The 2019 Garden, Landscape, and Other Stuff Thread...

taldesta taldesta The scale of things has always been a question in my mind in terms of managing the land. You have a riding mower. A half acre is not too much to manage with the mower. You just have to get it to a height (tallest setting) and all obstructions removed to mow it every month or two or as you said twice a year. A lot depends on your health of course and a willingness to do the work. As you mentioned in the past... being a slave to the maintenance or scope of a garden.

Several of the neighbors have their yards mowed biweekly. For the most part this approach works if you aren't all hung up on having the perfect yard. Only during the height of the growing season is there a question of about biweekly frequency being enough. They mow the highways here generally twice a year and they tend to get a bit unkept overall, but still manageable with the type of mowers they use.

Hate to see the flowers go with the frost. That shot is pretty and has that "dried flower" appeal.

They are predicting some rain here that is desperately needed today later and tomorrow. It is so dry that a couple inches of rain won't make much difference overall, but its' something. I'll take it regardless of the amount! I have not heard if folks with private wells are struggling in the area. (There aren't that many left.) It has to be regular rainfall to bring the area out of the moderate drought ranking. Some areas are in severe drought. Now the press is saying something called a "Flash Drought".... I suspect it relates to the tremendous impact of these unseasonable 90 degree+ days and the heat records being recorded in the last week.

Last edited:
I hear you - my riding mower will do the flattest central section of the lower field (and I might do this) - not the ditching along both sides of the long laneway and its deck cannot be raised high enough to even give it access to the irregular hillsides here even if I would stay on it on the inclines :eek: which I won't - pleading total chicken on this one. My mower goes off-bubble and the tilt simply scares me. Even on the incline by the house I will drive uphill and downhill, not across ... weird I know. Not enough to roll the mower - but my internal level is not convinced.

The rainfall is so important for the trees here in this climate for them to survive the winter well. Hoping you see enough rain soon.

I guess that if I knew someone to do this sort of grounds maintenance, I would ask pricing before I did the mowing myself. You never know. It might be the same price? Plus you have to get the tall stuff mowed down first although a lot of it may be flattened by the snow in the Spring.

A lot of people feel that way about inclines and riding mowers. I think it has to do with the feeling that your top heavy riding on it and obviously could turn over and potentially injure you.

That’s why we hired Einstein. (Terraced yard w/ slope.) Recently, we moved on to Oppenheimer who uses an industrial mower that he stands on/behind. (Einstein defrauded Oppenheimer and therefore is out of the picture.) He has to use wooden planks to access the further reaches of the yard—can’t just lift or push the mower over a stone retaining wall.

I know what taldesta taldesta means about the gas trimmers. I hate the noise and fumes from all of these. At least our guy gets in and out very quickly with his rigs and he doesn’t “blow” the refuse around.

(I swear the lady next door could hire a guy with a tweezers to do her lawn, and it would be quicker than what she has now.) Pain in the butt to listen to him “mow” and manicure a postage stamp for hours—that ends up looking like a weed patch with trimmed side burns.

I’ve got ~10 peppers (on the plant) that I’m waiting on to turn red. Any hope this will happen with the 50*F temps?

My 2 potted mums suicided off the deck in a major blustery storm. Found one had done a header —and now has a huge bald spot. Half the blooms turned brown on the other.

Also, a few mostly wee (green) tomatoes still on vine.

How much longer would you recommend giving the peppers and tomatoes before picking?

I’ve got ~10 peppers (on the plant) that I’m waiting on to turn red. Any hope this will happen with the 50*F temps?

My 2 potted mums suicided off the deck in a major blustery storm. Found one had done a header —and now has a huge bald spot. Half the blooms turned brown on the other.

How much longer would you recommend giving the peppers and tomatoes before picking?
Leave them until the first frost that's why I picked mine supposed to get really cold tomorrow .

I would leave them on the plant until you are fairly certain of a frost that night and pick them. Basically don't let them weather through a freeze. The small tomatoes will ripen even though they are what we would consider immature under normal circumstances.

