade was good; this is better especially when it angles down from the handle like the top knife (Case Trapper).
IMG_4179.JPG

Oh no . . . don't go away . . . there's more :
This was a big one . . . M4 steel and not just any M4 but Spyderco's M4. "Ah ha!" :D :D :D
I mean I suppose maybe someone, some where, is doing it better but DangDigidy Spyderco's acts, for me, like a steel alloy formed in Heaven so I don't need or want anything "better". Easy to sharpen and cuts for ever in really challenging materials.
Oh yes and I may as well add the "Ah ha!" ;) of the blade that is thin behind the edge i.e. the Gayle Bradley . . . one of the three below (still BETTER than just a knife with a thin spine).
IMG_5163.jpg
:( :( :( :mad: now if I could just get these few small things in one knife . . .
. . . ah . . . but this isn't heaven is it. o_O :poop:

Last edited:
just like the others my recent ah ha was when I recieved my new Lionsteel PM4 3 weeks ago and has not left my pocket yet.

Then I discovered thin blades like this (less than 2mm thick at the spine for a four inch blade).
View attachment 964764

View attachment 964772
View attachment 964774

View attachment 964778
View attachment 964783
So the material wears or breaks down. I made it replaceable (see photo below) so . . . duh.

The Thinned Ti Lite spear blade was good; this is better especially when it angles down from the handle like the top knife (Case Trapper).
View attachment 964797

This was a big one . . . M4 steel and not just any M4 but Spyderco's M4. "Ah ha!" :D :D :D
I mean I suppose maybe someone is doing it better but DangDigidy Spyderco's acts, for me, like a steel alloy formed in Heaven so I don't need or want anything "better". Easy to sharpen and cuts for ever in really challenging materials.
Oh yes and I may as well add the "Ah ha!" ;) of the blade that is thin behind the edge i.e. the Gayle Bradley . . . one of the three below (still BETTER than just a knife with a thin spine).
View attachment 964808
:( :( :( :mad: now if I could just get these few small things in one knife . . .
Not sure if you're laughing at or with me, but I can roll with it either way ;)

There is no normal life. It’s just life. Get on with it.
No . . . I'm perfectly normal and I lead a perfectly normal life. It is just that everyone else is so freekin odd and weird. It kind of scares me. :):rolleyes::D

Last edited:
I can't imagine ever getting to the point where one simple knife/tool combination would be all I ever want or need. If I do, that will be a sad day.

Or I'll be dead.

I hope I never have that kind of "Ah Ha!" moment...
That's called the "Oh :poop: " moment ! :eek:

ScooterG

You mean Ireland? Yeah, it’s mine.
Platinum Member
No . . . I'm perfectly normal and I lead a perfectly normal life. It is just that everyone else is so freekin odd and weird. It kind of scares me. :):rolleyes::D
As it should my friend...as it should.

T.L.E. Sharp

Freedom for @Fullflat!!!
Platinum Member
View attachment 964764

View attachment 964772
View attachment 964774

View attachment 964778
View attachment 964783

View attachment 964797

I mean I suppose maybe someone, some where, is doing it better but DangDigidy Spyderco's acts, for me, like a steel alloy formed in Heaven so I don't need or want anything "better". Easy to sharpen and cuts for ever in really challenging materials.
View attachment 964808

You need a Delica in ZDP-189

Not a big "a ha" moment but: when I finally used a quality small knife.
I had only returned to the EDC world a couple years ago. My previous knives were 2002 and before - a Benchmade, CRKT, cheap lockback, and a Pat Crawford. Which certainly filled my needs.
Life, etc. FF and I'm in the world of J-knives. But while waiting for what I want to come in, I glance at the world of EDC knives, as they are now called. Wasn't sure about what size and such to start with. I do like to get my hand on handle - more grip means more control and J-knives can be made insanely sharp. Very adverse to sharp things hitting my skin.
So I started with some lower cost knives first, including a Gerber Airfoil for the sub 3" blade. I knew their quality had gone down, but thought it would serve it's purpose. Well that turned me off to smaller blades, so 3.25" and above is where I dove in.
Finally something made me try a well made <3" blade. It was fine and that is probably the largest part of my EDC collection.
Lesson - cheap doesn't give you good info.

The first time I laid my eyes on the Buck 501 I knew that would be my first of many EDC. That knife would be on hanging off my belt for over thirty years. I've since retired it but I always remembered my first EDC knife.

So....What was your "Ah ha" EDC moment?
Initially...
And then it happened :)
8867292741662_celum_128797_320Wx280H.jpg

mon_premier_opinel_rouge_web.jpg

Native XF ad, Below bottom BC