The “Can’t leave anything alone” Thread

Here is my CKF Spinner I played around with.
g99kqSu.jpg

Personal piece I scratched up last night, went with somethinga little funky and different to match the pivot:)

View attachment 1366130

And here we go again....jamming up my thread with your awesomeness!! Excellent work. Really like that. Perfect pattern for said knife. Different, matching, and interesting. Excellent job, Chip!

Hello folks, OP here. I’m really sorry I havent been able to comment on everyones mods, but there are some really great ones in this thread so far. Keep the photos coming. :)

I have been working on some other projects recently, and as this is the modding thread, I decided not to post the photos here. However, im not below adding a link for your viewing pleasure. Lol.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/thistle-in-dyed-stabilized-maple-burl.1734157/

If I havent responded to your mod post, don’t think I’m not a fan! I’ll try to comment more in the future.

Thank you all for participating in this thread!

I decided to incorporate the chiseled/hammered look into the blade as well...I still need to sand/soften the texture but I like the way it looks so far...
ci9afA7.jpg

rRFcVqL.jpg

I'd like to darken the "hammered" area... anybody have recommendations on how to do that? The steel is CPM 154.

Last edited:
I am not sure how I have missed this awesome thread!
Here a few I have.

Feist_REK_edge.JPG

Kizer Feist regound by Josh @REK.
It is amazingly precise hollow grind to a thin edge.

Otnat1.jpg

Another one done by Josh.
The knife is now almost perfect.

Chef_satin.JPG

The last one is done by me.
I was able to thin down the blade slightly with sandpaper.

I've got Lionsteel Shuffler recently.
Very nice modernized slip joint.
But I just couldn't live with the thick edge.

Shuffler_sanded.jpg

Probably, I should have sent it to Josh in the first place.
Anyway, I hand sanded the blade with #120 Silicon carbide paper to almost zero grind.
It took me about an hour.

Edit: Zero grind was too exaggerated. At the end, I was able to bring the BTE down to 0.01" from 0.025" at 15 DPS.

Last edited:
Scales for the PM2 will be here Monday, hopefully sooner. Black screws Friday.

I ordered both the same day. Screws came from California, scales Wisconsin. I'm in Chicago. Why does it take longer to ship from Wisconsin than California.

Update: apparently the nearest hub is in St. Paul, so was delayed there. Supposedly on the road here.

Got an update from the Usually Sucky Postal Service saying the scales are out for delivery today. So much for the projected date of Monday. I'm happy. I'll take pics tonight.

I'd like to darken the "hammered" area... anybody have recommendations on how to do that? The steel is CPM 154.
I'd apply nail polish to the parts you want to remain the same, then dip it in 1/2 strength ferric chloride for about 30 minutes.

Here's an example where I did just that very thing. I haven't posted it yet because this project isn't complete yet.

Note that afterwards, I attacked
it with a Sharpmaker rod to get that stonewashy look.

This is an S35VN blade. Very similar in corrosion resistance to 154CM.
20200614_193743_resize_95~2.jpg
20200614_195543_resize_4.jpg 20200626_202205~2_resize_78.jpg

You could attempt vinegar with that same method if you don't have ferric chloride, but I doubt it'll get it dark enough for you. This is one is about 20 minutes, give or take, on 52100 steel, which has about as much corrosion resistance as rebar (in other words, no corrosion resistance whatsoever).

20200624_062145~3_resize_30.jpg

Last edited:
Back