I had a couple small tomatoes on a Big Boy plant and left them be and they ripened in the last week. Then I yanked the plant yesterday as it was unlikely any new tomatoes would develop or have time to develop on the very limited foliage remaining on the plant. The two tomatoes I planted in containers in mid-July are still growing and have some green fruit on them. I of the ones I took the picture in the basket earlier, I gave about half of them to the neighbor as we would never use all of them.

Saw a hummingbird this morning. I had replaced the nectar (made one pint) about a week ago. Checked it and it was "sour", so I mixed up some new. The humming bird was hovering in front of the window like asking me to replace the nectar. Feed me! We'll see if I see her return, but I had not been seeing any hummingbirds since Oct. 3rd. Most are gone now to be sure. This one may be migrating and stopped at the feeder for a recharge.

Mums are pretty hardy in terms of the cold. Nip off the brown blooms trying not to hit the other bloom buds that are probably there.

....I know what taldesta taldesta means about the gas trimmers. I hate the noise and fumes from all of these. At least our guy gets in and out very quickly with his rigs and he doesn’t “blow” the refuse around.
Try running a gasoline generator inside your house if you want FUMES. :D I tried that on a job that I didn't have an extension cord long enough to reach that day..... never again! I really dislike the noise of the gas trimmers and of course all the fiddling you generally have to do after they are about year old.

Try running a gasoline generator inside your house if you want FUMES. :D I tried that on a job that I didn't have an extension cord long enough to reach that day..... never again! I really dislike the noise of the gas trimmers and of course all the fiddling you generally have to do after they are about year old.
I think they are deafening (but I have extremely sensitive hearing) and a general noise nuisance--esp. the numbnuts who trims at 8 am on Sunday when I'm out enjoying the peace and quiet.

And whoa on those fumes!! Did any detectors go off? CO2? Have to sleep with the windows and doors open?

....And whoa on those fumes!! Did any detectors go off? CO2? Have to sleep with the windows and doors open?
This was a job and nobody was living in the house at the time. I have never tried it inside a living space or in my own home. I have my breaker box set up to plug a generator directly into house current if I need it. I would just kill all the breakers (to off) and choose the ones I needed that weren't 220 which are easy to distinguish in the breaker box.

Did do it pressure washing a basement once and that is what pushed me to buy a good electric pressure washer for those times it isn't open air. I thought with a fan running and available doors and windows open, it would be enough ventilation; it wasn't.

This was a job and nobody was living in the house at the time. I have never tried it inside a living space or in my own home. I have my breaker box set up to plug a generat(or directly into house current if I need it. I would just kill all the breakers (to off) and choose the ones I needed that weren't 220 which are easy to distinguish in the breaker box.

Did do it pressure washing a basement once and that is what pushed me to buy a good electric pressure washer for those times it isn't open air. I thought with a fan running and available doors and windows open, it would be enough ventilation; it wasn't.
Thanks. I was thinking of the time you lost your heat (?) earlier this year, and was thinking that is what you meant by "job."

This also made me recall a time when I slept through a CO2 detector in the bedroom about 4 feet away. I wonder how often that happens.

Thanks. I was thinking of the time you lost your heat (?) earlier this year, and was thinking that is what you meant by "job."

This also made me recall a time when I slept through a CO2 detector in the bedroom about 4 feet away. I wonder how often that happens.
I imagine it happens a lot. Since I have a hearing issue, I could easily sleep through a detector alarm in my house if I was tired. I seldom hear the doorbell ring. The HVAC people refused to install the two new furnaces until I had the money in hand. Technically I could have swung the cost, but I waited for insurance money. (I still had to cover the deductible.) Fortunately, during the loss of all heat earlier this year, we were able to use electric heaters mostly and it was "enough" supplemented with a propane heater occasionally (with care) since it was an open flame and would generate CO2 gas. As I recall it was March and it is getting warmer by then here. Nights were chilly. I also had a brand new kerosene heater that I purchased in late 1999 (Y2K deal) for emergency heat but we have never had to use it. It's still in the box after 19 years. :D I dislike kerosene heating, but I'd do it if I had to.

My sister's comment when my HVAC units went out..... wow.... I wish mine would too ;) as her system was approaching it's typical lifespan.

Last edited:
No doubt you are glad to have that replacement behind you!

I have the opposite hearing issue: I can hear the kitchen clock ticking on the opposite side of the house now—and it sounds quite loud to me. (Most people can’t hear it when they are next to it.) I must have been in a deep, deep sleep, but it got me wondering how effective those gadgets are or if I need 2 in the same room. (Every winter there are a few news stories about the family that never woke up. Usually, they forget to shovel the dryer vent.)

I check my dryer vent periodically. But I probably need to clean it again.

I had a slight hearing issue which I think was the result of shooting guns with unprotected ears when I was young, and working around heavy machinery for years. I can't prove it, but my hearing went down hill real fast within a 6 month period of time and I think it was (and is) the result of my Alpha Gal red meat allergy (from tics) that showed up about 6-7 years ago. My ear doctor knows nothing about the allergy or it's effects. The effects vary with the person from severe reactions to ALL meat to what appears to be a modest reaction to red meat only in my case. But it's enough to change your life. I asked my allergist "for how long?" and he said most likely for the rest of your life. Take this antihistamine (Zyrtec) every day for the rest of your life..... (You have to understand that I have never taken medicine for long periods of time.) I was pleased when Burger King brought out their "Impossible burger"; it is actually really good and you can't tell it from a regular hamburger.

I neglected to add “in the winter.” What happens is: a snow storm, maybe not great accumulation, that drifts large quantities of snow that obstruct dryer vents and car tail pipes. So, without visually inspecting these areas one would think there is no problem. Oops.

I can believe it with the hearing loss and firearms use. That’s the reason I avoid loud sounds. My house is like a library. I don’t stick anything in or on my ears to listen either. But I’m abnormal.:D

That’s curious about the allergy and hearing. If the allergy affects your sinuses/ears (which they can) I believe it. That’s why nasal sprays can help with hearing. I take Zyrtec daily, too, to counteract another medication…:thumbsdown:

At least you figured it out. Plenty of people never figure out what they are allergic to because there is no test…

I guess you know that Cetirizine sold at Sam's Club (370 ct bottles) is a generic substitute for Zyrtec and pretty inexpensive. My allergist pointed me in that direction when I mentioned the stuff was pretty expensive for over the counter drugs.

If I eat red meat and react, I get hives all over my body (lots of them), outside and inside.....not pleasant and a bit scary inside your body. I probably need to cut out all beef and see what happens. I still will eat spaghetti and an occasional small portion of roast which has little grease. I think grease is the trigger; so juicy hamburgers are out and have been for years. I am not a vegetarian. They say that if you feed the allergy it will continue..... I know I am still allergic somewhat as I get a little itch from time to time that I can't explain and usually after eating fast food. Probably from grease that red meat was made in perhaps even though I had not ordered a red meat item? The thing is if I have a severe reaction, I could literally die. Used to keep an EPI (sp?) pen in my vehicle all the time. I have not had a severe reaction since before my first visit to the allergist and we figured it out at least somewhat.

A while back I was at Burger King to get the Impossible Burger. I mentioned to the Assistant Manager that I like these "burgers" and am allergic to red meat. He told me he tried one as soon as they came out so he could relate to customers the taste and so forth. He told me his daughter (in Ohio, so grown up) had just developed a red meat allergy and they were struggling with it..... I made a few suggestions to pass onto his daughter based on my own experience for years. Also gave a Facebook reference for a private group who are all suffering from the Alpha Gal red meat allergy. I was the first "patient" to experience this with my allergist and he is very well known in my area. He had read about it, had a suspicion, and asked if I was willing to get my blood tested. I had been at a loss as to what was causing my reaction as nothing had changed in my life except I got a serious allergy reaction seemingly out of nowhere. At the time it was pretty specialized. I have learned in recent years that a lot of the service techs for the cable and utility company have it because of their exposure to Tics. There were only about 1000 known cases when I developed the allergy and I bet there are thousands now. It is all kind of interesting.

The hearing thing is not typical. But I would bet that it is related to my red meat allergy... essentially the insides of my ears swell up and restrict sound transmission to my inner ear. I notice some days a cotton swab goes in real easy and other days it is restricted. I also notice better hearing on some days versus others. So, there is something going on that has not been explained.

Last edited:
I don't take generics. Have experienced near lethal treatment failure that took years to recover from. In the case of cetirizine, too many side-effects: felt super groggy and tired, not on the brand gel caps. Have 4-5 examples of inefficacy, intolerable side-effects, or both with generics, and I (almost) gladly pay more.

Thanks for telling me about this meat allergy. I learned something! I am familiar with anaphylactic reactions, and that sounds very scary to have hives and worse. After a very, very quick search, I read the wikipedia info, and it mentions that it may be possible to outgrow this allergy in 5(?) years. Mentioned two cases of people who were desensitized. Maybe this will abate with time? I didn't do a thorough read through PubMed for other information...so wiki might not be up to date. Be careful!

Yeah, it is not just Lyme disease with Tics or Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. I do very thorough "Tic checks" after being out in the woods or especially walking in tall grass. My older brother developed Lyme disease from a Tic In PA. PA has some of the highest incidence of Lyme disease in the country. He got it under control with antibiotics. He has not developed the Alpha Gal red meat allergy. I keep a close watch for tics on myself when I am out in the woods. I recall one incident years ago where I crawled into a somewhat dark space along a stream in the woods and came out with what I suspect was a thousand tics on me (the little ones sometimes called "seed tics"). The allergy made me stop hunting completely and restricted my woods wanderings and trail hiking.

I probably need to get a new blood test done to check status as it is possible that my sensitivity has decreased. It is something I have been putting off as I have sort of adjusted to the situation. The one thing this did was it pretty muck killed grilling outside burgers and such. It used to be a fairly common thing we did.

I never had any side effects that I am aware of with Cetirizine. But I pretty much stopped taking it at all. I just don't like to take drugs of any kind including aspirin (unless I have to). I keep some around just in case for a quick antihistamine treatment if the need develops. I saw no purpose in taking Cetirizine or Zytec for something that happened 5+ years ago and has not happened since. But I pay attention.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On the garden front, I moved my two container tomatoes to a sunnier location as the temps are more fall like this week. Still getting peppers, more than I can use. Probably going to aerate my lawn and over-seed (fescue) this week. That is something I have been putting off due to the drought and the necessity of watering every single day to get the seed started and growing to about a 1 inch height before slowing the watering down. We need a good tropical storm to hit Alabama and with the normal jet stream pattern, it usually moves northward and then eastward along the Appalachians rather than what has happened to date with the storms staying on the Eastern side of the Appalachians this year.

Thinking seriously of yanking some flowering plants (Lantana) a little early and planting pansies to get them started by the first freeze here. The cooler nights have cut down the amount of new blooms considerably. There are lots of seeds on the plants and they turn blue when they are "ripe". Getting rid of Lantan plants before the seeds have matured may be a good thing. They come up all over the place and I am constantly pulling the wild versions.

Time for me to make a trip to the Smoky Mt NP. Fall colors have not really developed here yet. The dogwoods (an early foliage changer) are just starting to turn now. I would be looking for general scenics and wildlife.

Last edited:
Path to the veg garden is FROSTY this morning! Hey there, gardeners:)
DSCF7893 PATH TO VEG GARDEN 650 MED.jpg

The sunflower, planted by birds in the pot of a chenille (Red Hot Cattails) which is an indirect light loving plant - matured very late understandably. It comes inside overnights with frost and has, over time, bloomed. The few remaining bees appreciate it. Hollyhocks from seed (set out on pot for sun also) need transplanting to a suitable location - undecided at present - they will be huge and will require staking.
DSCF7884 SUNFLOWER DAISY DEZ 650 MED.jpg
DSCF7888 SUNFLOWER BEE 650 MED.jpg

Frosty Bee Balm may provide seed for winter birds and so I will not cut it down. Other plants will have to go - cosmos.
DSCF7901 BEE BALM BEST COSMOS FROST 650 MED.jpg

So much rain (good for trees) has delayed shed construction but deck is ready - pressure treated lumber will last. Woodpile is being sorted according to size and moved forward for easy winter access - so glad I had two year's worth brought in last year.
DSCF7896 SHED PLATFORM 650 MED.jpg

Colour here is spectacular - so late in the season!

Back